Stupidy on the rise........

This is a discussion on Stupidy on the rise........ within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As Ron said "you can't fix stupid".... I seem to be reading more and more instances of this happening...... Why anyone would put themselves in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Stupidy on the rise........

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Stupidy on the rise........

As Ron said "you can't fix stupid"....

I seem to be reading more and more instances of this happening......
    Why anyone would put themselves in a "no way out" position at this time of the morning is something I can't comprehend.

BURLINGTON, N.C. — Police are searching for two men who robbed someone at gunpoint early Friday at an ATM in Burlington.

The robbery was reported shortly before 3:45 a.m. at a drive-up ATM in the 2100 block of North Church Street.

Police say the victim was using the ATM from inside their vehicle when two men who were wearing cloth masks and armed with handguns approached the victim and demanded money. The victim gave the suspects an undisclosed amount of cash before the suspects ran away.

Ample suspect descriptions were not available.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Unless he was working a weird shift and was going to or coming home from work what did he need money at that time of night?

VIP Member
    He was making it rain at the club . All one dollar bills.

On a more serious note, this is a free country it was his money he has access to it at anytime . Never understood the whole blame the victim thing , we all have jewlery on that may be expensive , wedding rings and such so if a bad guy is scoping things out at a ATM machine on just that night well you might be a victim.
    BG's are bad guys for one dollar or no money .
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Simple precautions and circumspection can go a long way.

• Don't run out of gas, forcing a need to stop at the next station.

• Don't run out of cash, forcing a need to stop at the next ATM.

• If you do run out of cash or gas, "fill up" at a reasonable spot and time if possible. Whether possible or not, be on the watch for evil approaching, as it's all to simple for it to occur if only a felon chooses to attempt it.

• If doing the ATM thing, do so at a spot where you can (ideally) clearly see inbound new arrivals and where you are protected by a big wall around the ATM side of the car. Keep the car running and in gear, and remain prepared to floor it and eject the scene if danger rears its head.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You have to be aware 24/7, but what may seem stupid to one,may not be to someone else.
    jim282 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    As Ron said "you can't fix stupid"....

I seem to be reading more and more instances of this happening......
    Why anyone would put themselves in a "no way out" position at this time of the morning is something I can't comprehend.

BURLINGTON, N.C. — Police are searching for two men who robbed someone at gunpoint early Friday at an ATM in Burlington.

The robbery was reported shortly before 3:45 a.m. at a drive-up ATM in the 2100 block of North Church Street.

Police say the victim was using the ATM from inside their vehicle when two men who were wearing cloth masks and armed with handguns approached the victim and demanded money. The victim gave the suspects an undisclosed amount of cash before the suspects ran away.

Ample suspect descriptions were not available.
    Why is it your place to judge the victim? He was performing a perfectly legal task in a normal fashion. Maybe his wife is in the hospital with cancer and finally fell asleep and he stepped out for a break and some coffe...... Maybe he works the late shift and wanted to get some groceries..... maybe he just wanted 20 bucks from the ATM...... The time of day is irrelevant, and does not make the victim at fault. Your "blame the victim" ideology is shifting the focus from the actual problem.... the BG's robbing people. While 2 AM may not be the ideal time to use an ATM, we as free people should not have to pick and choose when we conduct our lives for fear of criminal elements....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

There seems to always be two lines at ATM's in the early morning hours...a line of customers, and a line of BG's.

Yep, there is certainly the freedom to go anywhere and anytime one chooses to bank...smart individuals bank in public places and reasonable hours, and stupid people try to bank at 3 AM in dark lonely places. I also have the freedom to judge those who appear to lack common sense.OMOYMV
    Mardet65 and bmcgilvray like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't use outdoor ATM's period. There's too much risk regardless of the time of day. This robbery and murder took place at 8:23 in the morning.

Former corrections officer dies in ATM heist; man charged with murder » Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Simple precautions and circumspection can go a long way.

• Don't run out of gas, forcing a need to stop at the next station.

• Don't run out of cash, forcing a need to stop at the next ATM.

• If you do run out of cash or gas, "fill up" at a reasonable spot and time if possible. Whether possible or not, be on the watch for evil approaching, as it's all to simple for it to occur if only a felon chooses to attempt it.

• If doing the ATM thing, do so at a spot where you can (ideally) clearly see inbound new arrivals and where you are protected by a big wall around the ATM side of the car. Keep the car running and in gear, and remain prepared to floor it and eject the scene if danger rears its head.
    Good points, I normally only use the ATM during the day and even then I pull up so close no one can squeeze between the ATM and my truck. My banks ATMs are generally situated so you have at least a 100 yard field of view around them and well lit at night.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Why is it your place to judge the victim? He was performing a perfectly legal task in a normal fashion. Maybe his wife is in the hospital with cancer and finally fell asleep and he stepped out for a break and some coffe...... Maybe he works the late shift and wanted to get some groceries..... maybe he just wanted 20 bucks from the ATM...... The time of day is irrelevant, and does not make the victim at fault. Your "blame the victim" ideology is shifting the focus from the actual problem.... the BG's robbing people. While 2 AM may not be the ideal time to use an ATM, we as free people should not have to pick and choose when we conduct our lives for fear of criminal elements....
    It is a question of what is safely reasonable in MHO...going to a drive thru ATM at that time of the morning alone is not safely reasonable weather it should be or not has nothing to do it. Being free white and over 21 and having the right has nothing to do with it. There are ATM's in damn near every gas station, convenience store etc..etc... that I know of where it is well lit and other people are present. And by the way...I'm not blaming the victim, it is obvious that the BG's were waiting in hiding for somebody to show up...I'm am saying that going there at that time of the morning alone is kinda stupid as he had many other safer options if he needed money.
    Taurahe likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Why is it your place to judge the victim?
    It's our place to evaluate the circumstances, of course, if for no other reason than to learn from the scenario.
    WHEC724, joker1, Brad426 and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's our place to evaluate the circumstances, of course, if for no other reason than to learn from the scenario.
    Precisely. There is a world of difference in doing what you're legally allowed to do, and doing what is prudent. It is perfectly legal to do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places and end up being an innocent (but stupid) victim.
    joker1, kukla and Brad426 like this.

We are ultimately responsible for our own welfare. I can't fault the victim because he/she needed money at 3am in the morning. That is their business. The person who was robbed learned a very valuable lesson. I hope they can appreciate how lucky they are. I wish them good luck in the future.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Guns don't make decisions, people do.
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Hey folks >>>> News Flash >>>>> Crime happens all hours of the day and the night . In nice towns and in the most horrible cities ( Baltimore ) The Bad Guys are all around us . We do need to be aware of things but their are always reason why a good person may be out that early or out that late . Kids are snatched up from bus stops do we blame the kids or the parents or both . Just because you put a time of night on a persons activity that makes that person stupid , If that person does the same ATM thing during the day then he is then Smart ??
    OD* and Secret Spuk like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Go to Google maps for 2100 block of North Church Street Burlington nc. ....zoom in about 4 clicks...you can see this is a stand alone Wells Fargo ATM kisok in the middle of a shopping center parking lot. (lower part of screen to the right). This is an area in Burlington where nothing is open along this strip at that time of morning.

Put the little man on the street and look around.....Would you stop there at 3 in the AM....Don't think so.....If you say yes I would stop there then maybe you to should talk to Ron.........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links