Houston woman shoots man at gasoline station, maybe SD, maybe not.

This is a discussion on Houston woman shoots man at gasoline station, maybe SD, maybe not. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman fatally shoots man with knife at Houston gas station - Houston Chronicle There are several versions of the story going around depending on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Houston woman shoots man at gasoline station, maybe SD, maybe not.

VIP Member

Woman fatally shoots man with knife at Houston gas station - Houston Chronicle

There are several versions of the story going around depending on the news source. This story
    in the Houston Chronicle seems to tell a story of an SD shooting.

Per the story (not sure at all that they have it right) a man made advances to the woman while she
    was filling her car, she took a rifle from the trunk, he pulled a knife, and per some video (elsewhere) it looks like he tried to punch her. She shot him.

At this point the complete story is a bit murky except that the two seem to have not known each other
    prior. It could be a good SD shooting, or it could be that the man was trying to defend himself.

Video of the incident can be found here-- RAW VIDEO: Rifle-toting woman fatally shoots man at Houston gas station | kens5.com San Antonio

Note the difference in the story between the two sources.

Hard to tell who was "standing their ground," or who actually started the confrontation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Some investigatin' needs to happen. All I can say right now is the video is quite bizarre. Will follow this one.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Married in Missouri, divorced in Texas.

Hopyard likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

The article claims she fled the scene. If that is correct and I was on a jury, that alone would be hard for me to look past.

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    The article claims she fled the scene. If that is correct and I was on a jury, that alone would be hard for me to look past.
    Yet, that fact alone wouldn't change the circumstances of the altercation or events leading up to it, no matter how prejudicial it might appear. "Fleeing" doesn't make the defender the criminal in the situation, though it certainly doesn't help one's claim of SD to do so.

That said, though, there are legitimate reasons to leave the immediate area, such as if feeling threatened by others (ie, the downed assailant's "homeys" who are gunnin' for ya).

With so little in the initial reporting, it's impossible to know much. Could have been anything, this situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Were there any Robitusin, Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Tea involved?
    NONAME762, fredg53 and Sister like this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Having watched the video (atleast, as much of it was they will show before OMGNSFW!) and going off witness statements, he quite obviously swung a knife at her before she did any physical act toward him.

Everything else is just odd...
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Having watched the video (atleast, as much of it was they will show before OMGNSFW!) and going off witness statements, he quite obviously swung a knife at her before she did any physical act toward him.

Everything else is just odd...
    Interesting comment. My eye and mind have her removing the rifle from the trunk and turning toward him before he advanced
    on her. What we don't know is what caused her to go for the rifle. The one news article says he made sexual advances
    toward her, but there is nothing on the video (we have no audio) to support that notion which I see.

Definitely an odd incident.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Definitely an odd incident.
    It IS Houston.......

Houston we have a problem....................
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Watched it several times. He is clearly the aggressor. He approaches her, will not leave, taking measured steps at her as she gets the rifle out. Remains there when he sees the rifle for a good bit of time, takes a swipe at her with something and she shoots him.

Other than that I cant say, no idea what his motive is, why he swung on her or stayed after she pulled the rifle out but she didnt point it at him to start with. But at first blush he approached her and took a swipe at her with something first.

Tend to lean toward SD and leaving if she called it in after I dont hold against her. She may have wanted out of an area where she had already been attacked. Still not a ton to go on with what I could see in the video.
    ccw9mm and Secret Spuk like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    The only thing that really stood out was the man hitting the woman so hard she stepped back several paces. Looked like he had an umbrella, didn't see a knife, but the video is very grainy. All that being said, if you point a rifle at me, and all I have is an umbrella, excuse me I'm leaving because you just made an excellent point.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    She could have just driven away. No need to allow a confrontation to escalate to that point.
    Hopyard likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Typical self defense situation IMO. Unscripted, unexpected, awkward... and imperfect. I think it's a reasonable reaction to put as much distance between ones self, and percieved danger. Not everyone is a member of this forum. She probably never had a discussion about S/D scenarios. Probably the last thing on her mind.

OldnFat... It seems this guy was on her and may not have given her the chance to leave. If the hose was in her tank fill line she may have had to turn her back on the aggressor, and she opted not to... Besides, why cant she stand her ground like everyone else.

Curt58... I dont understand your post. Unless of course your trying to find humor in this, and other unfortunate incidents. I for one dont find anything about the death of Treyvon Martin funny Nor do I find any humor in George Zimmermans life changed forever, or the inner pain he probably feels from having taken a human life. Along with the right to own deadly weapons, and the right to carry one around concieled is the responsibility for, and the respect of human life. And to a slightly lesser degree the intelect to act in a responsible manner and keep our own bacon out of the fire be it physical or legal.

I think this is more the typical self defense situation that some of the imagined 300 round shoot-out with Los Zetas. Leaving the scene is probably a bad idea... But can be explained.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    She could have just driven away. No need to allow a confrontation to escalate to that point.
    From that video's POV, the man was ~5ft from her as she was at the rear of her car. I suppose she could have turned her back to the apparent assailant and attempted to get into the car. Though, that video shows the man in an apparently athletic crouch, sidling toward here as she's at the trunk, and even after she pulls out the rifle the man doesn't back off an inch and then swings at her head.

Unknown what was said by either party, though there seem to have been other folks around.

But it seems to me a person has every right to be where he/she has every right to be, pumping gas without being assaulted, threatened. Unknown what the duty-to-retreat requirements are, there; but then, it's TX.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Had the apparent assailant not kept at contact distances, not taken a swing at the woman, then those steps wouldn't have been taken to be the escalators they were seemingly intended to be.
    Hopyard and Sig 210 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links