Catoosa County GA Homeowner shoots burglar

This is a discussion on Catoosa County GA Homeowner shoots burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Catoosa County teen shot, killed in burglary attempt - : News The Catoosa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a teen shot and ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By albundy
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By mnmbrewing
  • 5 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By albundy
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By oldnfat
  • 1 Post By HeadHunter
  • 1 Post By Hodad
  • 1 Post By stormbringerr

Thread: Catoosa County GA Homeowner shoots burglar

Catoosa County GA Homeowner shoots burglar

Catoosa County teen shot, killed in burglary attempt - : News

The Catoosa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the death of a teen shot and killed Monday afternoon, Nov. 11, following a burglary attempt in the Boynton area.

The death followed the homeowner opening fire on two suspected burglars, fatally wounding one with a bullet to his neck.

According to the Catoosa County Sheriff’s Office, the incident occurred in the 2500 block of Post Oak Road off Boynton Drive about 4 p.m., when a resident discovered the deceased and another teenage boy on his property attempting to break into the home.

Police say the resident fired his revolver when he spotted the pair in his back yard.

The two boys, age 16 and 17, ran from the scene and jumped into a vehicle, where an 18-year-old girl was waiting for them.

A short time latter, the trio were pulled over by deputies on Boynton Drive who discovered the 17-year-old had been shot, police say.

The boy was taken to Hutcheson hospital, where he later died from his wound.

As of now, it is unclear whether charges will be filed against the homeowner.

“There are no charges filed at this time. That’s something that would have to be filed by the district attorney’s office,” said sheriff’s Capt. Chris Lyons.

The sheriff’s office has not released the name of the deceased teen or the 16-year-old who attempted to enter the residence with him. Deputies did arrest 18-year-old Ansley Erin Chrnalogar, who was with the boys.

Chrnalogar has been charged with first-degree burglary, with bond set at $5,000.

Lyons says that the sheriff’s office is not releasing details at this time as detectives are still investigating the case.

“The case is still under investigation at this time,” Lyons said. “We’re trying to collect all the facts and when we’ve done that, we’ll present those facts to the district attorney.”
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I find it strange that the 16 year old has not been charged yet. One would hope the authorities don't let the little maggot off due to his age. He's plenty old enough to know better. He made the choice now he must live with the consequences.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

With a little luck both teens will be charged in the death of the 17yo. Does GA have laws that work that way?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Due to the vagueness of the article, I an firmly on the fence on this. Plus, I don't know GA law in regards to shooting to defend property.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Due to the vagueness of the article, I an firmly on the fence on this. Plus, I don't know GA law in regards to shooting to defend property.
    Not sure what State Law says exactly. A few years ago when I was still living there, a rash of crimes occurred resulting in vandalized boats. A Savannah did a broadcast about what was happening in the neighboring County. The Sheriff stated ..."in this County, if you go into someone's yard at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, you're liable to get shot!". After that aired, there were no more reported instances of vandalized boats in our County.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Sheriff stated ..."in this County, if you go into someone's yard at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, you're liable to get shot!".

That's absolutely true in a lot of areas, but that doesn't necessarily let the shooter off the hook. Laws can be fickle things.
    Old Sarge and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

UPDATE

WTVC NewsChannel 9 :: News - Top Stories - No Charges Filed After Homeowner Kills 17-year-old

Investigation still going on but no charges have been filed. I live here in Catoosa and don't expect any charges to be filed. This is a self defense case cut and dry. I don't think the DA wants to press charges only to lose in court. No jury in this county would convict.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

Heck, other than being there, its not clear to me that the teens did anything. I had assumed that the burglar would have been shot INSIDE the house. Not running around the back yard.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    From what I read in the update the homeowner confronted them inside the basement, When he ordered them to leave, they ran toward him instead of leaving thru the basement door they came in. If this is the way it went down the shooter may be in the clear. Other than B&E, and other thefts he was a good boy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

When no one answered the door, Sheriff Sisk said the two boys went into a basement door in the rear. He added the 69-year-old homeowner followed them and confronted them outside with his gun.

Sheriff Sisk noted, "The homeowner's statement was that the individuals were in that backroom, one of them poked his head out. He told them to get out of my house. That's when the individuals came out from there and came toward his direction."

Georgia's "stand your ground" law allows deadly force, and has no duty to retreat, if one feels imminently threatened. In yesterday's case, investigators say neither teenager was armed.But Youngblood told law enforcement the boys were running toward him and he felt threatened.
    Our laws in "defense of habitation" are fairly strong.

http://bit.ly/172tjpW
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Details are a little sketchy to come to a conclusion about what may happen in this case.

Obviously the kids were up to no good.

The question may come down to whether the cops buy the homeowner's story about feeling threatened.

Hope he is able to prove it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

when you invade someones home ,you roll the dice ,win or death. at least thats the way it is in Texas
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Links