Gonzaga students face possible expulsion for using gun to ward off intruder

This is a discussion on Gonzaga students face possible expulsion for using gun to ward off intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gonzaga students face possible expulsion for using gun to ward off intruder | Fox News I'd find a new school....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gonzaga students face possible expulsion for using gun to ward off intruder

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Gonzaga students face possible expulsion for using gun to ward off intruder

gottabkiddin and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here is why.

From link; McIntosh has a concealed weapons permit for the pistol. However, Gonzaga students may not possess handguns on campus or university-owned property, according to the student handbook

I would move off campus/reside in a non school owned property.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    To oneshot:

Fagan and McIntosh were at the off-campus apartment on the night of October 24
    They made a basic mistake. They called in a report. Why? Nothing happened. Then they talked to the cops and outed themselves, meaning they did not know the school policy (even though it supposedly only covers on-campus activity).

They should have called a lawyer or just said nothing. They should have taken a video of this guy trying to get in. How did the cops get the sense they brandished? Probably they admitted or even embellished their use of a firearm (they didn't shoot anyone) in the false bravado heat of the moment after being contacted after the report.

I'm kind of amazed that the cops responded when there was really nothing going on (the BG had left). Hard to tell, perhaps they put down on paper that they had a gun and used it to threaten the BG to make him leave. Why not use a baseball bat, instead, or claim that's what they did? Puzzling.

Moral: Don't out yourself to the cops, in fact never talk to them.
    NONAME762 and ANGLICO like this.

Gonzaga is a Jesuit University in WA State. I was accepted to law school there, but decided on another. They are NOT some liberal school, like one might think.

Well, its all relative, they are more liberal than some, but Jesuits are old school good, when it comes to educating. Its also a private school.

I have some hopes that they will use good sense on this. If the student was some scary nut, well hes probably gone. If not, I hope they make the right decision.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I'm kind of amazed that the cops responded when there was really nothing going on (the BG had left). Hard to tell, perhaps they put down on paper that they had a gun and used it to threaten the BG to make him leave. Why not use a baseball bat, instead, or claim that's what they did? Puzzling.

You would prefer LE did not respond to your call?

Long story short, they violated university rules. As adults they made the choice to live there, and knowingly violated the rules, so they should expect repercussions for violating those rules. It called accepting responsibility for one's actions and decisions. They could have resided elsewhere if they didn't like the rules.
    Hopyard, msgt/ret and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    McIntosh has a concealed weapons permit for the pistol. However, Gonzaga students may not possess handguns on campus or university-owned property, according to the student handbook. In a statement to KAYU-TV, a university spokesman said the policy was longstanding and had been put in place to reduce the number of threats to the campus.
    Hm. Seems to me that being forced to find other living quarters would be the appropriate response, not erasure of their educational career at that university. But it seems like thwarting robbery and other violent crime isn't on the "lesson plan" for that school.

All the more reason to live off campus. All the more reason to seek a state where being barred from having the means of defending yourself isn't tantamount to an educational "death" sentence.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You would prefer LE did not respond to your call?

Long story short, they violated university rules. As adults they made the choice to live there, and knowingly violated the rules, so they should expect repercussions for violating those rules. It called accepting responsibility for one's actions and decisions. They could have resided elsewhere if they didn't like the rules.
    Respond to what? 'Hello, there was a guy here trying to force his way in. He left'.

Also they DID NOT violate the specific rules if you read the article, they were in OFF-GROUNDS housing. The U may still try and take action it appears.

VIP Member
    To oneshot:

They made a basic mistake. They called in a report. Why? Nothing happened.
    Something did happen. An attempted home invasion. It was appropriate to report it.

Then they talked to the cops and outed themselves, meaning they did not know the school policy (even though it supposedly only covers on-campus activity).
    Yes, they didn't obey the terms of their rental agreement to live in property owned by the University.

They should have called a lawyer or just said nothing. They should have taken a video of this guy trying to get in. How did the cops get the sense they brandished? Probably they admitted or even embellished their use of a firearm (they didn't shoot anyone) in the false bravado heat of the moment after being contacted after the report.
    I don't see this in the link at post 1. Are you using a different source for information on the incident?

I'm kind of amazed that the cops responded when there was really nothing going on (the BG had left).
    Huh? Someone tried to break into
    my sister in-laws house. Cops came and checked for prints on the door where the screen was cut out, and foot prints in the yard, and clothing on the fence
    that was jumped. In this case we are discussing they were investigating a crime.

Hard to tell, perhaps they put down on paper that they had a gun and used it to threaten the BG to make him leave. Why not use a baseball bat, instead, or claim that's what they did? Puzzling.

They did nothing wrong beyond breaking a school rule. There are other schools.

Or, just maybe the school having become aware that BGs roam the halls of building they own, will reconsider their rules. Maybe they'll think a bit about their responsibility to keep the apartment complex safe.
    StormRhydr, ccw9mm and Echo_Four like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yeah, I stand corrected Hopyard on the housing. Apparently it is off-campus but owned by the University. Still the law there that would seem to be in effect would not be a University policy, but the standard tenant-landlord policy.

As to the attempted entry, it was not a burglary, it was an attempt to come into the house, and they knew the BG somehow, and there was no real evidence to be collected unless the cops plan to charge the BG with some kind of attempted 'unlawful' entry, but I seriously doubt it as they seem focused on the students/victims not the BG. In fact there's just the word of two scofflaws against this alleged ex-felon. I'm still a bit surprised the cops sent someone out.

Allegedly it was first reported to be the campus security who took the guns, but now they're saying it was actually the cops, as 'evidence'.

On the firearms policy:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...eapons-policy/

Stay tuned.

I really wish that people that buy firearms for Self Defense would at the very least be directed to sites like this where they could get some knowledge not only about Laws,but when to shut the hell up
    Hopyard and blitzburgh like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the case is adjudicated against the two students, I would encourage them to contact the local bishop for his intervention, since the property involved is owned by the Jesuits.

If the penalty is less than expulsion from school, I would suggest they not tempt fate and try to take it further. As several have pointed out, they DID sign agreements that they would not have firearms on, or in, property owned by the university.

Catholics are real big on penance and forgiveness, so it may not be as severe as presented. (I poke fun because I were one)
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, I stand corrected Hopyard on the housing. Apparently it is off-campus but owned by the University. Still the law there that would seem to be in effect would not be a University policy, but the standard tenant-landlord policy.
    The university IS the landlord. I don't think it says no guns "except for our off-campus units." School property is school property, whether on the campus proper or not.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My understanding reading the article is it's off campus, owned by the university. By what authority does the "campus police" have the right to enter an occupied dwelling without permission for the purpose of confiscating lawful private property (the handgun & shotgun)?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    He knew the rules and IMO he wisely ignore them. However, now he has to find a new school.... get the rent a non school owned apartment.
    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

It's better to be alive and choosing a new school than dead. We have to make tough choices sometimes. I just hope the kids have enough class to man up and not whine about being expelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links