Stand your ground: 17 year old not charged in self defense shooting of 40 y.o. man

This is a discussion on Stand your ground: 17 year old not charged in self defense shooting of 40 y.o. man within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Title says it all... However: "The teen will still face charges that include carrying a concealed firearm and possession of a firearm by a minor." ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Stand your ground: 17 year old not charged in self defense shooting of 40 y.o. man

Stand your ground: 17 year old not charged in self defense shooting of 40 y.o. man

Title says it all...

However: "The teen will still face charges that include carrying a concealed firearm and possession of a firearm by a minor." According to the story.

story here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Stand your ground should be null and void since he was breaking the law in the first place. I cant wait to see how the anti agenda spins this.
    pittypat21, kmjjack and Stevew like this.

"Stand your ground should be null and void since he was breaking the law in the first place. I cant wait to see how the anti agenda spins this"

I must have read this wrong based on the above statement. The 40 yr old guy, found with drugs in his possesion, came after the teen with a wooden club. I don't care how the teen protected himself, but (from the article) it sounded like he felt his life was in danger. Whether a gun, knife, club, or bare fists are used, protecting yourself is our right as individuals. He will be charged for the gun crime, but I don't think he should be charged for protecting himself. (I am assuming there are no unforseen circumstances. I am just basing my opinion on what is in the article.)
    Last edited by txron; August 9th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Lead Moderator
    Someone coming at you with stick sounds like justification for deadly force. Too bad the kids was not legal to carry . Verbal altercation should have been avoided by the gun toter if possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I believe he should be able to defend himself, however he was commiting a felony at the time of protecting himself so this could open a whole new can of worms.

The kid was legal to carry. And should not be charged. simply because gubment burrocrats have stomped the 2A into the dirt doesnt make charging this kid right. It just makes it legal by our masters definitions which are themselves illegal.

A 17 yr old defends himself against a 40 yr old man with a club and because he used a method he by his very natural rights he is entitled to use is charged and nobody sees anything wrong with that is a good indication of the sorry state of affairs we have allowed ourselves to herded into.
    airslot, ctr, Bacon and 1 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    The kid was legal to carry. And should not be charged.
    The "kid" was not legal to carry (under 18 and with no license) thus the charges for having a concealed firearm, However, as some seem to have confused, he was not the one with the drugs, the dead guy was. Still, he had the right to defend himself and was not charged for the shooting. Separate issues, separate charges.

However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
    (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

I suppose the prosecutor felt it was reasonable that a big stick may cause imminent death or great bodily harm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

IMO A classic, if not perfect SYG case. Kid walking along minding his own business. 40yr old driver gets into argument with him. Driver elects to stop and arm himself, and walk back to the kid. Kid pulls illegal gun and punches his ticket. The kid should not be carrying the gun... but nothing in the Florida self defense laws mention a limitation of age. My opinion is the gun became perfectly legal when the kid fired it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The "kid" was not legal to carry (under 18 and with no license) thus the charges for having a concealed firearm, However, as some seem to have confused, he was not the one with the drugs, the dead guy was. Still, he had the right to defend himself and was not charged for the shooting. Separate issues, separate charges.
    I understand that according to the powers that be he wasnt legal and he will be charged according to the decrees they have made with no constitutional or moral authority to make them.

The bold part is my point. And a lack of common sense that prevails in this nation. But of course that will play little to no part in what happens to this kid.
    Bacon likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's a moot argument, still the law is the law, and in Florida concealed possession under 18 is illegal. Anything else is an opinion until that law is changed.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I hope the kid gets off. Could happen with a good barrister.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Sorry folks but breaking the law is breaking the law. He had no right to be carrying a firearm and he didn't have the legal right to carry a concealed one. He is lucky that the DA hasn't decided to make an example of him and charge him with felony murder.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I hope the kid gets off. Could happen with a good barrister.
    I highly doubt that will happen. He just needs to be happy he's alive and not charged with murder.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Hopefully, if charged it will be as a juvenile.

I'm curious where the "big stick" came from. Did he have it in his car? Did he pick it up from the side of the road?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links