Palm beach self defense shoot

This is a discussion on Palm beach self defense shoot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WPTV Wireless: Deputy: 'I was in fear for my life' According to a taped interview with investigators, PBSO Deputy Joshua McGehee told them he was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Palm beach self defense shoot

WPTV Wireless: Deputy: 'I was in fear for my life'

According to a taped interview with investigators, PBSO Deputy Joshua McGehee told them he was in fear for his life and tried retreating before shooting a Royal Palm Beach mentally ill man multiple times in May.

McGehee says his dealings with Aldo Alvarez started as conversation.

"He said are you new to the neighborhood and I said I just moved here in February," McGehee said in the taped interview.

McGehee says Alvarez also asked him if he was a cop, and then became upset, telling McGehee to lower his voice.

"He was very mad and extremely angry...that look in his eye that I am going to kill a person...he was shaking and red," McGehee told investigators.

McGehee says Alvarez punched him and followed him into his garage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If he was indeed backed into his garage it seems to me like a good shoot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Meh!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is it just me that thinks the trademark statement "I was in fear for my life" says guilty or rehearsed? I can understand "I thought the SOB was going to kill me!" because that would be my words.

There is a lot of controversy involved in this case and much conflicting evidence. We'll see how it works out.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The 'shootee' survived? If so it sure does point out how effective pistols are in many instances.

"It just seems to me it is hard to believe you were shooting to defend yourself if you empty an entire clip and go and reload...I think he panicked and now they are charging Aldo with a crime to justify what took place," Richter said.

This part makes me laugh. I'd like to know how much about shooting Alvarez's attorney knows. Being that the shooter is a cop, I'd assume (if he did reload as the attorney says) that he probably had a spare "mag" on his person, and after emptying the "magazine" instinctively reloaded.

People have reported before not knowing how many rounds they fired, only to find out they fired off ALL their rounds. The round count is hardly proof of guilt.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

As a deputy I would expect him to use the language he heard in the academy. But who do you tell that you are law enforcement until you know them if you are not on duty in uniform?

I'm assuming that there was some way to identify him as one, because I don't see why someone would randomly ask if you are a cop.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links