Good?: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her

Good?: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her

This is a discussion on Good?: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her Read more: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn?t have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Good?: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her

New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn’t have the nerve to shoot her

Read more: New York woman reportedly tells gunman he doesn?t have the nerve to shoot her | Fox News

Interesting point:

'Graham said she maintained eye contact throughout the confrontation and "for a second there, I saw fear — for just a spilt second. I went against all the rules, everything he knew about life."'

Not commenting on this wisdom of her decision, but a good takeaway is: if a bg similarly looks into your eyes and sees you're not going to shoot, that gun might not help you.
    PEF likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Graham, the wife of Russian-born artist Ernst Neizvestny, told the News: "He should be very grateful to me that he didn’t shoot, because once he does that it changes his life 100 percent."
    So does the life of the one who's shot.

Seems a grand roll of the dice, there, that tactic. Not that smart, I'd say, to taunt and goad potential murderers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Smart in the sense that she wasn't shot. Not smart in the sense that it was dumb.
    Arborigine likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

She lives in NY. What other choices does she have. Might as well brazen it out.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Risky strategy, but might have been the only alternative available to her under the circumstances.

Regardless she showed some balls!!

Oh yeah, she was a woman. Don't have the appropriate, or inappropriate phrase for that.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    When your local government leaves you defenseless except for your mouth--use it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Just proves that every event has unique dynamic elements that cannot be rehearsed. I wish I could afford all the training that I would like to participate in just to experience many different variables of self defense situations.

I would have preferred if she said "Skin it! Go ahead, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!"
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

IMO...........that is just one dumb move.....verbally challenging a gunman...I don't care who or where you are.

Though I respect her courage, I guess I don't see what was gained. It seems unlikely he was going to shoot in any event.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Not commenting on this wisdom of her decision, but a good takeaway is: if a bg similarly looks into your eyes and sees you're not going to shoot, that gun might not help you.
    Maybe this is a good reason not to draw unless you are going to fire, in addition to removing the implied doubt about your fear for your life if you don't fire?
    Also speaks to the proper mindset before carrying.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.....those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    -Clint Eastwood "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

VIP Member
    Yeah New york , could have thrown a extra large coffee on him .....Nah extra small coffee
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Though I respect her courage, I guess I don't see what was gained. It seems unlikely he was going to shoot in any event.
    Well, she certainly didn't have much to lose if he wasn't going to shoot anyway!

Still, kind of Bad A despite being a bit stupid. I wish I could've seen it though. *with russian accent* "You don't have the Balls to shoot me". Its like straight out of a movie. Awesome.

Glad she is okay, and not dead on the street.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

A scene from "Weekend at Bernie's" comes to mind. In the opening of the movie, the two young guys are walking thru central park on a very hot summer day.

Mugger sees them coming, steps out in front of them, gun drawn and says something like "Give me your money." One young guy reacts as you would expect; eyes wide, afraid of the gunman.

The other young guy, without missing a beat, says "Oh please! Its too hot", brushes the gunmans pistol aside, and continues on his way. Gunman looks on at them walking, confused, then shrugs, and goes back to waiting for the next victims to come along.

Cracks me up every time I see that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNekkid View Post
    Maybe this is a good reason not to draw unless you are going to fire, in addition to removing the implied doubt about your fear for your life if you don't fire?
    Also speaks to the proper mindset before carrying.
    Right, mindset is key. The way I see it, the only reason to draw is that the alternative is likely to be severe physical harm, and the only reason not to shoot immediately is if the threat is incapable of harming you before you can shoot following the draw. So, a pretty narrow subset of defensive scenarios, but in those one had darned sure be READY to shoot, not counting on the drawn gun to end the encounter. The most dangerous BG's can tell if you're unsure, and may try to take advantage of that, meaning the less ready you are to shoot, the more likely you'll need to.

— Captain Bellamy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links