Knife related incident, and I am at a loss of words how to even comment about this...

Knife related incident, and I am at a loss of words how to even comment about this...

This is a discussion on Knife related incident, and I am at a loss of words how to even comment about this... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 7th grader saves classmate from bully with knife, is punished for playing hero A thirteen year-old Canadian, Briar MacLean, was reprimanded by school officials for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Knife related incident, and I am at a loss of words how to even comment about this...

7th grader saves classmate from bully with knife, is punished for playing hero

A thirteen year-old Canadian, Briar MacLean, was reprimanded by school officials for potentially saving the life of one of his fellow classmates. After defending the victim from an armed student, the vice principal chastised MacLean, saying that he should have gotten a teacher involved instead of acting quickly.

7th grader saves classmate from bully with knife, is punished for 'playing hero' | The Daily Caller

Like I said. I just am at a loss for words.
    darbo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't understand why these type of people tend to gravitate toward the educational system. What an idjut.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Seems to be the mentality today, if attacked just curl up in a fetal position and softly whimper “Please, please don’t hurt me”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    OK. The above comments that I deleted were not that bad but, let us try to stay on the main gist of the story and not comment on the Mom.

Because those sorts of comments (firstly they are off-topic) but, in addition to that..they tend to multiply and get worse as the thread progresses.

It's an Internet fact that it always happens. So please try and keep the posted comments related to the school, the event, the knife, the kid, and not the Mom.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It's all part of the plan. They lump self-defense and defense of others in with the unprovoked violence that demands it, and punish both equally. The message is "you are not allowed to defend yourself - the only people who get to use violence, EVER, are the authorities." Sheep, run to the shepherd. The owner of the flock would MUCH rather lose a few sheep to the wolves, than have the sheep grow sharp teeth of their own.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    It's all part of the plan. They lump self-defense and defense of others in with the unprovoked violence that demands it, and punish both equally. The message is "you are not allowed to defend yourself - the only people who get to use violence, EVER, are the authorities." Sheep, run to the shepherd. The owner of the flock would MUCH rather lose a few sheep to the wolves, than have the sheep grow sharp teeth of their own.
    That was a doggone good post there maxwell. I could not have said it better.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That was a doggone good post there maxwell. I could not have said it better.
    Thanks much! I wish I were wrong, but the pattern is just too clear.

So if some one falls down in the road and a truck is going to run them down you should run and get a traffic cop, makes sense to me
    QKShooter and StevePVB like this.

I am happy to see his mother is sticking up for him and defending her son's actions. The school needs to be sued HEAVILY for teaching cowardice and snitching.
    QKShooter and Mr B like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

This is the mentality that leads to those situations where an entire group of people witness a rape or murder but no one intervenes. I would love to be a fly on the wall if someday this administrator or his family were being attacked and people walked on by in search of an authority. Bet he'd be singing a different tune if it had been his own child under attack.
    QKShooter and Glock2201 like this.

VIP Member
    I will take one heroic kid on my six over a whole school district full of cowardly administrators and school board members any day.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    The vice principal's reaction is the natural outgrowth of statism. Not surprising, but certainly dispairing.
    QKShooter, maxwell97 and manolito like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This was brought up on another forum I frequent and I wish I could say I was surprised about how many people agreed with the kid being punished for breaking the rules.

I say, thumbs up to the kid for actually doing something instead of pulling out his phone to record a potential murder like a lot of kids (and adults) seem to do.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The kid's definitely got a good heart for standing up to the bully; however, we're talking 7th graders and they don't tend to analyze all choices or think about stuff ahead of time
    1) the bully was not trying to kill as many as possible so most likely he was bluffing - although it was a very stupid bluff
    2) it's a very rare 13 yo that's remotely equipped/prepared to disarm even another kid
    3) a 13 yo engaging another kid with a knife could easily either get himself stabbed on accident when nothing else would have happened or, if the bully was serious wrt the first kid, get both students stabbed with no adults aware of what was going on thus delaying an appropriate response and medical attention. Bottom line there's at least one additional kid bleeding instead of one or none.
    4) the article said he "went on about his day" after the incident. not reporting an incident like that is inexcusable - for that some sort of reprimand is warranted.

As to the actions he took, I think they should've explained that out of all possible scenarios, the ones with the most positive outcomes for all involved would've involved getting adults involved ASAP as this wasn't a case of a nutjob trying to kill as many as possible. It's kinda like call 911 before you run into a burning house to get the cavalry on the way while you're doing what you're doing otherwise you and everyone may die while the cavalry is eating lunch. While it worked out well and he's a brave kid; he made poor choices all things considered. It's said around here all the time, "I'm not a cop"; this is so much more true when it comes to 13 yr olds.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I am well acquainted with several college professors that have the same mindset coupled with being very anti gun, pro big government.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links