So glad to be retired and not having to deal with this stuff on a daily basis anymore

So glad to be retired and not having to deal with this stuff on a daily basis anymore

This is a discussion on So glad to be retired and not having to deal with this stuff on a daily basis anymore within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 4 wounded in shooting at NC anti-violence vigil :: WRAL.com It like having to deal with a hornets nest.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: So glad to be retired and not having to deal with this stuff on a daily basis anymore

4 wounded in shooting at NC anti-violence vigil :: WRAL.com

It like having to deal with a hornets nest..
    Pawatch likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Good for you, you made it out alive. Enjoy your retirement. Now you can enjoy all the stuff you missed when you were working on the weekends and major holidays.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

And this is what they are protesting?

The Charlotte Observer reports (Shooting breaks out at anti-violence vigil | CharlotteObserver.com) Mothers of Murdered Offspring sponsored the Thursday night vigil, calling attention to the death of a man who police say was fatally shot when he allegedly tried to rob a convenience store.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Mothers of Murdered Offspring were having vigil, due to the death of a man police say was shot while robbing a convenience store?

Back when I was in LE, those who robbed others were 'SUPPOSED' to get shot (it wasn't that long ago).

If the Cops are shooting your kids, it will take a LOT of "vigils" to bring 'em back.

Like I said its a turned around bunch of mess now in Charlotte as just abt like any large metro area. Yes ur right, you can't make heads or tails of some of it. The group was actually protesting and shooting started within the protest. It's outta control and off the hook.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Congrats on joining us in the ranks of the happily unemployed

Bad dogs and bad neighborhoods can be fixed with effective leadership.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member
    Good for retirement. Although I live in a retirement community in Florida I still do IT and Security work with my company who has military contracts. Although I do no deal with criminals, there is a lot of anti terrorism training involved and security measures to be followed and each year it gets worse and I told my boss that I want out or may retire earlier than expected.

There are a lot of retired LEO here and I know a few that are friends and family members. At one time I was going to go into law enforcement but after having a friend sit me down and tell me what it is really like in the Big Apple, I changed my mind. That friend ended up on disability due to stress related medical issues after he lost his partner because some stupid person left a drawbridge in the up position during heavy fog while they were pursuing a suspect. Then there was not being able to do anything if the suspect did not obey you and decided to run away or attack you with his fists. Heaven help you if you shot an unarmed man, especially a minority, in NYC. I have great respect for those who stuck it out. There are a few retired LEO who visit my website and give our members the benefit of their experience. Some of it is very interesting.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Welcome to the urban survivors retirement community from me too!

30+ years of working right dab in the middle of crime infested St. Louis, MO. Getting called out of my comfy bed at 1, 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning and having to drive through the cesspool of humanity standing around streets selling dope and looking for their next victims while trying to safely get to the hospital, to repair a broken ice machine or such that could have waited until the next shift during the day?

Yep, retired to the country and after 30+ years of trying not to be the next victim and getting shot and/or carjacked, it's actually now boring around here. Even watching the corn grow for entertainment purposes is getting boring?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Awwww come on guys... it wasnt that bad...lol.

I for one miss it. I enjoyed every day of my career. As someone said a long time ago... being a cop is like having a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.

I'm not a judgmental person so I had no particular hatred, or disgust for most people no matter their circumstance. I always understood that if not for a teacher, a neighbor, a stranger, or my local neighborhood cops... I could have just as easily been in a bad place myself. I always treated people with the same courtesy, and human respect I would want... and I has a great time.
    PEF likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There is a simple way to not have to be worried about being shot by a store clerk, DON'T TRY TO ROB THEM. I have yet to have a store clerk try to gun me down while I was buying that Soda and Twinkies.
    Nmuskier and JDE101 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I retired out of Management not Law Enforcement. Worked mostly DOD special programs and I miss it a lot. I have five years into retirement and the miss is becoming less. I always wondered if it was hard for LEO's to retire. Does it not hurt or bother you not to be in the inner circle of what is going on? Just being nosey no need to answer. Does the Brass pass still work when retired? Under LEOSA how often do you have to requalify for your carry permit. In california I have to recert every two years non leo and in Nevada I recertify every five years. My Son is in a large department working with a special team on intelligence and my Brother is a Detective in a medium size department. I was the only one to ride in the back seat of a cruiser.

