Left the apartment to return with his gun..?

This is a discussion on Left the apartment to return with his gun..? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...returned... ...opened fire on the armed home intruders. ...wounded one. The other got away, but left the booty and his gun... Why did he leave ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By high pockets
  • 4 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By grbr

Thread: Left the apartment to return with his gun..?

Left the apartment to return with his gun..?

...returned...

...opened fire on the armed home intruders.

...wounded one. The other got away, but left the booty and his gun...

Why did he leave and then come back and shoot?

Hoping for a better angle from the bedroom window is all I can think of...

Anyway, story here
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

... Meantime, a man who had been in the kitchen when the gunmen burst in armed himself with a gun and ran out the front door, police said. He soon returned through the front door and confronted one of the gunmen, shooting him multiple times, after which the gunman fell to the floor, police said. ...
    Sounds a little weird to me. It would be interesting to read about this incident in a couple days, after the police have time to find out what really happened. The only way it makes sense to me is if the gentleman went out to retrieve his gun from somewhere else and then re-entered the residence.

Oh well, I have learned not to expect accuracy from journalists.
    NONAME762 and Spade115 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    I am more inclined to believe he went out to his vehicle to retrieve his gun then returned and we all know just how accurate the “media” can be.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My first thought too. "He ran out to get his gun." But the article said he had his gun, left and came back? just struck me as odd...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Meantime, a man who had been in the kitchen when the gunmen burst in armed himself with a gun and ran out the front door, police said. He soon returned through the front door and confronted one of the gunmen, shooting him multiple times, after which the gunman fell to the floor, police said.
    Depending on severity of the entry, proximity to the felons, and the tactical realities at the time, heading out the back to come in the front might have been the best method of surprising and turning the tables on the felons. The results seem to bear this out. We don't know the layout of the home, nor exactly what situation he'd have found himself in on the instant of arming himself. Might have been the worst possible spot, from which to defend. Depends.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depending on severity of the entry, proximity to the felons, and the tactical realities at the time, heading out the back to come in the front might have been the best method of surprising and turning the tables on the felons. The results seem to bear this out. We don't know the layout of the home, nor exactly what situation he'd have found himself in on the instant of arming himself. Might have been the worst possible spot, from which to defend. Depends.
    Meantime, a man who had been in the kitchen when the gunmen burst in armed himself with a gun and ran out the front door, police said. He soon returned through the front door and confronted one of the gunmen, shooting him multiple times, after which the gunman fell to the floor, police said.
    I think you may have missed the bolded part of the report that said he exited and returned through the same door.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My first thought too. "He ran out to get his gun." But the article said he had his gun, left and came back? just struck me as odd...

^^^Think about it for a minute^^

Doesn't sound like a bad tactic really.

BG's would never expect you to come in the door they just did.
    Element of surprise.
    Glad he put one down, even if only temporarily.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Temporarily? GG shot BG multiple times. If he's any kind of a decent shot the BG will expire.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I think it's pretty reasonable to run out the door when you see armed intruders, even if armed (even when armed, an even up gunfight is not most people's cup of tea), then quickly realize you left two women inside at the attacker's mercy, reevaluate your actions, and go back in. So even if he had started out armed, I could see him leaving and then going back in given the situation.
    ccw9mm and Spade115 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    I think it's pretty reasonable to run out the door when you see armed intruders, even if armed (even when armed, an even up gunfight is not most people's cup of tea), then quickly realize you left two women inside at the attacker's mercy, reevaluate your actions, and go back in. So even if he had started out armed, I could see him leaving and then going back in given the situation.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I think you may have missed the bolded part of the report that said he exited and returned through the same door.
    Did miss the distinction (back door, front door). Still, heading out on the instant of an invasion isn't a bad choice. Heading back in soon after wouldn't be unlikely to surprise the invaders. Depends on details, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links