WNEP - Armed Son Stops Robber From Escaping Secluded Home [VIDEO]

This is a discussion on WNEP - Armed Son Stops Robber From Escaping Secluded Home [VIDEO] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link: WNEP - Northeastern & Central Pennsylvania (INCLUDES VIDEO) As of this posting, at the bottom of the article on WNEP: 10 people "Agree" .. ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By jhogan2424
  • 3 Post By WHEC724
  • 4 Post By Harryball

Thread: WNEP - Armed Son Stops Robber From Escaping Secluded Home [VIDEO]

Thumbs up WNEP - Armed Son Stops Robber From Escaping Secluded Home [VIDEO]

Link: WNEP - Northeastern & Central Pennsylvania (INCLUDES VIDEO)

As of this posting, at the bottom of the article on WNEP: 10 people "Agree" .. 3 people "Disagree" .. 1 person says it's a "Must Read" .. 3 people view this article as "Important" .. 3 people view this article as "Inspiring". (This includes my input and you can choose multiple categories).

*I guess 3 people would rather hide like a coward and allow this man to steal whatever he wants from their parents' home.

LIMESTONE TOWNSHIP — A man out for a run near Jersey Shore noticed something not quite right at his parents’ home.
    He stopped to investigate and ended up holding a suspected burglar at gunpoint.
    State police charged Donald Dangle, Jr. of Jersey Shore with burglarizing a home Monday afternoon.
    Dangle may not have been caught if it weren’t for the homeowners’ son whose quick thinking foiled any plan the alleged burglar may have had.
    Early afternoon and a good distance off Route 44 near Jersey Shore, state police had a suspected burglar in custody.
    Troopers were called to the secluded home around 1 p.m. and when they got there, the homeowners’ son seemed to have everything under control.
    “I came across, peeked in, and saw him going through the cabinetry of the house, so I went and retrieved my firearm and confronted him,” said Andrew Lyon.
    Lyon knew something was up when he noticed a strange vehicle in the driveway. Then he saw the front door to his parents’ home was kicked in. He went and got his gun, and held the intruder at gunpoint until state police showed up.
    “He was very cooperative, I had a Glock .45 pointed at his face,” said Lyon.
    “I asked him a few questions and learned very quickly he didn’t know who lived here and there was no reason he should be here.”
    Troopers arrived soon after a call to 911 and took Dangle away to face charges.
    A tow truck was called in to haul away Dangle’s vehicle and after scoping out the house, the owners discovered Dangle had filled a bag with jewelry but never got away, except in the back of a state police cruiser.
    “I’m sure we’ll find out more about him. It really makes no sense, he was very comfortable in my parents’ home,” added Lyon.
    Donald Dangle is locked up in Lycoming County Prison facing burglary, trespass and theft charges.
    Troopers said there is no prior connection between the suspect and the victims.

2. Remove Ads

I think this fella did an awesome job and that is exactly the way I would have handled it but without a doubt there will be some that will say he should had simply called 911 and waited for the police without ever entereing the house. Meanwhile the burglar would have gotten what he wanted and escaped to rob another house the next day.
    pittypat21, Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    I'm glad that that we still have the right to investigate our own property and address the problems that we find.

I also don't think any less of anyone who deems the situation as unsafe and prefers to call 911 and wait. We all have to know our limits.

Personally, I've been on both sides where based on my assessment of the situation, sometimes I've investigated on my own, and sometimes I've stood back and called 911.

There are no guarantees in life. We deserve the freedom to determine our own risks and rewards.
    Badey, Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.

Glad the BG was apprehended
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm glad that that we still have the right to investigate our own property and address the problems that we find.

I also don't think any less of anyone who deems the situation as unsafe and prefers to call 911 and wait. We all have to know our limits.

Personally, I've been on both sides where based on my assessment of the situation, sometimes I've investigated on my own, and sometimes I've stood back and called 911.

There are no guarantees in life. We deserve the freedom to determine our own risks and rewards.
    Great point. He was armed, he investigated, and found someone still in the home. At this point in time like you said, we still have this right.....I like to see individuals taking care of themselves, and not relying on others to do it for them...
    msgt/ret, Snub44, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

That happened close to my area. Nearest state police barracks is about 30 miles away. Burglar maybe would have been gone by the time the SP would have got there.
    Last edited by Pawatch; May 25th, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Links