Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM)

This is a discussion on Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was on the news last night here in northern New Mexico. The incident occurred last year, however the story has reappeared as a follow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM)

Victim wants to meet CCW holder who saved her life - (NM)

This was on the news last night here in northern New Mexico. The incident occurred last year, however the story has reappeared as a follow up on tv and in print. The tv news story last night was 100% positive regarding the gentleman who used his gun to save the woman's life.

KOB-TV
    Nov. 30

NM - An Albuquerque woman whose ex-husband was stabbing her when he was shot and killed by a stranger says that she would like to meet the man who she feels saved her life. "I just gotta give thanks that I'm alive and I would like to met Mr. Moore very soon because he is my angel and he did the right thing to save my life," said Joyce Cordova.

Cordova was working in the deli at an Albuquerque Wal-Mart in August of 2005 when she was confronted by her ex-husband, 54-year-old Felix Vigil. Vigil was armed with a knife, went behind the counter and began stabbing her.

Due Moore, 72, who didn't know either people, happened to be shopping in the store at the time when he came across the attack.

Moore, who was among the first people in the state to receive a license to carry a concealed weapon, produced a nine-millimeter handgun and shot Vigil three times, killing him.

Moore, who didn't want to be interviewed on camera, declined to meet with the woman who credits him with saving her life until any legal issues surrounding the incident are resolved.

Eyewitness News 4 spoke with the district attorney's office on Wednesday and learned that the incident has just recently been ruled a justifiable shooting.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

2. Remove Ads

Just remember folks. Wal-Mart here in New Mexico raises a big stink about carrying in their stores and has signs posted in all of them. The women is lucky to be alive, and Mr. Moore is to be congratulated. Wal-Mart's actions are deplorable.

Tim

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Moore, who didn't want to be interviewed on camera, declined to meet with the woman who credits him with saving her life until any legal issues surrounding the incident are resolved.

He sounds like a normal, unassuming guy who just wants to live his own life, and be able to defend it.

I think he's absolutely right to keep the hell away from her until he is sure he's not gonna get sued for some stupid reason.

Maybe she just wants to serve him lawsuit papers for depriving her of ex-spousal-companionship!

No, hopefully her heart and mind are in the right place and she really wants to just thank him. Anyway, she should want to thank him. We should all want to thank him!

VIP Member
    Guess the perpetrator saw the sign "no firearms"........

This Is A Crazy World...

I too, would be very careful about what I said and did after an incident like that...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I remember reading about that incident. Glad to see it was ruled justifiable. That coulda been a huge stink for him. Does anyone know if there is still legal action pending about wally-world's sign?

Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Just remember folks. Wal-Mart here in New Mexico raises a big stink about carrying in their stores and has signs posted in all of them. The women is lucky to be alive, and Mr. Moore is to be congratulated. Wal-Mart's actions are deplorable.

Tim
    Thats odd because in the rest of the country Wal-Mart stores DO NOT put up "no guns" signs in states where CCW is legal. In fact its a corporate level policy NOT to put such signs up (I've read that in several stories in covering the new CCW laws in Kansas and Nebraska recently, but I've seen references to this policy for years).

But then again, New Mexico is an odd place

So this begs an interesting question.

If you used your CCW to save some stranger's life, would you want to meet with them? Be interviewed on TV? Be "noticed" by the public?

I'm always uncomfortable accepting even mild flattery, so I can't imagine stepping into the limelight after a defensive shooting like this. I'm also not sure I'd be all that comfortable meeting with the victim (although I would if it was a private affair and not a press conference).
    Last edited by Zundfolge; December 1st, 2006 at 12:13 AM.

As I understand it, Wal-Mart doesn't have any choice, given New Mexico law. Carry is prohibited in anyplace that sells alcohol. As Zundfolge said, Wal-Mart allows carry in their stores everywhere it is legal for them to do so. If you want to carry in Wal-Mart in NM, don't bash Wal-Mart, write your state legislators.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Thats odd because in the rest of the country Wal-Mart stores DO NOT put up "no guns" signs in states where CCW is legal. In fact its a corporate level policy NOT to put such signs up (I've read that in several stories in covering the new CCW laws in Kansas and Nebraska recently, but I've seen references to this policy for years).

But then again, New Mexico is an odd place

If you used your CCW to save some stranger's life, would you want to meet with them? Be interviewed on TV? Be "noticed" by the public?

I'm always uncomfortable accepting even mild flattery, so I can't imagine stepping into the limelight after a defensive shooting like this. I'm also not sure I'd be all that comfortable meeting with the victim (although I would if it was a private affair and not a press conference).
    That's a tricky one. On one hand you don't want people know you carry, but on the other hand it would be a good educational opportunity for people seeing how personal responsibility isn't as trumpetted in society as it used to be.

It meant alot to my family to thank those that responded when dad was killed(because of an alkie), sometimes you do things for the victim's peace of mind.

It would depend on the situation whether or not I would take an interview, but if I was protecting someone and they wanted thank me I would meet with them and say something around the lines of anyone would have done it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Good to see that the lady appears to be grateful.
    As for talking to the press.....ugh.. a toughie. Retsup is right: you have to be careful of what you say. Remember that 90% of the Media-types do not like guns in the hands of regular folks and most of them have the honesty of a used-car salesman turned politician. For some journalist, anything you say will be twisted and used against you....... but then again I live under the Miami-Herald area of operations were just this morning an editorial was published saying that anybody trying to run over a LEO with his vehicle does not constitute a threat to life or grave bodily harm and cops shouldn't shoot. So, I might be a tad biased this morning against journalists.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I wonder if Moore was there for a Nacho run....heh

Wal-Mart's actions are deplorable.
    Tim
    Remove the word "actions" from your sentence and you are spot on!
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Lead Moderator
    I imagine Mr. Moore would rather not relive having to shoot some one however reasonable and justified. either in private or public.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post

Hmm, that would be kind of iffy. I would be like him in that all legal affairs would have to be resolved. I'd have to clear it through my lawyer and insist on it being private, absolutely no press. It'd be none of their darn business anyway. Also could not receive anything more than a thanks and a handshake. It would only be if it was a big issue for the victim. Me, I'd just want to get on with my very private life.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'd meet with the lady.
    I'd have less than zero interest in being pimped before the public and would refuse Oprah interviews as well.
    No I would not wish to be noticed by the public either...In fact I'd might even choose to move elsewhere after all the dust settled.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links