Following a criminal involves certain risks for the regular citizen

This is a discussion on Following a criminal involves certain risks for the regular citizen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Robbery victim shot at after following assailants...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Following a criminal involves certain risks for the regular citizen

How stupid can one person possibly be? Two people, really, since the girlfriend clearly didn't talk him out of it. Amazing.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I'm reading "Guns and Violence: The English Experience". It's kind of interesting w.r.t. this story because before England had a professional police force, citizens were actually required, to the extent of their ability, to follow and catch (or kill if unable to catch) anyone seen to have attempted or committed a felony. So this used to be an obligation, with a penalty for not doing it, in England.

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    How stupid can one person possibly be? Two people, really, since the girlfriend clearly didn't talk him out of it. Amazing.
    Also, article sounds fishy. Plus IMO it's reasonable to try and get a plate number, but that doesn't take a lot of following.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Also, article sounds fishy. Plus IMO it's reasonable to try and get a plate number, but that doesn't take a lot of following.
    Two unarmed people chasing after three armed criminals, that's nowhere near my definition of reasonable. Even if they were armed, it's a bad idea. You need to get close enough to be shot at to get the plate number. This seems like a losing proposition to me...your best case scenario involves not finding them at all.

But then, if they did get that plate number, then there are three perps at risk of charges of armed robbery and attempted murder. Unless, of course, they were smart enough to have stolen the vehicle and wiped it down. Even so, the gunman seems to be somewhat known to the victim, so it might be possible to find them anyway.

Getting a license plate is something I'd consider doing. But likely not in a situation where there were three and I'd been the victim of armed robbery by them. Particularly not if unarmed myself. As a third-party in which it was unlikely I'd be spotted, absolutely. Unarmed, though?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    he was called into a parked vehicle by a man he had met before "but does not really know"

sounds like a drug deal / sale of stolen property gone bad. how many of you carry 500 cash regularly and get in to cars driven by people you don't really know while wearing 3800 in jewelry?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    he was called into a parked vehicle by a man he had met before "but does not really know"

sounds like a drug deal / sale of stolen property gone bad. how many of you carry 500 cash regularly and get in to cars driven by people you don't really know while wearing 3800 in jewelry?
    Yep. This is what I meant when I said it sounded fishy.

Life is hard. Its even harder when your stupid.
    JDavisArk likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Life is hard. Its even harder when your stupid.
    I'm thinking of making this my sig line (since I don't have one yet). Would you mind if I did?

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    Two unarmed people chasing after three armed criminals, that's nowhere near my definition of reasonable. Even if they were armed, it's a bad idea. You need to get close enough to be shot at to get the plate number. This seems like a losing proposition to me...your best case scenario involves not finding them at all.
    I was thinking along the lines of driving by them and snapping a camera phone picture of the plates on the go, not following them until they stop, get out, and shoot at me, but the whole story sounds so odd, who knows what was actually going on.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Whatever it really was, I wouldn't do it without getting payed to.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links