Bad:7-Eleven clerk fired for pulling gun out during robbery

This is a discussion on Bad:7-Eleven clerk fired for pulling gun out during robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 7-Eleven clerk fired for pulling gun out during robbery...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Bad:7-Eleven clerk fired for pulling gun out during robbery

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Bad:7-Eleven clerk fired for pulling gun out during robbery

gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    He said he knew having a firearm was against company policy.Then i just don't feel sorry for him.If he hadn't known that would be different.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    we just had this discussion a couple weeks ago Another "Fired for defending one's self" case

worker not too upset by losing crummy job, stupid policy at a large company and the bigwigs not making an exception.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and Mdauben like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I won't fault him or the company.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

This is a completely different case, technomonster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    This is a completely different case, technomonster.
    how so? same situation different day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    He said he knew having a firearm was against company policy.Then i just don't feel sorry for him.If he hadn't known that would be different.
    I think it is a stupid policy that encourages criminals.

He was a big boy and made his decision, but he shouldn't have had to choose job vs safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Aceoky, Mdauben and gatorbait51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    how so? same situation different day.
    Different people, different gas stations, different location. If it was the same exact story, I'd understand the point of your post. But it's a different story.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

If I were to work at somewhere with a high robbery rate I wouldn't pull my gun unless I was threatened. They can have the 40 bucks in the register. I think sometimes it is a natural reaction to fight for the cash.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Different people, different gas stations, different location. If it was the same exact story, I'd understand the point of your post. But it's a different story.
    the point is that i dont think any forum member has developed a different opinion in the last two weeks and since we just had a lengthy discussion over the topic of employees right to SD and the business owners right to impose such a rule on private property the OP may be interested to see it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Fact - You take a high risk job with a company that forbids personal protection and you decide to carry regardless, your continued employment is at peril through your own choice. Sometimes you have to make a decision and live with the consequences.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    The thing is, it's not so much a policy distinction as one of life and limb ... and who values it. That's really what it comes down to. Particularly in any stop-'n'-rob type job. It's not as though the mindless policy protects anyone but the company's conscience and legal team. It does, though, deliberately and knowingly put its staff at direct risk of being forced to be at the mercy of often-merciless predators.

Each person needs to decide what's more worthwhile: complying with pointless policies of this sort, or surviving such encounters.

I, for one, don't fault this guy for making the right call (in his case, for him). Very possibly, he's alive because of it. At some point, companies are going to need to square with the fact of what such empty policies actually accomplish.
    Aceoky, BenGoodLuck and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Aaron Tippin song: Ya got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

The clerk was aware of the company policy. He stood for what he thought was right (and legal I might add). The clerk got fired, but kept his life and integrity. Well done.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Aaron Tippin song: Ya got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

The clerk was aware of the company policy. He stood for what he thought was right (and legal I might add). The clerk got fired, but kept his life and integrity. Well done.
    Agreed. That job was expendable, but his life is not.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that the person who makes the decision not to allow a employee to carry is sitting behind a desk on some upper floor of a building with security guards and feels 0 risk that anyone could possibly threaten him at work with other than a sexual harassment suit.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links