Bad: Victim of May Issue?

This is a discussion on Bad: Victim of May Issue? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man killed in front of son answering Craigslist ad in Los Angeles Good for the son to survive and maybe be a witness. The incident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bad: Victim of May Issue?

Distinguished Member

Bad: Victim of May Issue?

Man killed in front of son answering Craigslist ad in Los Angeles

Good for the son to survive and maybe be a witness. The incident raises the question of whether the victim would have chosen to carry a weapon and have the mindset and training necessary to counter the attack. I'd rather risk too much freedom than to abdicate to criminals the power to bear arms.

Rene Balbuena, 41, and his 15-year-son were responding to a Craiglist ad at about 7:40 p.m. at 92nd Street and Gramercy Place on Saturday, where they were approached by two people believed to have made the online post, said Los Angeles police Sgt. Rudy Alaniz.

"The preliminary investigation indicates it was an attempted robbery. Two male blacks walked up to the car and shot the victim," Alaniz said.

Balbuena was shot three times in the upper torso and was taken to California Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Alaniz. The 15-year-old son had stable vital signs at the hospital and was being treated for a graze wound.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That is the Dilemma here in Maryland lots of good people facing and dying on a daily basis .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Any time I respond in person to an ad of any kind, I'm armed. This is exactly why. And I never bring my children.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    StormRhydr likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    That is the reason if you are the person responding to the ad, you set the location and time of the meeting.
    brocktice likes this.

May issue is better than no issue. But not by much as its to dependent on local authorities deciding this or that based on personal agendas and prejudices. Even personal dislikes of the applicant.

Its infringement just as shall issue is also infringement. There should be no requirement to freely purchase and own whatever firearms one chooses too as long as they are free to walk among the rest of us. Until we get back to that point then these things will happen and when they do the responsibility lands squarely in the laps of those who propose and support unconstitutional and illegal gun regulation. JMO. But a strong one.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

This is just so sad both for the victim who died and for his son who lost his dad. I have a perfect punishment for the perps if they are caught. TTOOASA1000'
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Government killed another citizen with their unlawful ignorant and anti American rules.. Sad stuff. I just don't know what to say anymore. Keep fighting because I have a feeling aggressive gun control is coming soon such as not seen before. Only because Obama's time is short (not short enough) and I believe he needs to accomplish this task for his legacy. He will use deception as usual
    welder516 and Ghost1958 like this.

He's not the first, and will not be the last. May issue is the epitome of elitism - except for those in counties where CLEO's are rational people, it is only for the rich and politically connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Man killed in front of son answering Craigslist ad in Los Angeles

The incident raises the question of whether the victim would have chosen to carry a weapon and have the mindset and training necessary to counter the attack.
    Well, they've seen first-hand the risks inherent in daring to answer a public ad to meet people they don't know, blindly and unprepared. Perhaps they'll start to get it, now. Though, perhaps not.

It's not like in Los Angeles County they've got many options, seeing as how the anti-gunners have a stranglehold on the "might-never-issue" status of CHL's.

Even so, even without the lawful means to carry firearms, they had other options. But they apparently chose to not take many precautions at all. And they saw where that got them. Crime can happen anytime, anywhere. But it can really up the ante when you're unprepared, unwitting, incapable of defending, caught unawares, caught in a place beyond "screaming" distance (beyond help), caught in a place without options, etc. It is what it is. And the felons know it.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links in posts #1 and #9 do not lead to story...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Post #9 has been fixed. Thanks for the heads-up. (Good reminder to always, always, double-check posts once they've been submitted.)
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't do Craigslist either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They both work for me. It's a short notice. I got most of it in quotes in post #1. Suspects at large. Ever try Ctrl+F5 to refresh page cache?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, they've seen first-hand the risks inherent in daring to answer a public ad to meet people they don't know, blindly and unprepared. Perhaps they'll start to get it, now. Though, perhaps not.

It's not like in Los Angeles County they've got many options, seeing as how the anti-gunners have a stranglehold on the "might-never-issue" status of CHL's.

Even so, even without the lawful means to carry firearms, they had other options. But they apparently chose to not take many precautions at all. And they saw where that got them. Crime can happen anytime, anywhere. But it can really up the ante when you're unprepared, unwitting, incapable of defending, caught unawares, caught in a place beyond "screaming" distance (beyond help), caught in a place without options, etc. It is what it is. And the felons know it.
    One of the two victims is dead.
    I should apply (13pp) with "Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Use additional pages if necessary" being that I might shop on Craigslist.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member

Arrests in the Case

“The two male suspects approached the victims’ vehicle on foot from the rear,” according to a Los Angeles Police Department statement. “The suspects began demanding that the victims hand over their money. [The dad] exited the vehicle, and one of the suspects began shooting.”
    They went to gangland at dark thirty to buy a phone advertised on Craigslist.
    LAPD made two arrests and gave a news conference this hour.
    images.jpg
    Nothing special about any of it but the point that the sheriff is denying 2A rights probably to no good effect as the jurisdictions that honor 2A have proven, to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I should apply (13pp) with "Details of Reason for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Use additional pages if necessary" being that I might shop on Craigslist.
    I have never understood California's insistence on some ridiculous "good cause" statement to justify the need for a CHL, in the application process. As though protection of one's very life against predators in this world isn't enough. Being utterly incapable of withstanding crime is what got this guy, sadly. Though, heading out at "dark thirty" to an anonymous classified ad didn't help matters.

Pistology, my heartfelt condolences over losing your guy. I hope his family is getting through this okay.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links