Tragedy that could have been avoided.

This is a discussion on Tragedy that could have been avoided. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This certainly could have been avoided a number of ways, but is a tragedy non the less. The owner of the vehicle should never have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 2 Post By BadgerJ

Thread: Tragedy that could have been avoided.

Thumbs down Tragedy that could have been avoided.

This certainly could have been avoided a number of ways, but is a tragedy non the less.

The owner of the vehicle should never have left the gun under the seat of the truck while unattended, and certainly not when letting school kids take the truck to be detailed.

Had the kids known some basic gun safety, this probably would have been avoided as well.

NEW BOSTON, Texas—The accidental shooting death of a New Boston High School student athlete on Wednesday occurred after a gun was discovered in a former school board president’s truck, an official said.

Police say Semaj Williams, a senior at New Boston High School and member of the varsity football team, was accidentally shot about 9:30 p.m. by Aaron Conkleton, a NBHS senior and the school’s football quarterback.

The pair, along with senior and fellow football player Jaylyn Jones, was at the Fawcett car wash in downtown New Boston vacuuming a truck when they discovered a gun under the seat, New Boston Police Chief Tony King said.

The truck belongs to Chad Duffer, a local businessman and former New Boston Independent School District school board president, who had hired Jones and Conkleton to perform odd jobs, the chief said.

Conkleton and Jones had washed Duffer’s truck at Duffer’s home earlier in the evening and took it to the car wash to vacuum it, he said.

Williams, who was driving his car, pulled alongside the pair at the car wash, and the students found the gun in the truck and believed it was either unloaded or did not have a round in the chamber.

Conkleton apparently pointed the gun at Williams and pulled the trigger, firing off a round that struck Williams in the chest, King said.

A few more rounds were intentionally fired to draw attention because there was no cellphone available, and Conkleton and Jones placed Williams in the truck to take him to a hospital, King said.

They drove a few feet before spotting a New Boston police car, and the group pulled back into the car wash and flagged down the officer.

The officer took Williams out of the truck to render aid, but he was dead, King said.

Conkleton was detained but released after questioning, and no arrests have been made.

King said the shooting appears to be accidental, with no evidence of malice or intent.

The body has been sent to Dallas for autopsy.

On Thursday, NBISD Superintendent Gary VanDeaver said the district is in shock.

“It’s a tragedy. We’re doing everything we can to reach out to the students and families affected. We are offering counseling, even though school is not in session,” he said.

VanDeaver said he anticipates Conkleton and Jones will be in school when the new school year begins Monday.

A varsity football scrimmage planned for Thursday night in New Boston was canceled.

Police were on scene until the early morning hours Thursday, and on Wednesday night had cordoned off a large area surrounding the car wash and T&P Trailhead Park.

The car wash is south of the park.

A crowd of more than 100 people, including NBISD school administrators and students, gathered Wednesday night to watch as police worked the scene.

Family members later retrieved Williams’ car.

Officers with Bowie County Sheriff’s Office and Texas Department of Public Safety assisted with the investigation.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This is tragic, horribly tragic.

And not at all unbelievable. Kids that have never been taught gun safety, the basics of safety, are just kids that are prone to be kids -- to horse around and joke around with adolescent machismo and reckless abandon -- after all, they are truly just kids.

Projects like Appleseed need to be promoted and pushed, and efforts to bring gun safety awareness should be pushed forward as well. That will be an extremely difficult thing to do, because even if I managed to get my school district to hear my logic and allow me to create a program here, the folks in the next county over could blow that off and say it's not something they want to do.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Hm. Car-washer student finds gun during cleaning of a car he'd been hired to clean; grabs gun, aims at another, and pulls the trigger, ostensibly believing it wasn't loaded.

That'll do it every time.

One would think that with, say, a hatchet found in a trunk (during cleaning a car), that swinging it at someone's neck would be a bit daft. One would think that with, say, a 6ft length of rope found in a trunk, that wrapping it around someone's neck and pulling hard would be a bit daft. Amazing, that anyone with ONE OUNCE of rationality in his brain could consider that pointing/triggering a gun at someone wouldn't be at least as daft. And, in Texas, where very likely the fool has previously been introduced to firearms and the risks and responsibilities therein.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    My kids are still to young to understand the finality of a firearm. So they are taught very simple things. Do not handle firearms EVER, even if an adult tries to hand it to you. If a kid is handling a firearm, get out of the area and notify an adult and then me.
    chandler4228 likes this.

This is why I was raised to treat every gun as if it was loaded and always keep my finger off the trigger and drop the mag and check the chamber first thing. Good parenting in this department can go a long way. This is a tragedy that could have been avoided if these kids were trained in proper gun handling. Also the owner of the vehicle should have never left a loaded gun in the presence of these kids he could have taken ot insode his home or even left it in a lock box in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    My kids are still to young to understand the finality of a firearm. So they are taught very simple things. Do not handle firearms EVER, even if an adult tries to hand it to you. If a kid is handling a firearm, get out of the area and notify an adult and then me.
    I taught my kids the finality of a firearm in a direct manner. After explaining the rules of safe handling and spending many hours on the range, I took them squirrel hunting. After seeing the end result of a bullet on a squirrel that was alive moments earlier, my boys got the idea. When they were younger, I took the same approach as you. Good stuff.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Indeed tragic, and stupid. I'd place blame at 5% gun owner, 95% guy playing with gun.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Indeed tragic, and stupid. I'd place blame at 5% gun owner, 95% guy playing with gun.
    Perhaps, yes.

Silly to have left it unlocked, yes. But no more grievous an error than leaving it in a home unlocked but hidden, one that gets found by the cleaning person. If anything, one would think the average "cleaning" person hired into one's home would have more sense than this chucklehead showed. Gee, let me whack you on the head with this shovel and see if it "works."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

How is this not negligent homicide?
    dukalmighty and Dulla like this.

Links