Rifle Range - Read before watching clip

This is a discussion on Rifle Range - Read before watching clip within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150123958658418 "Turn your sound up..........so you can hear the bullet head back. This guy is shooting a 50 cal rifle. Watch the dust when he ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kennydale
  • 1 Post By EdJean
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By TDH1961

Thread: Rifle Range - Read before watching clip

VIP Member

Rifle Range - Read before watching clip

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150123958658418

"Turn your sound up..........so you can hear the bullet head back. This guy is shooting a 50 cal rifle. Watch the dust when he fires. The target is a steel plate, 1000 yards away. You can hear the ping of the hit and then hear the bullet coming back. It hits the ground just in front of him, then bounces up, hits the Earmuffs, knocking them fr"om his head. The footage is amazing. You can hear the bullet as it tumbles Through the air on its course back toward the shooter. He's lucky it Hit the dirt first. He is okay and obviously very lucky."
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Wow. I've shot at steel plates to 800 yards with my .30-06 and 7mm Rem. Mag. but never had something like that happen. Never did it with a .50 either. Biggest I've fired is a .338 Lapua.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

WOW Someone upstairs likes him!

I LOVE this video !
    jbum likes this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

That one's been around for a bit... some question as to its authenticity. I'll accept it as real, but I sure would like to see what the bullet hit first.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would never try that again so I could always be 100% at 1000 yds.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Why is the report of the .50 so much quieter than the "whine" of the returning bullet? I would expect a rolling echo from such a loud gun. But the sound of bullet returning seems so much louder than the boom of the .50. Sound editing?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

1000 yards is over 1/2 a mile. That target is 100 yards away. Probably just a typo in the facebook description.

The .50 cal Ricochet to the head video | MadOgre.com
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Same thing happened to me only with a 22lr out of six shot Colt Frontier Scout while Raccoon hunting as a kid. We were on a cliff next to the tree so I was shooting about level instead of up.

Lights showed me a shape on the limb. I apparently hit low and the bullet struck a knot on the limb came almost straight back and struck me in the center of the chest.

Even the 22 had enough left on it to go thru my carhart jacket my shirt t shirt into the skin and stop against my breast bone. Range was much much shorter and the impact to me wasnt much at all. But boy that hot little bullet burn!! After a little bit of moving around and little picking at it the bullet fell back out of the hole in skin.
    Never had anything like that happen to me before or since.
    BenGoodLuck and msgt/ret like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That one's been around for a bit... some question as to its authenticity. I'll accept it as real, but I sure would like to see what the bullet hit first.

That's what I was thinking

I think my first words would have been I think I shipped my pants.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

And this is why you have to be really careful with steel. That target was way to close for that caliber weapon.

Links