Hasan - Death Penalty

Hasan - Death Penalty

This is a discussion on Hasan - Death Penalty within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I read on yahoo that he was given the death penalty by military court. Not being military, I do not understand a few aspects... ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Hasan - Death Penalty

Hasan - Death Penalty

So I read on yahoo that he was given the death penalty by military court.

Not being military, I do not understand a few aspects... Help me understand.

Why is this workplace violence rather than terrorism?

He admitted to it & didnt try to defend himself but they would not allow him to plead guilty? What was the purpose other than to waste taxpayer money?

Why is an appeals process necessary?

Has he finally been stripped of rank and had the several hundred thousand dollars he was paid while awaiting trial pulled back from him? Why was he on payroll in the first place while awaiting trial after admitting he did it?

I am so confused by this whole thing.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I believe in cases where death is the penalty, you are not allowed to plead guilty.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this turd to be executed. The appeals process will take decades. No one in the military has been executed since '61.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member
    Couple of points. In capital cases appeal is automatic. And at the rate the military executes guys on death row this creep will die of old age LOOOOOOONG before he gets executed. Forgive the humorous spelling of long but the fact is that they just don't get around to it in this day and age.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Administrator
    I'm allowing this to stay even though it is not a story of self defense; Obama says its workplace violence, and that's sorta related.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    You cannot plead guilty if the death penalty is an option. That's not just military, that's anywhere.

He received pay while awaiting trial because he was, and is, a member of the armed forces of the United States. Until the court martial had sentenced him he was presumed innocent, thus there is no basis for withholding pay and allowances. At this point, even though the "jury" recommended death and the judge accepted the recommendation it still isn't done. A general officer will have to look at the case and determine whether or not the verdict and sentence are just. There's little doubt that will happen, but anytime you try to guess what will happen in judicial proceedings you stand a chance of looking like a fool.

It must be remembered that the last military execution happened in 1961. The probability of this piece of trash ending up in the death chamber is not good.

Finally- it is workplace violence and not terrorism because that's what Obama wants it to be. He's the boss, so his decision is what counts... no matter how ridiculous it is.
    Ghost1958, Poorly and vilecanards like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I could be wrong here but Im pretty sure the reason you cannot plead guilty with the death penalty is that the defense will instantly claim that only a insane person would in effect commit suicide by pleading guilty to a death penalty offense.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    Will he be allowed to be around other inmates?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Moderator
    He is guilty.

If we had a pure system of justice, he would have already been marched out of the courtroom and shot.

Instead, let us see and judge how "justice" is administered here, by the amount of time that it takes to execute him.
    Ghost1958 and Poorly like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He is guilty.

If we had a pure system of justice, he would have already been marched out of the courtroom and shot.

Instead, let us see and judge how "justice" is administered here, by the amount of time that it takes to execute him.
    Lets see Im 55 next month, add the 3 carry the 5 ehhhhhh Ill probably be dead before this guy is.
    Old Sarge and JoJoGunn like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Personally, I was hoping he wouldn't get the death penalty because he wants to be a martyr. I favor him rotting in jail in his wheel chair for the rest of his days
    knight65, Mike1956, 6459 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Personally, I was hoping he wouldn't get the death penalty because he wants to be a martyr. I favor him rotting in jail in his wheel chair for the rest of his days
    Likely everyone will get their wish. He got the death penalty like a lot wanted. And he will likely die of old age before its carried out.

VIP Member
    While I believe he deserves death I would prefer he spend the rest of his days in solitary confinement with no human contact whatsoever. Just let him be forgotten and rot away with nothing but four walls and his own thoughts. And even though the Washington cartel calls this workplace violence it is domestic terrorism the same as the Boston bombing.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    His appeal is automatic. No one, including him, can say otherwise. That's the way the military system works.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I believe he deserves death I would prefer he spend the rest of his days in solitary confinement with no human contact whatsoever. Just let him be forgotten and rot away with nothing but four walls and his own thoughts. And even though the Washington cartel calls this workplace violence it is domestic terrorism the same as the Boston bombing.
    Sadly such punishments aren't allowed. He'll be given a minimum of 5 hours per week out of his cell and at least 3 showers per week. While it doesn't have to be face to face he must have the ability to communicate with other inmates. It is a dang shame that we can't actually punish people that deserve it.
    357and40, msgt/ret and Poorly like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Why is this workplace violence rather than terrorism?
    A: Because Obama. This allows Obama to avoid recognizing those killed or injured as a result of Hasan's actions as being combat-related, and thus the military will issue no purple hearts, etc to those killed (in action.)

He admitted to it & didnt try to defend himself but they would not allow him to plead guilty? What was the purpose other than to waste taxpayer money?
    A: To avoid allowing him to file an appeal based on mental disease or defect later on.

Why is an appeals process necessary?
    A: Appeal is automatic in a death-penalty case to "make sure we got it right" before waxing him.

Has he finally been stripped of rank and had the several hundred thousand dollars he was paid while awaiting trial pulled back from him? Why was he on payroll in the first place while awaiting trial after admitting he did it?
    A: How much do you think military officers make?? My father was a full bird colonel with 30 years in the USAF, and he didn't make much. Also, because "innocent until proven guilty."

I am so confused by this whole thing.[/QUOTE]
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links