Opening Doors To Strangers Results In This

This is a discussion on Opening Doors To Strangers Results In This within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not many details, but they answered the door to someone and that person pushed their way in, fired a shot (an armed criminal, imagine that) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Opening Doors To Strangers Results In This

Thumbs down Opening Doors To Strangers Results In This

Not many details, but they answered the door to someone and that person pushed their way in, fired a shot (an armed criminal, imagine that) and made off with the lady's purse.

It isn't clear if the victims knew the suspect, most likely not in this case. This is the prime reason why we do not open the door to anyone we do not know, no matter how sad or desperate their story might be. It is generally a ruse to break down your situational awareness to gain access to your home and rob or maybe even kill you.

Deputies Searching for Violent Home Invasion Suspect
    Snub44 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

...Mama always said...and some folks never listened to Mama...
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Knowing your own experiences in the past year, I'm not sure I'd want to come down the chimney in a red suit on Christmas Eve.

It's a shame that the simple process of opening your front door could leave you open to assault but that's the facts I'm afraid.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

...I ain't been on his list in many years...I think my wife rats me out...if it weren't for my local pawnshop, I'd NEVER get a present...
    Glock2201, NONAME762 and JoJoGunn like this.

I have a security storm door, both in front and back. I can open the inner door and talk to whoever through the storm door and they aren't going to be able to force their way in. Besides, I am generally armed, even at home, and definitely do not open the door unless I'm armed!
    JoJoGunn and ccw9mm like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    These people are lucky that all they lost is a purse.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    These people are lucky that all they lost is a purse.
    Perhaps...or until you figure in her ID, SS card, CC's, Debit Card and the million other items some women carry in their purses.

Yeah...they were real lucky.

Not to mention the hole in the wall that needs repair.

Pretty much lately I don't answer the door unless I recognize the knock. If I don't recognize knock and get up to check I am armed.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Deputies say a man came to the door of a trailer and started talking with the couple who lived there. That's when he barged in and demanded money.
    Hard to be having a reinforced "storm" door on a trailer, presuming it's a low-end mobile model. But, still, there has got to be a better way than opening up a door to strangers without any recourse to said stranger wanting "more." Recipe for disaster, no matter how you slice it.

Fortunately nobody inside was injured. This time. Though, with the violent felon on the loose and likely getting more brazen, likely someone is going to meet a bad end at some point. Might already have met that end, if he's got any track record of this sort of thing. Doesn't sound like a complete noob at felonious behaviors.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Perhaps...or until you figure in her ID, SS card, CC's, Debit Card and the million other items some women carry in their purses.

Yeah...they were real lucky.

Not to mention the hole in the wall that needs repair.

Pretty much lately I don't answer the door unless I recognize the knock. If I don't recognize knock and get up to check I am armed.
    That is still better than losing your life.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You never open your door to a stranger. Why would you breech your own security perimeter by blowing a big hole in it by opening the d--- door, c'mon. Common sense 101. There's more to staying safe than just carrying the gun around.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    You never open your door to a stranger. Why would you breech your own security perimeter by blowing a big hole in it by opening the d--- door, c'mon. Common sense 101. There's more to staying safe than just carrying the gun around.

As I'm fond of saying: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.

Altogether too many people either (a) don't prepare or think at all, or (b) breach their security badly and thereby open the door to felons. Something to keep in mind, for all of us. Keep our wits; keep to the plan; basically prepare; don't deliberately unwittingly destroy our own preparations; be circumspect, particularly with strangers in potentially risk situations; always have a backup plan (ie, if opening a door blindly, then it can become deadly necessary to be both armed and capable of effectively mounting a stiff resistance if attack does occur).
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was SO MAD today when the kids opened the door to someone today - I wasn't home. No one ever comes up my driveway to sell stuff, not where we live. Low and behold today a "steak delivery man" came up. Apparently boy #3 looked out the front window when the dogs started going nuts, thought it was a friend's dad & opened the door before he came onto the porch, then realized he didn't know him. My oldest (who was babysitting) stepped out on the porch, the guy asked "is your dad home?" when he said no, he said the guy immed said ok, no problem - I'm a steak deliveryman, trying to expand my business, got in his pickup truck (which had another man in it) and left. My oldest at least had the sense to let the Rottweiler out of his crate after that (they didn't want the dog chewing the younger kids toys so had him put up) My son said he thought it weird the guy didn't leave any info, paperwork, brochures, etc. I told him he was probably looking for empty houses :(

I've told them not to open the door. Period. I'll share this story to drill home why I don't want the door opened. On the other hand, the robberies that have happened on my street in the last couple years all happened at empty homes, and neighbors who were home that day had strangers come knocking for some reason or another. So you never know, answer the door so they know you're home? Or don't open for fear of a case like this and have them think the house is empty and come in anyway? When I'm home, I have opened on the rare occasion someone comes knocking, but I always have my hand on my gun when I do and a rottie by my side. I've had someone try to break in when they thought the house was empty, they took off when realizing I was here, so I'd rather have them know I'm here. The kids don't have access to the guns, so they've been told keep the door closed. I will reiterate if they want to play with toys do it in their room, the dog chewing plastic toys isn't a good enough excuse to pen him up - a 90lb rottie is a helpful (not foolproof I know) deterrent to stay out whether someone answers or not...
    ccw9mm likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    You just can't do it anymore,during day or night these days,as most knows.If i don't know them,not opening my door,period.

This is precisely why I just bought a Springfield XD-2 9mm today. A lady came to my door with a flat tire the other day, could hardly walk. She was 60 going on 90 years old. The tire was on the rims, so she obviously wasn't faking it, nor was she totally sober. There was just something insincere about the whole situation. Of course she wanted a ride. Right then and there I decided to get a gun and a CCW. (have some long guns but not a pistol).

[QUOTE=b2187101;2795241]This is precisely why I just bought a Springfield XD-2 9mm today. A lady came to my door with a flat tire the other day, could hardly walk. She was 60 going on 90 years old. The tire was on the rims, so she obviously wasn't faking it, nor was she totally sober. There was just something insincere about the whole situation. Of course she wanted a ride. Right then and there I decided to get a gun and a CCW. (have some long guns but not a pistol).[/QUOTE

Check your 6. PS/ You don't need CCW inside your home. I'd have offered her a nice seat on my steps while I called the cops. Don't need a drunk driver out there either - assuming she didn't have an accomplice. Either way I call the cops.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links