Bad: Dad charged after 6 y.o. shoots 4 y.o. sister

This is a discussion on Bad: Dad charged after 6 y.o. shoots 4 y.o. sister within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Father charged in 4-year-old?s shooting Summary: Shotgun negligently left lying around; six year old finds it, blasts 4 y.o. in the face....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bad: Dad charged after 6 y.o. shoots 4 y.o. sister

Father charged in 4-year-old?s shooting

Summary: Shotgun negligently left lying around; six year old finds it, blasts 4 y.o. in the face.
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Thank God the 4y/o is going to be OK! Shame on the father for leaving the gun out and telling the 6y/o to lie about it!

Thank God it was just birdshot!

VIP Member
    Not just bad, but truly ugly.

Every time little kids are "involved" in gun incidents the parents or whoever is the caregiver should be charged. They need to add child endangerment to the charge also. This kind of thing is more fuel for the anti 2A people than mass shootings. There is absolutely no excuse at all for leaving a firearm where a child can possibly get to it - unloaded or not. Thank goodness the little girl wasn't killed - but there is no mention of the possibility of her having facial scars for life.
    Gav1230 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    There is no excuse for not putting away your firearms, none. I didn't even consider having a firearm in this house once I had kids until I already had the safe to put them in.
    ccw9mm and Gav1230 like this.

By 6years of age that child should know the 4 rules. My kid is 5 and can recite them in command.

Educate your children. It is the best defense to prevent tragic instances like this.

-from my phone... excuse spelling
    ccw9mm, Tzadik, Sister and 2 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Maphis is charged with leaving a loaded firearm near a child and obstructing an officer, both misdemeanors.
    Tried to get the kid to lie, didn't unload and lock up his firearm. I'd say he needs more charges.

Negligence is an ugly thing. Tampering with evidence and lying to police, just as ugly.

You rolls the dice and takes your chances, in this life. If you're going to fail to secure weaponry, you run every risk of children accessing it and playing "roulette" with their very lives. It is what it is. Don't what that to happen? Then don't ignore your responsibilities on the matter.

Good reminder for everyone, on how quickly things can turn deadly.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    By 6years of age that child should know the 4 rules. My kid is 5 and can recite them in command.

Educate your children. It is the best defense to prevent tragic instances like this.

-from my phone... excuse spelling
    I have educated my kids, as of right now, they don't touch firearms. Why? The oldest is 8, they don't truly understand the consequences of mishandling a firearm. When they are mature enough to understand that, then I teach them firearm handling skills and safety.

This guy might as well just sign up to be the spokesperson for the gun control advocacy groups, because that's exactly what he just did!
    Gav1230 and ShooterGranny like this.

I am of the belief that you should safely store, but also get your kids shooting as early as possible.

NEVER underestimate the curiosity of children. There are 200,000,000 firearms in this country, you cannot secure them all, and children will naturally gravitate toward anything they are curious about (and firearms are by nature fascinating to a child).

You must do your best to secure your firearms while ALSO sating that curiosity. The sooner you can get them out shooting in a structured and well organized/supervised environment the less you have to worry about their curiosity leading to using a firearm in an unsupervised environment.

My rule is simple: if they are old enough to actually sit still, listen to instruction, and do it (for some kids that's 4, for some it's much older) I'm willing to take them to shooting, and I always bring exactly ONE gun. I can focus like a laser beam on only 1 gun and make sure it's being properly handled and only 1 firing lane is clear and safe without having to split my attention too much to make sure no other guns are being fiddled with by any other kids.

While I do store my weapons safely from children, I tell you right now that, while I would never test it, I bet any of the kids I have made sure to teach and sate that curiosity could come over to my house with all my guns loaded on the living room floor without incident. The worst thing that would happen is they'd be extremely annoying in how often they would be asking me to take them to shoot them. They know that I will sate their curiosity about them, they do not need to try to do it themselves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Tried to get the kid to lie, didn't unload and lock up his firearm. I'd say he needs more charges.
    They charged him for telling the kid to lie. They charged him for leaving a loaded firearm where I child could gain access to it. That seems to pretty much cover everything he did. What other charges could they file? I guess nobody has ever been convicted for shooting JFK- so hang that on him maybe.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    They charged him for telling the kid to lie. They charged him for leaving a loaded firearm where I child could gain access to it. That seems to pretty much cover everything he did. What other charges could they file? I guess nobody has ever been convicted for shooting JFK- so hang that on him maybe.
    Child endangerment? The charges were leaving a loaded firearm near a child and obstructing an officer (possibly the urging the child to lie, possibly something else.)

My point was BOTH WERE MISDEMEANORS. Perhaps he needs a felony child endangerment charge? Your snarky comment shows you didn't read my post or the original article.

What's your beef, really?
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    IIRC,,,,,,the guy that shot JFK was shot before his trial could begin.......

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    I have educated my kids, as of right now, they don't touch firearms. Why? The oldest is 8, they don't truly understand the consequences of mishandling a firearm. When they are mature enough to understand that, then I teach them firearm handling skills and safety.
    MY 5 year old will fire his first weapon before he is 6. I expect him to learn through experience.

grbr talked about the curiosity in kids. Jim Cirillo discussed that in a few books. His philosophy, which i share, is that if you take the taboo out of guns they will be less likely to do the wrong thing. EVERY Time he asks to see it at home he gets to. We discuss safety every time, i ask him if it is safe before he handles it and HE is the one that (under my supervision) checks that it is clear.

Remove the taboo and they will not have morbid curiosity.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links