Another "Fired for defending one's self" case

This is a discussion on Another "Fired for defending one's self" case within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another worker fired for defending himself. His comments at the end say it all. New Hampshire gas station clerk says he was fired for pulling ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another "Fired for defending one's self" case

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Another "Fired for defending one's self" case

Another worker fired for defending himself. His comments at the end say it all.

New Hampshire gas station clerk says he was fired for pulling gun on robber | Fox News
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

We had a guy shoot 2 robbers at an Aldi in MKE...the next day they put up no firearms allowed signs. He was not charged but the cops are still holding his firearm. 2 years later...

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    snip ~ "According to Cothran, although a store manager and a district manager tried to save his job, he was terminated for violating a company policy that forbids employees from carrying guns."

tough one, private businesses can have their own polices regarding what goes on on their property and i'm not sure if i want that to change. he could get a gas station job anywhere. maybe the robber will see this in the news and come back?
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Each company is allowed to make the rules for their employees. The employee has the choice if they want to work for that company.

I'm guessing he knew the rules when he took the job.I can't have one on me where i work so i don't.
    suntzu likes this.

As stated, it's an individuals choice, my employer does not allow carrying of weapons, I have to decide if I want to carry a firearm for my safety and risk loosing my job if I was found out (but know I could defend myself if something went seriously wrong), or not carry and be sure of having a job but less able to defend myself.. As they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.. I assume he knew the company policy when he chose to carry, so it was a conscious decision by him to protect himself but risk loosing his job if they found out. Unfortunate outcome, but employers have the right to stipulate the rules they want employees to follow, and employees have the rights to follow or discard those rules, and face the consequences..

Gary
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Make your choices and live with the consequences. At least this fellow CAN live with the consequences.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

He's alive and kicking. He can find another job.

Good for him for protecting himself...and too bad his former employer is a moron.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    “I can find another job,” he told the Telegraph. “A paycheck’s a paycheck. I don’t really care where it comes from. I cannot justify in my mind trying to save my job at the risk of not ever seeing my family and friends again.”

'Sounds like he's got his head screwed on straight. He'll be fine.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I once worked for a company that had a no firearms policy for employees on company property and in company vehicles. I did not have a CCL and did not carry so back then it did not seem like a big deal to me but looking back it is a big deal. There was over 25 stores in this company that all closed at 6:00 and managers had to do deposits that could sometimes involve a lot of cash. The company also believed that if you were robbed give them the money but it does not always end there and IMO the company was taking their employees rights to defend themselves away. Some of these stores were in spots where crime rate was not great either, nothing like Chicago or NYC but not great.

This guy made the right choice because he is alive to find another job. I wonder if he were to get injured or killed during a robbery where a firearm could have prevented it if his family could sue the company for not allowing him to carry a firearm.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

I've worked for companies that didn't have an official policy, or they didn't tell me about it. Since I'm a gal, they might have assumed I didn't need to know (bad assumption). It's possible he didn't know if his superiors didn't tell him.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I didn't work out with the public so i guess that made a difference.I didn't really have to worry about being robbed or whatever.

I worked inside one of the Dupont plants for 32 years.If they caught you with a bullet you were gone period..They paid to good to even try something like that.They didn't care about what was in your car just couldn't carry inside..

Evidently the guy in this story wasn't paid all that well.That being said,everyone has to decide what's best for theirself.

VIP Member
    The article went to some lengths to not identify the employer. It must be of some size to have a district manager. I would like to know what company it is.

ETA: HuffPo IDs the company as Shell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4109365.html

As usual, the Brits have more details.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...un-robber.html
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Each company is allowed to make the rules for their employees. The employee has the choice if they want to work for that company.
    Each company is allowed to make the rules for employment at the company, sure. A company can decide whether it holds any value at all for employees' lives, too. As appears to be the case with this company.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links