Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM)

This is a discussion on Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Zundfolge So this begs an interesting question. If you used your CCW to save some stranger's life, would you want to meet ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM)

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Not Me

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    So this begs an interesting question.

If you used your CCW to save some stranger's life, would you want to meet with them? Be interviewed on TV? Be "noticed" by the public?
    I didn't move out to the country, and build a house in the middle of the woods for nothing.

Some might,

I'll pass
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

NO press, NO meeting.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I'd think I'd meet in private, if I really thought it would help the victim.

NO press, NO way, however.....

I hope, that I'll never have to make that choice...
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

i got to go with no press no meeting

I applaud Mr. Moore's actions.

I'd meet her in private. No press coverage, no publicity.
    Last edited by Only Glock; December 2nd, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Carry is prohibited in anyplace that sells alcohol.
    I was under the impression that one could not carry in any place that earns the majority of its income from alcohol related sales. Wal-Mart does not earn the majority of its sales from alcohol.

In Utah, there is nothing in state statute that prohibits permit holders from being in a bar with a concealed firearm. However, it is illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The level of intoxication that is considered illegal is held to the same standard as when driving a car. I guess it varies in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by nizmobil View Post
    I was under the impression that one could not carry in any place that earns the majority of its income from alcohol related sales. Wal-Mart does not earn the majority of its sales from alcohol.
    It varies from state to state. In New Mexico, the law prohibits carry in any establishment that sells alcohol, including alcohol sold for off-site consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    but then again I live under the Miami-Herald area of operations were just this morning an editorial was published saying that anybody trying to run over a LEO with his vehicle does not constitute a threat to life or grave bodily harm and cops shouldn't shoot.
    God, how I HATE the media and all it's BS!

Screw those dirtbag thugs, the media, and the author of that editorial! One more career criminal thug to add to the number of successfully rehabilitated.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    [Miami-Herald] ... just this morning an editorial was published saying that anybody trying to run over a LEO with his vehicle does not constitute a threat to life or grave bodily harm and cops shouldn't shoot.
    Hm. Perhaps the producers of the popular television show Myth Busters should call up the Miami-Herald editor and offer to do a show to prove/disprove the myth that a two-ton SUV cannot crush a person. Of course, a few volunteers would be required.

Though, to be fair, the M-H doesn't take it that far. The article questions the Florida law that presumes any moving vehicle to be of lethal threat regardless of circumstances, as opposed to a law like New York's, which requires the vehicle to be a lethal danger to others before being seen as such (ie, mere movement isn't sufficient).
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 3rd, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would probably privately meet with the victim if (s)he requested it. I'd obviously want to know where they stood and whether there would be any legal or civil issues first. Wouldn't want to meet a person who was gonna sue me and thought I'd made a mistake saving their life!

In this case, it sounded like she wasn't the type to press charges or sue.

The media at large?? NEVER!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would meet with the lady , with my lawyer , and in a private setting . This is more for my benifit than hers tho , I would like to know what sort of person i killed someone to protect . The press can deal with police reports , and whateaver else my lawyer says .. I have no intrest in any type interview, but will listen to the mouthpiece if he deems it necessairy for me to go public due to the politics of the local prossicuting office , and the incident ( not to raise racisim but i am white , and that fact can make a difference in the press unless countered )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i got to go with no press no meeting

Is it not possible to make a strong, positive statement on behalf of CCW by meeting with her?

I'm on the fence. I mean, we're not necessarily trained and practiced at making public statements or acting as public relations agents... There's the possibility of us putting our foot in our mouth.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    On the subject of whether a cop should fire at an advancing vehicle:

I once had a letter to the editor published in the local paper on this very topic.

What I expressed was a bit of annoyance that it seemed that the cops (in this area) had recently taken to doing this quite a bit, and I challenged the efficacy of the practice.

What is the goal, when firing at a vehicle? To hit the driver? The car is a danger if the driver is trying to run someone (the cop or others) down. If the cop does hit the driver and incapacitate or kill him, the car does not cease to be a danger. It is still 4,000 lbs. of momentum, and now it is not being steered, so who knows what or who it will hit if the cop succeeds in hitting the driver.

In my letter, I said that it's not as though enough shots are going to make the car explode and dematerialize like what happens in video games when you get to a "boss" level. In the cases to which I was referring in my letter, cops had fired a lot of rounds, some of which could have endangered others in nearby buildings, etc., and for what goal? It seems as though many times cops are using the act of someone driving to run them down as an excuse to trigger their right to execute the driver. Even a deliberate act like someone shooting at another person does not give the victim the right to execute the perpetrator. In the cases I referenced, the car was passing by the cop. What justifies continuing to shoot at the driver? A desire to see the car go rolling away not under a driver's control?

I doubt I would want to meet with her. I would want to put it all behind me. I would however like to meet with the District Attourney that took a year to rule it a justifiable use of self defense on her behalf. That should not have taken so long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links