Boston : Officer shot by "friendly fire"

This is a discussion on Boston : Officer shot by "friendly fire" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As discussed here many times, all bullets end up somewhere, and knowing your background..... or getting cover. http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/bos...out/index.html Friendly fire led to officer's shooting during ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Boston : Officer shot by "friendly fire"

As discussed here many times, all bullets end up somewhere, and knowing your background..... or getting cover.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/bos...out/index.html

Friendly fire led to officer's shooting during Boston manhunt

Among the new details from the two police sources:

-- Police fired nearly 300 rounds of ammunition within five to 10 minutes as they confronted the suspects –
    100 more than initially reported. And that included one round that nearly killed Massachusetts Transit Police Officer Richard Donohue.
    (Others bullets struck the Tsarnaev brothers, seriously injuring Dzhokhar and contributing to the death of Tamerlan.)

more @ link.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

So police are allowed to fire 300 rounds at two guys no questions asked but I should be limited to seven regardless of how many attackers. Hmmmm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

VIP Member
    From the sound of it, they are dang lucky they did not kill random civilians in the neighborhood. It would be interesting to know where all the bullets ended up.

Now to feed the conspiracy - I wonder if the mandatory search the next day was to find potential victims of his indiscriminate shooting and just make it look like a manhunt.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    From the sound of it, they are dang lucky they did not kill random civilians in the neighborhood. It would be interesting to know where all the bullets ended up.

Now to feed the conspiracy - I wonder if the mandatory search the next day was to find potential victims of his indiscriminate shooting and just make it look like a manhunt.
    i could see that happening. i remember reading somewhere when i was doing research that the average accuracy of LEO's during a gunfight is about 20%. the guy in the video is absolutely right about the contagious shooting, where one person starts to shoot and others start shooting and it just gets crazy. ive never been in that situation but i could imagine that when bullets start to fly you get pretty shaken up and your adrenaline rush leads to you not fully paying attention to the surrounding area behind the shooter. luckily no innocent bystanders were injured.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    So now instead of finding you dead in a pile of empty brass, they'll find you dead in a pile of empty brass and mags?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    So police are allowed to fire 300 rounds at two guys no questions asked but I should be limited to seven regardless of how many attackers. Hmmmm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. And??

What's your point?

[/SNARKASM]

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Annoying bit is that the mainstream media will not report this discovery (on the air). It will remain as the public thinking the brothers injured that officer instead. Not defending the suspects here, just saying I dislike how the media likes to say this and that, yet never fix their mistakes in reporting unless it suits their agenda.

Funny, I'm having problems loading that link too.
    Oldpsufan and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post

They are ... . if you watch the video, they are pointing out bullet holes in a house 1 block away from the officers, and 1/2 block behind the 2 brothers, that penetrated the wall and went thru several rooms in the house, another ended up stopped by a wood banister on a stairway, etc.

I'm sure if this was a "citizen" , they would be in jail for being neglectful and endangering others. .... even if they were shooting in self-defense.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I just wish they would refer to the suspects as "Hot Rod" and "Speed Bump"
    WHEC724 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    One of many of "Murphys Law"...

"There aint no such thing as friendly fire"
    Secret Spuk and NH_Esau like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I saw a picture after the shooting where a police bullet when through a house and through the headrest of a chair in someones home office.

The entire thing was a joke.

I'm sure if this was a "citizen" , they would be in jail for being neglectful and endangering others. .... even if they were shooting in self-defense.
    This registers as a whine. And this thread has transcended to police bashing, from whatever possible training application it could have had.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Has it been confirmed that an officer was hit by his own co-workers?... or is this some speculation? Why is it some members chide the police for doing the same thing that they say that they will do?.. Shoot until the threat is neutralized. I take exception to the internet experts who find fault with so much of what the police do. I know there are others who have been involved in shooting incidents... But it seems they are never the one's who judge others. The Police are human, they are subject to the same emotions, mistakes, issues as anyone else. I'm not suggesting the police in this cas did a great job... IMO they were ill prepared for the situation. But as it stands they did what they did... Again they are human like everyone else. Intelligent people dont stand around lamenting things they cant change... but looking for repairs and soloutions.

Like I said in hindsight they could have done a better job. My opinion is they failed to reach out to other departments that may have had more experience in these matters. But unless you have walked a post in a bad neighborhood, or ridden in a radio car on a hot summer night, your opinions are just that. Cops put their pants on one leg at a time... Just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I saw a picture after the shooting where a police bullet when through a house and through the headrest of a chair in someones home office.

The entire thing was a joke.
    On the 2nd floor of their house (across the street from where the brothers were) ... and not just one shot either.... other rounds hit things in there. Can you imagine being that bad of a shot ?? I can't. If I couldn't shoot better than that, I just wouldn't shoot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Has it been confirmed that an officer was hit by his own co-workers?... or is this some speculation?
    CNN calls it friendly fire and the article seems to support it. Of course, who knows if the agency of the shooter was really friendly with the MTA, the agency of the shot.

Friendly fire led to officer's shooting during Boston manhunt - CNN.com

Police fired nearly 300 rounds of ammunition within five to 10 minutes as they confronted the suspects -- 100 more than initially reported. And that included one round that nearly killed Massachusetts Transit Police Officer Richard Donohue.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links