Good: Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff

This is a discussion on Good: Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff | Fox News As Cheyne Dougan rounded the corner at Clarksville High School, he saw three ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Good: Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff

Good: Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff

Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff | Fox News

As Cheyne Dougan rounded the corner at Clarksville High School, he saw three students on the floor moaning and crying. In a split-second, two more ran out of a nearby classroom.
    "He's got a gun," one of them shouted as Dougan approached with his pistol drawn. Inside, he found one student holding another at gunpoint. Dougan aimed and fired three rounds at the gunman.
    Preparing for such scenarios has become common for police after a school shooting in Connecticut last December left 20 children and six teachers dead. But Dougan is no policeman. He's the assistant principal of this school in Arkansas, and when classes resume in August, he will walk the halls with a 9 mm handgun.
    Dougan is among more than 20 teachers, administrators and other school employees in this town who will carry concealed weapons throughout the school day, making use of a little-known Arkansas law that allows licensed, armed security guards on campus. After undergoing 53 hours of training, Dougan and other teachers at the school will be considered guards.
    "The plan we've been given in the past is `Well, lock your doors, turn off your lights and hope for the best,"' Superintendent David Hopkins said. But as deadly incidents continued to happen in schools, he explained, the district decided, "That's not a plan."
    Finally common sense prevails...
    ArmyCop and Old Sarge like this.

2. Remove Ads

Our school district, does NOT post their buildings so it's legal for any resident to carry if they have a CC license in the schools. They cannot post any "grounds" legally at all, only buildings anyway.
    Plus each school has had armed SO's for a long time. And, although it would be legal for a teacher to carry, they can prohibit it via their personnel policies. However, what they are now doing .. is allowing designated teachers that have a cc license and training to carry. The HS Students in general, have let them know that they think any teacher with a CC license should be allowed to carry... their argument , "who's the closest to where we are , if something would occur... our teacher".

Anyway, the district next to ours, is very anti-gun , posts all buildings, prohibit any teachers from carrying and have no armed SO's in the schools..... its the "hope and a prayer" approach.

Which school would you want your kids attending ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

While I despise the fact that our children need protection from nut jobs that wish them harm, I am so proud to see the schools here taking REAL measures to protect our children; this will be much more effective than taping a no gun sign on the front doors.
    John Luttrell

Arkansas school district arming more than 20 teachers, staff | Fox News
    As it should be. Of course, in an entire district, that's still only 20 people armed. Better than nothing, but hardly enough to protect entire schools effectively across a district.

Intelligent response to reality. Glad to see more communities waking up to smell the coffee. Two thumbs up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skylen View Post
    It would make better sense not to advertise who carries.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Our State Attorney General just gave an opinion today, saying school districts can't use a state law to employ teachers and staff as licensed, armed security guards on campus. His actions will only serve to push the issue to the State Supreme Court and further distance the Democrats from the voters. It's time the Democrats in Arkansas accept the fact that a no gun sign taped on the front doors of a school is not a deterrent to a nut job that wishes harm to our children!

AG: Arkansas schools can't arm teachers, staff | Local News - KHBS Home
    Snub44 and phreddy like this.
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Our State Attorney General just gave an opinion today, saying school districts can't use a state law to employ teachers and staff as licensed, armed security guards on campus.
    Opinions: everyone's got one. Yet, the AG doesn't justify the opinion with any fact, statute that disallows such hirings. A citizen can hire armed guards; a company can hire armed guards; can't imagine why a school district would find it unlawful.

I suspect you're correct, that if pressed then this AG is going to see that opinion hammered in the courts as an unjustified attempt to emasculate schools for the protection of the children. After all, such a step of arming staff is for the children, and about as common sense as it gets.
    phreddy likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

After a discussion on the matter this morning with Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell, it is clear that the Arkansas State Attorney Generals Opinion will only stand until the 15th of this month, at which time the state laws will change, allowing Arkansas Schools and local communities to train school faculty as auxiliary police officers. Here Mr. Bell's press release on the issue.

Auxiliary Officers are an Option for Arkansas School Security

August 3, 2013 at 11:55am
    Last December the world looked on in horror as reports of more than two dozen murders at Sandy Hook Elementary School become yet another stark reminder that children in schools around the nation are vulnerable to evil people with murderous intent. The Clarksville School District and several other local school districts around the state have shown leadership as they developed a plan to train and arm volunteer staff as private security officers. I supported this innovative idea and was disappointed to learn that our Attorney General considers it to be illegal under current law.

The day of the Sandy Hook tragedy I once again examined school security options as I sought to improve the safety of Arkansas children, teachers and staff. As a former auxiliary deputy sheriff, one of the first possibilities I considered was the concept of placing trained volunteer law enforcement officers in classrooms and other school facilities. I immediately encountered a barrier to this idea as state law severely restricted the number of auxiliary officers a department could commission. The numbers permitted under existing law were simply not adequate to provide officers in sufficient force. This was especially true in sparsely populated rural counties with multiple school facilities. It became clear that a legislative solution was needed.

