when seconds count....

This is a discussion on when seconds count.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police could be almost an hour away. Especially if the dispatcher fails to put through the call. Detroit 911 Dispatcher Waits Over an Hour to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: when seconds count....

when seconds count....

Police could be almost an hour away. Especially if the dispatcher fails to put through the call.

Detroit 911 Dispatcher Waits Over an Hour to Send Police; Woman Shot While Waiting | Fox News Insider

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I did LE 40 years with the County and State in the Detroit area. This is not uncommon. Sometimes these stories fail to get covered-up.

We'd spend 8-16 hour shifts doing nothing but jumping 9-1-1 calls. If we ever got there in time, nothing was going to happen anyway.
    Not many violent criminals are stupid enough to give their Victims time to even 'make-a-phonecall'.
    People are responsible for their own personal safety. LE will arrange the body bags and do some investigating, if time allows. Don't expect more.

It would be so depressing to be a resident of Detroit these days. Well, for that matter, there's a lot of places that fit that description but Detroit is at/near the top of the list.
    ArmyCop likes this.

Wow. Incompetence at it's finest.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My apologies, it appears I posted this in the wrong forum section. I wasn't aware that there was an in the news forum

Wow, a better wait time in Islamabad Pakistan?

I once had the police come to my home and it took them 45 minutes to show. I was already a gun owner and prepared to defend myself but that drove the point home even more that your protection is your responsibility and don't expect the government to rescue the day.

It's like saying, "I don't need a fire extinguisher, I'll just call the fire department."
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Cops made it to the domestic shooting within 8 minutes of being dispatched, according to the video.

As further explained in the video, the 58 minute wait time includes all calls... "My cat is stuck in a tree. My rose bushes were shat upon by the neighbor's dog. My car was stolen. Somebody painted graffiti on my door."

People use 911 inappropriately, just like they use the ER.

The video also claims an 11 minute response time, nationally. The true statistics on that are somewhat nebulous. I have heard 8 minutes is the norm nation-wide from dispatch to arrival on scene. The eleven minute figure may take into account the length of the 911 call prior to dispatch, or it may reflect the abuse of the 911 system being stressed by non emergency calls.

In this case, the 911 operator waited an hour before dispatching LEO. It's not really criminal... but somebody's gonna be rich if she survives... civil liability.... OTOH, Detroit is bankrupt, hard to get money from a stone.
    64zebra likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    This detroit stuff is ridiculous
    The dispatcher on this incident supposedly waited to dispatch the call to the next shift coming on. Which as an officer I find completely stupid. Holding a call/letting it pend on a vandalism report (not in progress) or a forgery report, etc, I can understand holding for a SMALL amount of time....but an hour? no way. Now as for a priority call, you don't care about which shift gets it...dispatch the dang thing...someone was SHOT! Stupidity and incompetence on the dispatcher's part.

just a side note on national response times, etc
    the national averages are for all calls, these numbers need to be broken down by priority levels, such as in progress violent crimes being priority 1 and someone got their house egged would be priority 8 (we use 1-8, other places use 1-5, etc)
    these response times are also affected by what time of day, and which day of the week
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The system often works if I am in peril do I take action that often will save me or what I believe will save me?

The flip side to response times is how long did it take to get through to a 911 operator - took my aunt 45 min to report a murder.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I once called 911 to report an auto fire and was put on hold while they debated which FD should respond (In one county but adjoining county station was closer). After about five minutes they decided to call the closer station but the vehicle was fully engulfed by the time they arrived.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    They're going to seek charges against the dispatcher. That'll help the victim, not!

Good example of how pointless it can be, if facing an impending dire threat, to hope beyond all odds that police will arrive in time to save the day. Many people still don't get it: police are mostly there for clean-up and follow-on investigations, not for stopping urgent violent things from happening on the instant they're happening.

Whatever else is true, this one's hard to get around: you're on your own until the cavalry arrives. Everyone needs to decide how prepared they're going to be while awaiting the cavalry's arrival.
    64zebra likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Things to do while waiting for cops to arrive when a bad guy is in your home hunting you down.

Gun owner - shoot the bast"u"rd
    Anti gunner, call congressman and express your outrage that a gun has invaded your home and would he please pass some legislation making it illegal.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links