GOOD: Man flips after observing a legal MWAG, gets arrested

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man flips after observing a legal MWAG, gets arrested within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Sees Gun, Thinks Bank May Be Robbed, Gets Arrested Himself - Courant.com GLASTONBURY — A man who became alarmed when he saw a man ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: GOOD: Man flips after observing a legal MWAG, gets arrested

Man Sees Gun, Thinks Bank May Be Robbed, Gets Arrested Himself - Courant.com

GLASTONBURY — A man who became alarmed when he saw a man carrying a gun inside the TD Bank at 2461 Main St. last Thursday afternoon was himself charged with breach of peace because he shook up bank staff.
    "He was trying to relay to the teller someone had a gun," Glastonbury Agent Kevin Szydlo said. Gursky was trying to write a note to the teller, and also said "gun."
    The teller and other bank staff became alarmed, activated their robbery protocol and called police, Szydlo said. Police figured out who had the gun and determined he possessed it legally. They also tracked down Gursky, interviewed him, then charged him with breach of peace.
    Its about time. Some of these extreme anti-gunners are just looking to give legal armed citizens a really hard time. IMO Their actions are not based for concern or safety. I'm sure Mr. Gursky knew this was legal, he just didn't like the law. His actions were purely to give this legal gun owner as much frustration and legal trouble as he possible could.

I hope we start seeing more of these arrest.

That's exactly the sort of handling that false, baseless MWAG calls should have. In a state where an armed citizenry is lawful, it's hard to believe this stiff approach to false claims isn't done more often. It'll help quash the silliness, if done religiously. Should be done on 911 calls, as well, abusing/misusing the 911 system, false police report, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Some of these extreme anti-gunners are just looking to give legal armed citizens a really hard time. IMO Their actions are not based for concern or safety. I'm sure Mr. Gursky knew this was legal, he just didn't like the law.
    You have no evidence to support that claim. You are assuming that because a person freaks out about a gun that they are anti-gun. That does not have to be the case. They are just as likely to have never been exposed to them. There are plenty of people in this country that have no had anything to do with a firearm and don't understand them at all except for what they see in the news or movies. So a person like that could very well end up in a panic over seeing a firearm in a bank. After all, in the news and movies what is the only reason a gun is in the bank? To rob it.

What we need is to educate these folks, not arrest them.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    You have no evidence to support that claim. You are assuming that because a person freaks out about a gun that they are anti-gun. That does not have to be the case. They are just as likely to have never been exposed to them. There are plenty of people in this country that have no had anything to do with a firearm and don't understand them at all except for what they see in the news or movies. So a person like that could very well end up in a panic over seeing a firearm in a bank. After all, in the news and movies what is the only reason a gun is in the bank? To rob it.

You are correct, there is no evidence of his motives. I did include a IMO (In my opinion), but I've read enough of these types of incidents to feel my opinion is correct.

Had he simply made a call, that's one thing. In that case, perhaps I'd agree, unless falsification of the situation were passed along in the report.

But this guy apparently opted to approach a teller at a bank with a hand-written note that had "gun" on it, prompting the reaction at the bank. It was a bit foolish to do, considering that's the one primary tactic used by bank robbers. Had he simply chosen to speak in hushed tones to one of the other tellers, he'd have gotten his point across without sparking a panic.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm pretty sure getting arrested for it was quite educational for him.

Jus sayin...

Distinguished Member
    The guy that wrote gun and gave it to the teller should have been arrested for being too stoopid to be in public!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Ive never understood the suspicion of a man walking with a firearm in a holster, whether it be iwb or owb. I get concerned at the bank when i see it in their hands.
    ccw9mm, knight65, rigel42 and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    The guy that wrote gun and gave it to the teller should have been arrested for being too stoopid to be in public!
    No doubt Sister no doubt. One has to wonder does that mans mom know he's out running around by himself?
    Dan060, BurgerBoy and mook012 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I am glad the guy got arrested. That makes it newsworthy which will provide "education" for all who read or hear about it. A few stories like this will help the general population "chill" a bit when they observe someone carrying a gun in public. It they see it often enough the emotional response will be greatly reduced.

Next time a caller reports an armed man/woman carrying the cops should observe the armed person and if they are not committing a crime they should take a minute and educate the caller.
    msgt/ret, BadgerJ and CIBMike like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I wish being stooopid was a crime. Or I think I do.

I agree with OWS (I hate it when I have to say that). Not that Mr. Gursky isn't an idiot, but arresting for him for (even stupidly) trying to warn the bank employees seems odd. Education is the key.
    Stoveman and DontTreadOnI like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Had he simply made a call, that's one thing. In that case, perhaps I'd agree, unless falsification of the situation were passed along in the report.

But this guy apparently opted to approach a teller at a bank with a hand-written note that had "gun" on it, prompting the reaction at the bank. It was a bit foolish to do, considering that's the one primary tactic used by bank robbers. Had he simply chosen to speak in hushed tones to one of the other tellers, he'd have gotten his point across without sparking a panic.
    While I for the most part agree, speaking in hushed tones and mentioning a gun is also a tactic used by bank robbers. If he had taken this approach, I'm inclined to believe the teller wouldn't have heard anything after "gun" and hit the panic button anyways.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    While I for the most part agree, speaking in hushed tones and mentioning a gun is also a tactic used by bank robbers. If he had taken this approach, I'm inclined to believe the teller wouldn't have heard anything after "gun" and hit the panic button anyways.
    Why notify the teller at all? If he really believed the bank was about to be robbed, the best thing to do would be to exit the lobby and dial 911 on his cell from the parking lot. Then again, ,as per my previous post, he knew dam well the bank wasn't about to be robbed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You have no evidence to support that claim. You are assuming that because a person freaks out about a gun that they are anti-gun. That does not have to be the case. They are just as likely to have never been exposed to them.
    I would assume that people who freak out at the sight of a snake are probably anti-snake and definitely don't have one at home as a pet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links