Bad: Pennsylvania Shopper Chases Robber, Loses Life

This is a discussion on Bad: Pennsylvania Shopper Chases Robber, Loses Life within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pennsylvania shopper killed while chasing bank robber | Fox News Two guys were shopping and a bank branch that was in the store was robbed. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MasterGadgets

Thread: Bad: Pennsylvania Shopper Chases Robber, Loses Life

Bad: Pennsylvania Shopper Chases Robber, Loses Life

Pennsylvania shopper killed while chasing bank robber | Fox News

Two guys were shopping and a bank branch that was in the store was robbed. The guys chased after the robber and one of them jumped into his car. The robber fired off 6 shots. It's sad that the man lost his life and it's even worse because he was going to dinner with his daughter for father's day that night.

2. Remove Ads

I'm sorry for the family of the man that died, but don't fight someone else battle if your not equipped to do it.
    rigel42 and nedrgr21 like this.

very sad. also a very stark reminder that SELF protection is always priority one, more so while carrying. the money was insured. terrible that he died in trying to do what was "right".

We'll never know what he was thinking, but I imagine it was probably outrage at the crime, which I believe we would all feel if we were in that situation. Unfortunately, it seems that overcame his better judgment, and now his family doesn't have him any more. Hopefully, at least, this may be something we can learn from.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "The guy pulled the gun on Vinnie right outside the store, and Vinnie didn't stop. He just kept going and I followed right behind him," Cameron said. The robber started driving away while Kelley jumped into the car and grabbed for a knife he kept on his belt.

"When he reached for his belt, the guy reached up behind his head over the seat and shot off six rounds out of his gun," Cameron said.
    Followed a robber (extremely likely, an armed robber), follows him into his getaway car (apparently), brings a knife to what's extremely likely to be a gunfight, then gets gunned down in that car.

Bad choices, all the way around, IMO. He lost his life. His family is devastated and has a hole in their lives for the remainder of their lives. And the robber will likely either get away or out soon (once arrested/convicted). Sad, how ugly our choices can turn out to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't mean to sound like a Monday morning QB, but this is a sobering reminder to continually think the whole situation through before continuing to act, although split-second decision-making will be in order. It's good to rehearse scenarios like this ahead of time in your head to already have various parameters for continuing to pursue a threat or even draw one's weapon. In this situation, as I see it, the BG was no longer a threat to the immediate situation (the bank inside the store) and a call to 911 was appropriate. While I applaud this guy's heroics, unfortunately the best scenario that he lost his life over was recovering a bag of cash. I am not planning on risking losing my life for anything other than another one's life. Yeah, it stinks that the BG get's away with a lot of cash but that is not my responsibility to overcome, especially when the outcome could be me losing my life, my wife losing her husband, and my boys losing their dad. If this took place with a BG still inside the bank holding others at gunpoint and I'm in the same room now the parameters have changed.

As crazy as I am sometimes, I do have the good sense if I am unarmed or lightly armed (knife in this case) to never ever chase after a robber. This is the major reason why it seldom is such a good idea.

When I worked in retail, they told us to apprehend shoplifters. Me? You're kidding?

I don't know if the shoplifter is armed or not and once they are gone with the merchandise, too bad, I am unarmed. Just like this story, the poor chap should have just let the robber go. He lost his life needlessly.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
    Don't mean to sound like a Monday morning QB, but this is a sobering reminder to continually think the whole situation through before continuing to act, although split-second decision-making will be in order. It's good to rehearse scenarios like this ahead of time in your head to already have various parameters for continuing to pursue a threat or even draw one's weapon. In this situation, as I see it, the BG was no longer a threat to the immediate situation (the bank inside the store) and a call to 911 was appropriate. While I applaud this guy's heroics, unfortunately the best scenario that he lost his life over was recovering a bag of cash. I am not planning on risking losing my life for anything other than another one's life. Yeah, it stinks that the BG get's away with a lot of cash but that is not my responsibility to overcome, especially when the outcome could be me losing my life, my wife losing her husband, and my boys losing their dad.
    Still not sure how I would act in such a case except were I directly one of those held at gunpoint. If the BG walked in front of me and I could shoot him in the back of the head perhaps but a lethal weapon confrontation in a store full of people is another thing. Let the BG get away and let the police nab him. A tag number on the car would have been all that was required of the guy; instead he died trying to protect someone else's cash. Bet the bank didn't even send condolences to his family.

I wish I could send condolences to the family.

BTW before anyone gets the wrong idea; I have no issue whatsoever putting down someone holding a weapon on others. A shot to the back of the head would be warranted in such a case IMO. I'm too old to shoot it out a high noon and wait till he draws first.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

It is sad that he lost his life, but he did so trying to help. Right or wrong, he made his choice. The same choice we all have to make whether we carry a gun or not...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

You just have to be honest in your assessment of this one: If the guy was mentally challenged, then it's just a terrible shame that this event happened to him... If he was in the normal range of learning ability and IQ, then his death was caused by just plain outright bad decision making. Sad though it may be, the world is a dangerous place... even more so if you don't think things through....

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    This is really sad and such a shame. A little bit of cash is just not worth losing your life over whether it is yours or belongs to someone else. If they had just grabbed a young child then that chance is worth taking but not for cash. The BG was no longer a threat to anybody at that moment then should have let him go.

A terrible way to find out but.... It's not like it is on TV

Links