Kearns, UT. Homeowner loses gun to invader

This is a discussion on Kearns, UT. Homeowner loses gun to invader within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner in the basement, heard noises upstairs, grabbed his gun. Got into altercation with burglar, shot at burglar, missed. Burglar got gun and ran off.... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Kearns, UT. Homeowner loses gun to invader

Kearns, UT. Homeowner loses gun to invader

Homeowner in the basement, heard noises upstairs, grabbed his gun.

Got into altercation with burglar, shot at burglar, missed. Burglar got gun and ran off....

Story: http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...un-4732152.php

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Richardson says the suspect tried to flee, but the homeowner said no and the two started wrestling......
    No, no, no, no, no, no.........

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Update!

"Authorities say they're now looking for the suspect, described as [an armed] Hispanic man in his early 20s with a slender build and a mustache."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Lucky he wasn't killed.

That's the big danger I see in attempting to use a weapon for SD, having it taken and used against you.

That doesn't mean don't try to use a gun. It means be aware of the danger and think some ahead of time about how
    to limit that chance--- plan to fail, and to overcome the failure.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Update!

"Authorities say they're now looking for the suspect, described as [an armed] Hispanic man in his early 20s with a slender build and a mustache."
    That only describes about 10 million of those people. Let the profiling begin!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Update!

At least it's not NY. If it were, the bulletin would read - "Authorities now looking for an alleged person with an alleged weapon."
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Complete fail. No training, no education, no preparation and no skills.

He's lucky to be alive.
    StormRhydr likes this.

In general, I dont believe in absolutes for these kinds of things. I have been taught that one does not draw a gun unless they intend to use it. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT ONE HAS TO THEN USE IT. Ie if the threat withdraws, complies with firm verbal commands, whatever, then you dont have to shoot, just because you drew your weapon. I think there is some confusion on this with some folks.

Saying all that; If the threat advances on me, in my own home, hes going to get shot. Its just that simple. If someone is mean enough to come into my home, and attack me, while Im armed, that is plenty enough to put me in reasonable fear for my life, and families safety.
    WHEC724 likes this.

That's why I don't say "stop or i'll shoot" or say anything for that matter if you are in my house. It's simply BANG. Element of surprise on them can be key. No need to confront them. Just BANG.

No need to find out why they are there. No need to give them a chance to run. If you are in my house by the result of you breaking in etc... you have given up any right to life you thought you had.
    Easy8, sealteam20001, KoB and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I also have the BANG rule in my house!!
    B31 likes this.

"Richardson says the suspect tried to flee, but the homeowner said no and the two started wrestling."

The only way the police could know that is if the homeowner told them so during the police investigation. Suppose he had shot and killed the intruder and relayed that same info to the police. Depending on the circumstances and your local laws, there's a posibility one could be found guilty of murder rather than a legal SD shooting. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on that possibility.

Distinguished Member
    Update!

I saw that guy in WalMart just a couple of hours ago. Do you think he's had enough time to get to Wisconsin?
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TelumPisces View Post
    That's why I don't say "stop or i'll shoot" or say anything for that matter if you are in my house. It's simply BANG. Element of surprise on them can be key. No need to confront them. Just BANG.

No need to find out why they are there. No need to give them a chance to run. If you are in my house by the result of you breaking in etc... you have given up any right to life you thought you had.
    Not that I disagree, but that's a sentiment I wouldn't share publicly, myself.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Not that I disagree, but that's a sentiment I wouldn't share publicly, myself.
    Actually in FL, it's law that the minute someone breaks into your home, they are commiting a crime that says that they are there to do you harm and deadly force can be used. Don't need to worry here in my state. You come in my home, you're getting shot.
    KoB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TelumPisces View Post
    Actually in FL, it's law that the minute someone breaks into your home, they are committing a crime that says that they are there to do you harm and deadly force can be used. Don't need to worry here in my state. You come in my home, you're getting shot.
    I hope that is only if I come in your home uninvited!!

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links