Know your backstop....

Know your backstop....

This is a discussion on Know your backstop.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; convenience store owner shot armed robber... But also hit his friend... Robber's weapon was an airsoft pistol... Story here: Two Shot, Including Accused Robber, In ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By Echo_Four
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958
  • 5 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: Know your backstop....

Know your backstop....

convenience store owner shot armed robber... But also hit his friend...

Robber's weapon was an airsoft pistol...

Story here: Two Shot, Including Accused Robber, In Pitt County Store Hold-Up

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

All i have to say is, "know your target and whats beyond." Owner got lucky his friend didnt die. I wonder how/if the DA is gonna pursue.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    Funny thing about life and death fights- we don't get to pick where or when they happen. You may not have a choice other than to die or shoot when doing so could endanger people on the other side of the bad dude. I won't judge the guy until I find myself in his shoes.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Agree with Echo. Yes it would be wonderful in a perfect world of SD if one had time when attacked to identify the threat as a threat and scan for everyone behind them.

Unfortunately if it happens to you it will likely be happening so fast that you will barely have time get your firearm into the game and effectively defend against the threat much less scan for innocents, change angles or your position. And as much as everyone loves to think they would, training or not, 98 percent wont even think of it when Bubba the axe murder is 5 feet away and coming fast.

Not pretty or popular thing to say probably but a lot closer to reality than having time to make sure the area behind your would be grim reaper is clear.

If its not and by some miracle you do notice it and your being pressed to the max by a BG what is the plan? Ask him to kindly move to a clear area?

I realize there are some situations where you could have time for all that. Third person protection, possibly active shooter where you are sort of unnoticed yet.

But a doped up felon bearing down on you? All that situational control just went out the window.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The BG should be charged with attempted robbery and also with attempted murder because the friend was shot while the BG was committing the robbery.

Sent from whichever side of my brain comes up with these things.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I'd rather my rounds not fully penetrate and having to put a few more into the BG as opposed to over penetrating and hitting innocent bystanders. If it's my fight I'm gonna do my best to destroy my target, BUT only my target.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd rather my rounds not fully penetrate and having to put a few more into the BG as opposed to over penetrating and hitting innocent bystanders. If it's my fight I'm gonna do my best to destroy my target, BUT only my target.
    Will a defense round or hollow point round stay in the BG if you hit center of mass?
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Rocky, the store owner, needs to stop talking.
    welder516 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    The BG should be charged with attempted robbery and also with attempted murder because the friend was shot while the BG was committing the robbery.

Sent from whichever side of my brain comes up with these things.

^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

This is no different than when 3 BG storm a house or business and 1-2 get shot or killed by the home/storeowner and they surviving BG(s) get charged with the crime.
    Store owner did no wrong.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Will a defense round or hollow point round stay in the BG if you hit center of mass?
    It's very dependent on bullet design and horsepower, but ultimately that is the goal. Chances are good that the round will do as intended, but it depends greatly on ones ability to hit COM of course.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

In a gunfight/shooting anything can happen,just as you squeeze off the round the BG ducks and you miss,maybe he moves and your round passes through flesh along his side,maybe his friend ducked behind the counter and he didn't see him.I've seen people shooting at full size silhouette targets that are stationary at 7 yards and the pattern their pattern covers the whole silhoutte,now if that target was moving most of those rounds would be in the wind
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Modern defensive rounds are designed to expand and dump all of the energy into the target and stop within the body. But like all things designed by man they don't always work as intended. The cavity can get clogged by clothing which can make the round act like a traditional ball round and maintain shape and punch through and through. The metals used in the manufacturing of the round could be slightly compromised giving the round a more rigid structure preventing it from expanding, or any number of things. Just because it is designed to do something doesn't mean it will work.
    oakchas likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links