Teenage "Prowler" Shot by Homeowner

This is a discussion on Teenage "Prowler" Shot by Homeowner within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened in Coal Grove, OH, about a half hour from my home. The "kid" was attempting to break into a storage building and was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Teenage "Prowler" Shot by Homeowner

This happened in Coal Grove, OH, about a half hour from my home. The "kid" was attempting to break into a storage building and was caught by the homeowner and shot as he "lunged" towards the homeowner.

The Lawrence Co OH Sheriff says no charges are being sought and the homeowner is claiming self-defense. We will see how this plays out, but the Coal Grove Police were in the area responding to a call of a "prowler." Probably the kid who got shot busting into a storage building, but who's to say.

I like what Sheriff Lawless (funny name for a Sheriff) said and I quote...

"I think property owners are more and more fed up with crimes against them, which is certainly understandable, but I also think that our suspects, criminals, are being more brazen as well and being more aggressive toward homeowners," Sheriff Lawless said

I think the Sheriff "gets it."

UPDATE: Homeowner Shoots Possible Prowler; Teen Critical
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    [SARCASM]Oh no, he's just a kid. The guy should have known he was just a kid playing a game and let him keep doing what he was doing! [/SARCASM]
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    He got an occupational boo boo. Ain't it a shame..... One doesn't lunge at a man when he's on the mans property. At least not without possible consequences. Pity.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Memo to "kids", If you are on someones property and get caught stealing or attempting to steal you are eventually going to be confronted by the legal owner of that "stuff". At that point you are engaging in criminal actions and the property owner is likely very frightened and if armed you little theft will likely get you shot dead. Unfair? probably. Death penalty for theft? Way too severe. Getting shot while being a criminal and being face to face with an armed property owner - well the fear of safety from a criminal = you may pay the ultimate price, reasonable penalties are out the window. Solution? Stay the heck away from me and mine. I'll be scared half to death- you can figure out the other half.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

If you want to be a felon and take a violent swipe at me, particularly when trying to rob me or my family, then you're gonna get what you get. The locked gate/door and property not being yours was your final warning.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Lawrence Co OH Sheriff ... Sheriff Lawless ...
    'Johnny' Law, led by Sheriff Lawless in Lawrence Cty. Too apt by half.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

At this "kids" age I was in the Marines. If he wants to act like this he is plenty old enough to be shot. If he wants to do it again shoot him again.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Memo to "kids", If you are on someones property and get caught stealing or attempting to steal you are eventually going to be confronted by the legal owner of that "stuff". At that point you are engaging in criminal actions and the property owner is likely very frightened and if armed you little theft will likely get you shot dead. Unfair? probably. Death penalty for theft? Way too severe. Getting shot while being a criminal and being face to face with an armed property owner - well the fear of safety from a criminal = you may pay the ultimate price, reasonable penalties are out the window. Solution? Stay the heck away from me and mine. I'll be scared half to death- you can figure out the other half.
    Frightened?

Try ticked off.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Frightened?

Try ticked off.
    Both, probably.
    gatorbait51 and JoJoGunn like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

As the victim of a burglary myself, I would not hesitate to shoot a burglar if another one comes calling and I happen to be home. Luckily for the one who came to my home, we were not there. There is no excuse for burglary, none.

I don't care if they are "substance abuse" people, "down on their luck" people or those who feel "entitled" to what I have just because they want it. If I EVER am home when a burglar comes calling, they had better be ready to meet Jesus. I'm all too willing to extend the privilege to them. I have no use for a thief. I can always replace the spent ammo because it is much harder to replace what they steal, especially when they steal my guns like the one did last year.

I also have a Samurai Sword. A gleaming 42" razor sharp curved blade that has yet to taste blood. One "swipe" with "Yuriko" and the burglar will know pain and may really need those drugs he's so dependent upon.

As for the guy who shot the young "man" I'm glad he did it. I understand that may have been the last thing on his mind, but the thugs and thieves have pushed people to this point. I would tell you how I really feel but I think you can read between the lines.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I do think that the day of the poor pitiful criminal is coming to its well anticipated end ..
    Jeanlouise and JoJoGunn like this.

I wonder if this kid was an 'Honor Student', making his first mistake in life.

A kid doesn't just decided to break into a neighbor's shed without previous bouts with 'bad life decisions'.

I fully support this home owners decision to defend himself when attacked. It sounds like he knew how to 'frame' his words correctly when talking to the deputies.

If this kid recovers, I hope he isn't stupid enough to give this home owner any more grief. That could prove to be a fatal miscalculation with a good paper trail...I'm just saying'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This happened about an hour from me. The kids mom lives in a small town about 15 minutes away. Pretty much what the story says is what the locals here that know the kid and mother are saying as well. Havent heard anybody defending what the kid did though im sure his mother is saddened and worried if he will live or not as would be natural. ,

Does make a point though. Being armed and even having the drop on a BG while waiting for police wont guarantee anything. The whole thing can still go south if the BG is dumb high or desperate enough.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Any thoughts there's a connection to your loss?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Frightened?

Try ticked off.
    Scared will play better in court.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wonder if this kid was an 'Honor Student', making his first mistake in life.

A kid doesn't just decided to break into a neighbor's shed without previous bouts with 'bad life decisions'.

I fully support this home owners decision to defend himself when attacked. It sounds like he knew how to 'frame' his words correctly when talking to the deputies.

If this kid recovers, I hope he isn't stupid enough to give this home owner any more grief. That could prove to be a fatal miscalculation with a good paper trail...I'm just saying'...
    no...he was just in the middle of turning his life around...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links