Bad: 8-year old murders grandma

This is a discussion on Bad: 8-year old murders grandma within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://us.cnn.com/2013/08/25/us/loui...html?c=&page=0 The kid won't be charged but this has basically ruined his life. I doubt he'll have a normal life growing up. I vote for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad: 8-year old murders grandma

http://us.cnn.com/2013/08/25/us/loui...html?c=&page=0

The kid won't be charged but this has basically ruined his life. I doubt he'll have a normal life growing up. I vote for the parents be charged leaving guns accessible to minors.

Not something I wanted to read on a Sunday morning. Sad all away around...
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I don't buy into the video game arguments. I do agree that a firearm should not of been accessible to an eight year old though.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Same here. Video game causation is not the issue; something is miswired in kids that kill.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Bad Bad Bad parenting at play here.

#1. Why is an 8 year old playing Grand Theft Auto?!
    #2. Why is there an unsecured firearms lying around for an 8 year old to access?

This is just sad all around. I am not one to blame violent video games as I have played my fair share over the years but we have a society that now uses video games and television as a convenient babysitter. Violence in video games, movies and television are not an issue when a person has been taught the difference between reality and fiction. My guess is that this poor kid hasn't been taught much by his family beyond "go play your video game".

VIP Member
    There are things in life that are age appropriate an 8 year old and adult games are one of many things . Gun owner should have some responsibility in this .
    It is a sad story though
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Very sad!

An 8 year old isn't mentally capable of separating fact from fiction. Research had proven that. Yes video games by themselves aren't responsible for murders but of parents allow a mentally immature minor access to violent games, they will not be able to tell it's just make belief. I think that's the case here. Parents are to blame.
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    An 8 year old isn't mentally capable of separating fact from fiction. Research had proven that.
    Do you have something to back that up? My 4 and 5 year olds do just fine separating fact from fiction. They understand the differences between video games and real life, they understand the difference between tv and real life.

An 8 year old isn't mentally capable of separating fact from fiction. Research had proven that. Yes video games by themselves aren't responsible for murders but of parents allow a mentally immature minor access to violent games, they will not be able to tell it's just make belief. I think that's the case here. Parents are to blame.
    That's what I mean. Basically we are faced with a generation that are being raised by whatever is being put in front of them on the TV because parents are too "busy" to raise their own children! The game in itself is not good or evil; but to put a kid in front of it with no context about reality or morality (I don't know this as fact but I have to make an educated guess since a good and attentive parent would not let an 8 year old play this game) is wildly irresponsible . I'd bet that there is more to it than the video game though. Allowing him to play it in the first place is only one symptom of a very very bad family structure. Add an unsecured firearm? These parents need to be seriously looked at...not given the child to continue to "raise"!
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Do you have something to back that up? My 4 and 5 year olds do just fine separating fact from fiction. They understand the differences between video games and real life, they understand the difference between tv and real life.
    I'd be willing to bet you don't just sit them in front of the TV for 8-10 hours a day with no human interaction or your particular set of morals or standards as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet you don't just sit them in front of the TV for 8-10 hours a day with no human interaction or your particular set of morals or standards as a guide.
    They might get an hour or so a day.
    Darrow75 likes this.

Video games cause violence like spoons made rosie o'donnel fat. The kid has some serious issues. Put him where he cant hurt others, problem solved. Bad parenting, poor choices, and a scfewed up kid usually equal a bad outcome. There is far more to this story than is being told about this kid. Kids dont just pick up a gun and intentionally shoot someone in the back of the head, regardless if a gun is left out or not. I am confident there is a host of signs and prior incidents to indicate this kid was a nut job ..... if he did in fact intentionally kill her.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Yikes. I'm on the hot seat. It was in a parenting book I read so I may have to dredge it back up. Stay tuned.

P.S. 8 years olds still shouldn't be able to play GTA! You wouldn't let your 4 and 5 year olds play that game would you?
    Darrow75 likes this.

Yikes. I'm on the hot seat. It was in a parenting book I read so I may have to dredge it back up. Stay tuned.

P.S. 8 years olds still shouldn't be able to play GTA! You wouldn't let your 4 and 5 year olds play that game would you?
    I wouldn't play GTA, wouldn't let my kids play it. They do play HALO 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links