A home invader's last break-in (NM)

This is a discussion on A home invader's last break-in (NM) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They interviewed the local DA down in Albuquerque who indicated that the homeowner appeared justified: Sunday, November 26, 2006 Albuquerque, New Mexico From Albuquerque’s KOBtv.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A home invader's last break-in (NM)

A home invader's last break-in (NM)

They interviewed the local DA down in Albuquerque who indicated that the homeowner appeared justified:

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Albuquerque, New Mexico

From Albuquerque’s KOBtv.com of November 26, 2006

Suspected home invader shot, killed

A late-night shooting in the Four Hills area of Albuquerque left one person dead and a homeowner shaken.

Police say the homeowner called 911 about 11:30 Saturday night.

Albuquerque Police Department spokesperson Trish Hoffman says the homeowner woke up to sounds inside his house, discovered a burglar and shot the intruder.

The intruder died at the scene. Detectives haven’t released whether the intruder was armed.

Detectives are investigating the scene as a homicide, but say it’s possible the homeowner won’t be charged because it may be a justifiable homicide.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

2. Remove Ads

Home Invader...

Goes to meet his maker...

Congrats to the home owner...this should happen more often!

Stay alert...stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good job on the home owners part, one more BG off the streets, hope they don't even file any charges on him.

One little thing about the article though: "Detectives are investigating the scene as a homicide"

Well yeah, there was a dead body that didn't die of natural causes, that would mean its a homicide, and should be investigated as such. Wouldnt make mush sense to investigate it as a suspicious package or anything else.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Lots of times people equate homicide to murder. Murder is a definite homicide; a homicide is not necessarily murder.

What difference does it make if the blessed thug was armed? If the s.o.b. was where he wasn't supposed to be, he should be shot. What are we supposed to do, just let them leave and perpetuate their crime spree. I think it's time for this political correctness/feel good crap to go away and we all start living in a real world!
    Merry Christmas Y'all!!
    Andy

Administrator
    I'd be P.O'd that the BG bled on my floor, then went and died in my house, thats got to hurt the resale.

Problems, problems...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd be P.O'd that the BG bled on my floor, then went and died in my house, thats got to hurt the resale.
    Carpet stains that are hard to remove.
    Bullet holes in wall with pieces of flesh attached...now requires filling and painting...
    Body pulled to front curb and trash pickup is not for three more days...

What a pain in the butt the whole mess is...

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 2nd, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Detectives are investigating the scene as a homicide, but say it’s possible the homeowner won’t be charged because it may be a justifiable homicide.
    Lots of times people equate homicide to murder.
    Bingo. Slant sells.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    What difference does it make if the blessed thug was armed? If the s.o.b. was where he wasn't supposed to be, he should be shot. What are we supposed to do, just let them leave and perpetuate their crime spree. I think it's time for this political correctness/feel good crap to go away and we all start living in a real world!
    Merry Christmas Y'all!!
    Andy
    Unfortunately some states hold to a must try to retreat standard. Of course even if the bad guy had a crowbar it seams like there was another Self-Defense case where the the shooter was in fear for his life in AZ and he got sent up for murder a while back. It seams a shame that a BG has more rights than a white hat.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Bingo. Slant sells.
    What slant? The police have to investigate the incident as a homicide because it IS a homicide. They are simply trying to determine whether or not it was justified or a murder. The only slant I see here is the statement

but say it’s possible the homeowner won’t be charged because it may be a justifiable homicide.
    Here, there is already a presumption that the homicide wasn't for the wrong reason. However, it is probably an accurate statement if the news got the story information reported correctly.

A homicide is simply the act of killing/having killed another human being. The term as used was accurate.

Don't move.

Of course, hurting resale is small time compared to being dead yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    What slant? The police have to investigate the incident as a homicide because it IS a homicide. They are simply trying to determine whether or not it was justified or a murder. The only slant I see here is the statement
    The average reader doesn't equate "homicide" with anything other than "murder" when skimming a new story. The paper's choice of wording leaves the typical unthinking reader with the idea that this guy's done something wrong and is about to be "caught." Probably simply due to people's equating "homicide detectives" with "murder investigators" ... which is true when unjustified killings occur. ~Slant for effect.

Preferable wording, for a clear, unbiased statement of fact: "Detectives suggested that the homeowner may have been justified in defending himself and may not be charged. The investigation of the death is continuing."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Tell them that the home has lots of character and if they want even more character you will leave the chalk lines.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Unfortunately some states hold to a must try to retreat standard. Of course even if the bad guy had a crowbar it seams like there was another Self-Defense case where the the shooter was in fear for his life in AZ and he got sent up for murder a while back. It seams a shame that a BG has more rights than a white hat.

You have to be kidding ? There are states that make a HOMEOWNER retreat from their own HOME??

That is BS!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    You have to be kidding ? There are states that make a HOMEOWNER retreat from their own HOME??

That is BS!
    I know. I was told that here in ND some guy breaks into my place and burgalrizing me, I have to try to withdraw. I'm hoping our state legislature passes a stand your ground law like FL
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Of course, you have to be able to SAFELY retreat... without putting yourself or others in additional danger.

Since you can't outrun bullets, and I would at least SUSPECT that a buglar was armed with afirearm, I can't see how I could possibly retreat without giving the BG a shot at me. I also imagine it would be difficult to withdraw without leaving my wife in danger.. thus I can't imagine a situation where I could safely retreat.

Thankfully I live in Colorado where we don't have to worry about such nonsense. Shoot the BG, hire a crime-scene cleaning crew. Probably covered by homeowner's insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I know. I was told that here in ND some guy breaks into my place and burgalrizing me, I have to try to withdraw. I'm hoping our state legislature passes a stand your ground law like FL
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links