BAD: SMU student mugged in bathroom of campus science building

This is a discussion on BAD: SMU student mugged in bathroom of campus science building within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...building.html/ This is another reason to allow campus carry....

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Snub44
  • 4 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By MJB_17
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: BAD: SMU student mugged in bathroom of campus science building

VIP Member

BAD: SMU student mugged in bathroom of campus science building

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...building.html/

This is another reason to allow campus carry.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

...not many places we're as vulnerable as standing at a urinal with our back to the world...bears some thought and preparation...(think BUG)
    redsaber75 and Spade115 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...not many places we're as vulnerable as standing at a urinal with our back to the world...bears some thought and preparation...(think BUG)

Or think

Use a stall... always.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

...great idea...if you're young enough to have the luxury of waiting for one to come open...
    Taurahe likes this.

Yup. Being unarmed and incapable of effectively defending oneself against a deadly attack is a problem. It's the one irrefutably good reason to be armed and capable. It's the one daily reminder of just how important the RKBA is, to keep our hirelings in check with respect to determining who gets to live or die.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OK, I'm calling BS on this. Here's why:

-Suspect description, namely the jacket, makes no sense. It was close to 90 at that time yesterday, in long pants and a North Face you would be sweating profusely, even if it was a light weight one.

-I know Fondren Science well, most areas are locked after 5pm when normal classes end. There are a number of labs in the building that contain some very expensive equipment and the security is there to match.

-In the recent past, more than one SMU student has falsified being the victim of a crime for other personal reasons. This alleged victim's description of the robber is a very generic description of many male students in colder weather. Let's just say that the words "SMU" and "diversity" aren't typically seen together unless separated by "has a lack of". There have been several incidents recently, namely a male student who claimed he was umm "mouth raped" (for lack of a better term) by another student twice in a fraternity house and a parking garage on campus. Turns out, the incident was not as assault at all, rather it was consensual and the claim was made after the other student refused to accept the alleged victim as his partner openly.

I believe they will determine this incident did not occur, the minor injury was self inflicted and that there was likely some personal motivating factor behind making this claim. Trust me, there are some epic narcissists at SMU.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    OK, I'm calling BS on this. Here's why:

-Suspect description, namely the jacket, makes no sense. It was close to 90 at that time yesterday, in long pants and a North Face you would be sweating profusely, even if it was a light weight one.
    Well, if you're a felon who's about to engage in a felonious deadly assault, keeping out of the way of cameras and witnesses would be useful. Even in 90 degree weather, a light hoodie or other jacket could easily be put on for the duration.

-I know Fondren Science well, most areas are locked after 5pm when normal classes end. There are a number of labs in the building that contain some very expensive equipment and the security is there to match.
    And yet, if a rest room, it's entirely possible for that area to be open later, or all hours. (Don't know that building, myself.)

I believe they will determine this incident did not occur, the minor injury was self inflicted and that there was likely some personal motivating factor behind making this claim. Trust me, there are some epic narcissists at SMU.
    Entirely possible. Ya never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...great idea...if you're young enough to have the luxury of waiting for one to come open...
    Well, I believe the "Student" was probably young enough. I believe that at a campus building, there are probably a plethora of stalls, all available, or nearly all available, after hours.

And I'm older, too.... And I dirink BUCKETS of coffee... Like all boy scouts, I am prepared.
    And, my ears still work... If someone comes into the restroom, I'll hear them... SA SA SA and "adjust" accordingly.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Texas has the bill for campus carry in the works again. It was rejected a couple years ago, hopefully it makes it through this time.

VIP Member
    I'm not prepared to speculate on whether this is real or not, as MJB_ ... has, but North Face Jacket yesterday? That is really odd.

As for vulnerability in public restrooms, I am not sure they are less safe than any other public place. The thief will never know
    when or if another user might enter, and this raises the risk of being caught. The thief has to contend with all elements of surprise
    which might come his way, and at a University where young people are the target of the attack, there are often significant numbers
    of young men who have at least some H2H training and who may be carrying a knife.

I think if I were a thief I'd try a safer place like an unlit parking lot frequented by middle aged people.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

...I'll keep my eye open for you...oh, wait, you said MIDDLE aged...

Links