107 year old in altercation with SWAT:loses and dies

This is a discussion on 107 year old in altercation with SWAT:loses and dies within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 107-year-old man killed in police shootout, authorities say - CNN.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 107 year old in altercation with SWAT:loses and dies

107 year old in altercation with SWAT:loses and dies

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Don't shoot at people regardless of your age. I would have thought they could have waited until nap time and taken him though.
    Jeanlouise, manolito and bigpapa like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    SWAT just had to go in, didn't they! Couldn't wait the old guy out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Makes you think maybe he just decided to go out smokin' rather than ending it in some nursing home.
    knight65, deadguy and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    Sad deal and unfortunate outcome. I can't help but wonder about the affects of dementia and/or meds?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

This guy didnt give the police a whole lot of choice. The police did try less lethal options. Old dude was an imediate, and real danger to everyone shooting through closed doors, and out the window. Sad as heck, but I cant fault the police. Dead from a 107 year old guy is exactly the same as dead fro a 16 year old banger.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ... he fired through the door, authorities said.

After unsuccessful negotiations, officers slipped gas into the room through a window, he said, and Isadore fired rounds at them.

The officers broke the bedroom door and hurled in a distraction device, and Isadore fired at them again ... Officers returned fire, killing him.
    Didn't give LE much choice at all.

Don't want to be stopped violently and possibly permanently? Don't fire at police knowingly, repeatedly. Bad juju, beyond being unlawful and just plain wrong. Bad choices, and you get what you get.
    awoodpd13 and Snub44 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    All of us feel compassion for the elderly and children and this is very sad for sure .
    RichB70 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    All of us feel compassion for the elderly and children and this is very sad for sure .
    But I have zero compassion for someone who chooses to knowingly shoot at LE through doors, multiple times. One would think 107yrs is plenty long enough to learn that lesson. Attempting to murder innocents is the path of criminals and gets you counted with them, irrespective of age.
    awoodpd13, Echo_Four and squid86 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But I have zero compassion for someone who chooses to knowingly shoot at LE through doors, multiple times. One would think 107yrs is plenty long enough to learn that lesson. Attempting to murder innocents is the path of criminals and gets you counted with them, irrespective of age.
    From my post one could say i give or excuse the behavior in no way do i excuse his actions . ( I should have finished my post )
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Generally speaking I agree but there's a lot more that we don't know than what we do.

At his age, it's highly possible that he didn't know who he was shooting at. If he's suffering from some of the mental conditions that frequently are found in older folks, and he's way older than most that are afflicted, then he may have been completely unaware of the 'rights' and 'wrongs' of that situation. I'd have to know a lot more before I passed any judgement on either his actions or the police actions. As a general rule I usually assume that LE are doing what they need to do but I'm well aware that this is not always the case and LE are made up of humans who, like everyone else, don't always make the 'right' decisions once the dust has settled.
    msgt/ret, 6459 and phreddy like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member
    I don't think the police had much choice in the matter. You know a bullet shot by a centenarian is still bad news.
    Last edited by Str8upguy; September 8th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
    awoodpd13 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    It appears that he was the only one in the room. They had a camera in the room so they could keep an eye on him. Couldn't they have cleared the area to insure no harm to others and wait him out. He may have been a danger to himself, but no more so than the SWAT team was to him.

The story leaves a lot out, like how long they were on scene before they shot him. Was it 20 minutes or 20 hours? I agree that if you are in your right mind, you are well aware of the actions of someone who shoots at police, but we don't know his level of dementia.

Not enough to know as usual on CNN. They do have a tendency to not support police, so when more of the story comes out, I expect they will find fault with the SWAT team.
    foxytwo likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    The story leaves a lot out, like how long they were on scene before they shot him. Was it 20 minutes or 20 hours? I agree that if you are in your right mind, you are well aware of the actions of someone who shoots at police, but we don't know his level of dementia.
    You're correct, that there aren't a lot of details. From the couple of articles I have seen, the police made a couple attempts to approach and were clearly in negotiations with the man. No indication of outright inability to communicate, to negotiate, to recognize people coming to the doors. He was aware and cognizant of the situation sufficiently to shoot in at least a couple instances soon after recognizing folks at the door. Doesn't mean he fully appreciated all aspects or that he had zero dementia/senility. But it's not as though you need to show a high level of that when that combination of circumstances is happening. Lives are being put at risk because of the man. They are the innocents. The one putting those lives at risk, OTOH, is something else. I'm sure folks there would have preferred to take him unharmed. But he wasn't having any of that. Just like a rabid 20yr old whose coked-up spree gets stopped cold, more or less, with the added nod to negotiations and attempts to bring him down easily.

Distinguished Member
    Way to much not known. Did the dead suspect assault the two? Or had he also been assaulted and was sequestered in his room fighting for his life?

In a war you learn young women children and old people can kill you I am guessing police work is the same.

We hear a lot of what went on with no time frame. If this all happened in a 2 hour time frame possibly a little patience would have worked.

I certainly fear a visit from a police force far more than I do a bad guy.

Didn't sound like he was shooting unless the police took action so it wasn't like the neighbors in danger if the police had pulled back and held a position.

Sad to see a person who saw the first phone, auto, car, electric lights etc go out in gun fire from those that protect and serve.
    Ghost1958 and phreddy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links