I believe that such as solution was achieved through the combined effects of two bills passed by the 89th General Assembly. Act 705 removes the cap on the number of auxiliary officers a local law enforcement agency may commission as school resource officers. Act 415 makes trained auxiliary officers exempt from the concealed carry permit requirements and permits them to carry a firearm in otherwise prohibited places. School employees willing to volunteer for the required 110 hours of training can now become auxiliary law enforcement officers and the number needed for adequate school security can be determined by local authorities. I want to make it crystal clear that Arkansas state law requires auxiliary officers to have the same firearms training as full time officers. Auxiliary officers must also pass a psychological screening before being commissioned. If school districts adopt the option I’m presenting today, they’ll be positioning more trained, screened and prepared law enforcement officers in proximity to those we seek to protect.

I believe that state government should not mandate local school district security policies. It is the proper role of state government to ensure that local communities have an assortment of options available to them while allowing the choices and implementation to be local. I also believe that local citizens and officials are best able to determine which of the available options best protects their children, teachers and staff. Today, I am proposing that local school districts and law enforcement agencies consider working together to determine a school security plan that includes commissioning volunteer school employees as auxiliary officers. Thanks to the new options made available by the legislature it is now possible for a local community to provide the highest level of protection for its schools without a substantial increase in cost or hiring of new personnel. Commissioning trained volunteer staff will be the best option for some school districts. It may not be the best option for others. We must protect Arkansas children and communities from becoming the victims of those who intend harm and I’m proud that our communities will now have yet another option to consider. I’m including a link to the current laws pertaining to auxiliary officers. They are modified by Acts 415 and 705 which take effect later this month and are not engrossed at the link. I’ll be happy to discuss details with those who are interested.
    HotGuns and phreddy like this.
    John Luttrell

Senior Moderator
    That's actually not a bad idea to consider making them Auxiliary's. They could be used at any function, armed and even have legal powers of arrest, holding offenders until LEO's arrive.

I think that the idea actually has more positives than negatives. The hardest part of the idea is the fact that anyone that attends an academy has to be sponsored by a LEA, and getting the local agencies to buy into the program to do it may be more difficult than it seems.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea to consider making them Auxiliary's. They could be used at any function, armed and even have legal powers of arrest, holding offenders until LEO's arrive.
    But any citizen has this right of holding a person to await arrival of police, actually. Citizens' Arrest statutes have been on the books for a long time ... even in Arkansas, yes? After all, it's essentially what a person's doing when thwarting an attack, holding a violent assailant at bay, then calling police to come scoop him up.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I think that the idea actually has more positives than negatives. The hardest part of the idea is the fact that anyone that attends an academy has to be sponsored by a LEA, and getting the local agencies to buy into the program to do it may be more difficult than it seems.
    According to state law, auxiliary officers do not have to attend the police academy for their training, any certified law enforcement agency can train the officers; here locally, the law enforcement agencies are behind this and will back what ever the school district decides to do with it. I am a City Alderman and this became an issue for our community when the school recently approached the City Council to fund more School Resource Officers; unfortunately we had to turn them down due to budget restraints. This approach will allow us to train existing, qualified school employees as auxiliary officers, with out the additional costs of hiring new employees.
    Old Sarge likes this.
    John Luttrell

Some states, have "security guard " laws .. and specific requirements.

I think I would beat your AG in court..... their job function is being a teacher, they are teaching, their background is teaching, and their contract with the School District is to be a teacher.... NOT a security guard. So, they are "armed" teachers, so what ?? That does NOT make them a security guard.... if they have a CC license and are legal to carry in school, hey.... they have the right to do so and the School District has approved it's OK for them to do so ... if they meet specific training requirements, that's OK to .... because it's NOT security guard training.

The AG's going to lose this argument if it's challenged in court.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This is great news! Glad to hear it. Hopefully this sort of thing starts spreading...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Moderator
    But any citizen has this right of holding a person to await arrival of police, actually. Citizens' Arrest statutes have been on the books for a long time ... even in Arkansas, yes? After all, it's essentially what a person's doing when thwarting an attack, holding a violent assailant at bay, then calling police to come scoop him up.
    That's true for a felony. Not for a misdemeanor. They could be of great use at football or basketball games when kids get stupid. They could hold them long enough to get an on duty officer to give a ticket. Right now, they cant do that.

As for our AG he's soft.

The Pillsbury Dough Boy aint got nothing on him. He gets manicures and has someone fix his hair for him. Paints his fingernails with clear coat. He's a momma's boy from way deep down inside. I don't think he had a daddy.
    Old Sarge likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links