Keep safe and enjoy the retirement.

Respectfully,
    Bill

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    There is a Game Warden a couple of houses from me.I've known him for about 6 yrs now.I think he said he has been a GW for about 15 yrs.As a lot know they are involved in a lot of other things as well.

He told me one day,he would rather be in the woods with the animals,than the two legged ones out on the streets.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Well if that ain't darned ironic.
    OD* and Arborigine like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I retired out of Management not Law Enforcement. Worked mostly DOD special programs and I miss it a lot. I have five years into retirement and the miss is becoming less. I always wondered if it was hard for LEO's to retire. Does it not hurt or bother you not to be in the inner circle of what is going on? Just being nosey no need to answer. Does the Brass pass still work when retired? Under LEOSA how often do you have to requalify for your carry permit. In california I have to recert every two years non leo and in Nevada I recertify every five years. My Son is in a large department working with a special team on intelligence and my Brother is a Detective in a medium size department. I was the only one to ride in the back seat of a cruiser.

Keep safe and enjoy the retirement.

Respectfully,
    Bill

Hey Bill...

Great questions, and thanks for the interest. As I've said in another post I do miss it. The missing it becomes less and less important as my life fill's up with other things. I miss the guy's and gals I worked with. I miss the comradre. I miss the action. I miss the humor. I miss making a difference in other peoples lives. I miss the chance to do real justice. I miss running at speed with the lights flashing, and siren blaring. I miss having the inside knowledge of what was really happeing. I miss the challange of detecting the truth and bringing the perpetrator to justice. I miss the challange of facing a defense attorny in open court... I could go on and on...

The face and fashion of police work has changed drastically since I was first sworn in. I dont think I could work as a police officer today without getting in trouble. Hell they dont even call it policing anymore. Now it's LAW ENFORCEMENT. I hate that term. When I was sworn in traffic enforcement was about safety. Now it's about revenue. Arrests were sparingly, and mostly real criminals were arrested. Now people are arrested as a matter of course for any piddling reason. In my day we were concerned with justice. Now it seems todays policemen are concerned more with intimidation. I'd never fit in.

Funny thing is when having conversations about my career, people ask me if I been shot, how many shootouts I been in, if I ever killed anyone, if I ever shot anyone, how people react when they been shot. No one ever asks how many baby's I've delivered, or how many missing children I've found, or how many people I've talked down from a ledge, or how many time's I've had to sit with and console an elderly who's mate pased away in the night and the only person left to share the grief was the local policeman who sat with the body. No one ever asks what it's like to turn the radio car over to a good friend at the end of the tour, laugh and joke a bit then go home only to wake up the next morning to find out that good friend was killed in the line of duty while I slept. But still I miss even these parts most of all...

What I dont miss is police administration and the politics... In policing it's the same thing. Justice is the first casualty in politics. Policemen who are dedicated to justice are marginalized and even looked upon as not so bright. Officers who are totally honest and never act out of any prejudice or for personal reasons are not taken as seriously as some others. Many police administrators are concerned with their own careers. Any officer who puts justice and service above such an administrators career is in for a hard time. I'm not talking about supervisors, or commanders (Though many of them fit the mold) Many of my contemporaries retired as captains, inspectors, even a chief or two... I've never wanted any of those lofty positions. I was happy riding around in a radio car, sneaking around looking for the bad guy, or working a crime scene building a case piece by piece.

My most satisfying experience's was when every Christmas there is always a burglary or theft of some families gifts. I retired 24 for 24 in finding the mutt, and returning the gifts before christmass mornings. Most of the cop's I've worked with was cut from the same mold as me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links