Brutal - family lucky to be alive

This is a discussion on Brutal - family lucky to be alive within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 3 attacked at gas station on Mother?s Day for ?being in the wrong neighborhood? | WVLA NBC33 | Baton Rouge News, Weather and Sports This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Brutal - family lucky to be alive

3 attacked at gas station on Mother?s Day for ?being in the wrong neighborhood? | WVLA NBC33 | Baton Rouge News, Weather and Sports

This is about 2 miles from my office. if this had been me I would definitely would have shot this guy. With up to 20 "witnesses" hanging around it makes a good arguement for carrying a hi cap handgun. This guy is very lucky that he and his family are alive.

And if somebody can explain to me why this isn't a hate crime, I'm all ears.

im glad my wife carries a .45 and we train together. if i was being attacked and was knocked out she would be ready to defend herself against the 2 assailants.
    squid86 likes this.

That's not far from me. What I'm afraid of, though... is the first punch is going to knock me out. I don't know if I'm weak or what. Sometimes I notice that people can't help but get close, like standing in line for something. How would I defend myself that way?
    ItalianSteel likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Something seems amiss to me. I would like to see if there is more to this story.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Why is this not called a hate crime? I am sure that if I had attacked the scumbag pictured in my neighborhood I would have been charged with a hate crime. Gee, Jessie could have have made a few bucks, if it had happen in my neighborhood, spouting off his foul comments and soliciting donations for his Rainbow Coalition Organization...

I am to old to fight but I am sure that if I had been involved the guy would be either recovering in the hospital or laid out in the local morgue.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    That's not far from me. What I'm afraid of, though... is the first punch is going to knock me out. I don't know if I'm weak or what. Sometimes I notice that people can't help but get close, like standing in line for something. How would I defend myself that way?
    You can be taught to take a punch (to a certain extent anyway).

This kinda thing really pisses me off.
    mano3 and goldmaster like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Back in the late 80's I used to work not far from that area.... it's never been the 'best' of neighborhoods but sounds like things have gotten considerably worse.

Here's an update: BRPD: Family attacked for being in "wrong neighborhood" - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

The news crew did a pretty good job in the video covering this me thinks.... imagine that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Just politely ask the attacker to stop throwing blows :-) or just take it or take up some mma classes
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

“you’re in the wrong neighborhood and you're not going to make it out.” I've hear gang members here in Detroit utter the same statement on radio/television when explaining a murder. Since this is obviously their outlook, I take them at their word and haven't crossed Eight Mile since the Red Wings last played for the Stanley Cup. There's nothing down there worth my life.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

You're in the wrong neighborhood and your not going to make ... BANG BANG

Hate crime issues avoided.... Nice A zone on his forehead.

Disparity of force; threat of gang attack unfolding. It's why we go armed, why we train. Letting them get anywhere near was the mistake. Letting it go beyond the first threatening act was the mistake. And it cost them dearly.

Of course, this all presumes the people had an alternative, that they'd taken the least measures to ensure the were armed and capable of effectively withstanding violent assault by others. Doesn't seem to be the case, here. Bummer for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    And if somebody can explain to me why this isn't a hate crime, I'm all ears.
    All such unjustifiable violence crimes of this sort are infused with hate, you're right. It's a superfluous term, IMO. We should just treat such acts for what they are, and heavily hold the perpetrators accountable for the least cost they've inflicted upon others, every single time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The term "hate crime" is idiotic. Any aggravated assault is a hate crime, and misguided political correctness has led to the artificial distinction. I understand the motivation for the law but I feel it unfairly treats one kind of victim as more worthy of justice and one kind of perp for deserving of punishment. The same faulty thinking lies behind affirmative action and more severe punishment for those assaulting or killing a LEO.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    I see it growing like a cancer. I've lost investment properties to the gang community 'claiming' the block that they were one (it kills the value, and you end up selling for next to nothing).

Buckle up, it's only going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I see it growing like a cancer. I've lost investment properties to the gang community 'claiming' the block that they were one (it kills the value, and you end up selling for next to nothing).
    What needs to happen is the police, sheriff and community coming together to rid the entire area of all such gang influences, taking back everything. Harsh, heavy-handed treatment, long removal from society. 10/20/Gone type treatment, at minimum. These jackals are destroying whole communities, whole cities.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Buckle up, it's only going to get worse.
    In many places that fail to treat such things head-on and harshly, I agree.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; May 14th, 2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: grammar
    WHEC724 and Sig 210 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links