Questionable: home defense worst nightmare...

This is a discussion on Questionable: home defense worst nightmare... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BANG! Your dogs are barking, you awaken, enter the hallway, a silhouette.... "STOP, or I'll shoot!" Bang, bang, thump..... It's the neighbor's kid "dead drunk." ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Questionable: home defense worst nightmare...

BANG! Your dogs are barking, you awaken, enter the hallway, a silhouette.... "STOP, or I'll shoot!"

Bang, bang, thump.....

It's the neighbor's kid "dead drunk." Well, not dead, this time....

Story: http://www.abc-7.com/story/23101293/...r-forced-entry

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

"Mike said his house was dark and groggy before he saw a silhouette coming for him."

Aside from the unlikelihood of a house being groggy, here's the key. Have a gosh darned flashlight, and a bright one, on the gun or in your off hand. It can be a deterrent, it lets you know if a person is armed, and most importantly it lets you know if the "intruder" is a loved one.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

"At that point in time you are in fear for your life. You don't know if this guy is armed; you don't know what he is armed with; you don't know what his intentions are; you can't take those chances in the middle of the night," he said.
    Exactly. The drunken neighbor is lucky to be alive.

The article says the charges are "still unclear" - For those who know more than I do, is it possible for the homeowner to decline to press charges if he wanted to? Depending on how close these neighbors are to each other, I can kind of see a "sorry for being wasted and breaking in - sorry for shooting you for doing so" type of deal going down.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Lol, maxwell97, I too found it odd for a house to feel groggy.
    Badey likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. – Groucho Marx
    msgt/ret, OD*, Brad426 and 3 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Well, it WAS a "dark and groggy night..." After all.

maxwell97 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Doesn't sound like a responsible shoot, but if someone breaks into your house at night, they do so at their own risk. If he was drunk, then that's on him. Do stupid things and expect stupid results.

*Edit*
    I initially thought it wasn't responsible but I read it again and have changed my mind.

The home owner was with his fiance in the house. There was no mention of children or other relatives living in the house so the H.O. presumed that the two of them were the only innocents in the house. If he has accounted for his fiance, then anyone else standing in his kitchen at 2 AM is a badguy to him. He saw someone, told them to stop, and fired when the bg kept approaching. It was a good shoot IMO. A flashlight may or may not have helped, but IMO, it's not his responsibility to ID someone who has broken in to his home. If he made a verbal command to the intruder and the intruder didn't identify himself, then that's his fault, just like coming home drunk and breaking into the wrong house.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Lord knows I've been drunk never went to the wrong house. Of course I've seen people so drunk we had to intubate them I've never been that drunk either.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Deputies said they believe Miller was intoxicated when he allegedly kicked down Mike's door.
    Is the door down or not? Alleged? lol
    He kicked the door in, tough cookies, I'd have probably done the same. Clear case of self defense.
    Last edited by Brady; August 10th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    WHEC724 and Secret Spuk like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If you are in my house without permission and your not making it known that you are there by calling my name or saying hello then your an intruder. With or without a flashlight you will be lucky to be alive if you are an intruder.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Not questionable and not a kid. DST - WSP. If he and his fiance are the only adults that are supposed to be in the house, any other adult in the house (especially after the door being kicked in) is an identified target; however, flashlights are always good to have.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Ok let me get this straight? A drunk kid in my kitchen at 2AM is ok to shoot. But a thieving kid in my gated driveway at 2AM making a sudden move for his pocket is not ok to shoot?
    msgt/ret likes this.

I dont much care if you are calling my name or singing the Battle Hymnn of the Republic. If you know me well enough to know my name you know better than to be in my house without me letting you in, much less kicking my door in If you still in there I dont trust you anymore than i trust a stranger no matter if I have known you for 30 years. Your toast light or no light.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Ok let me get this straight? A drunk kid in my kitchen at 2AM is ok to shoot. But a thieving kid in my gated driveway at 2AM making a sudden move for his pocket is not ok to shoot?
    Sounds ABOUT right.

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    So we are told by burrocrats anyway.
    Snub44 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links