Since we like warning shots now...

This is a discussion on Since we like warning shots now... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At least, in the south (does Arkansas count as south?)... Here's a store owner who fired a warning shot, and that caused two armed robbers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Since we like warning shots now...

Since we like warning shots now...

At least, in the south (does Arkansas count as south?)...

Here's a store owner who fired a warning shot, and that caused two armed robbers (one of which had two pistols aimed at another clerk in the store) to flee....

Story here: Store Owner Uses Gun to Chase Away Would-Be Armed Robbers - ArkansasMatters.com - Central Arkansas' Source for News, Weather, and Sports covering Little Rock, North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Searcy, Hot Springs, and the rest of Central Arkansas

I still don't care for warning shots, and what if the perp (the wannabe two gun kid) had been startled enough to fire at the clerk?

The end justifies the means, I guess.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

Well, I'm glad it worked out for them but I'm by no means a fan of warning shots in general.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The odds are these dirtbags had airsofts for shock purposes and didn't want to face a real gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    why take the risk? if the prep had guns pointed at the clerk, i would have just shot the prep.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I hate preps too. Always prancing around being preppy. Kidding
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I would fire a warning shot. But the person being warned would, unfortunately, never hear it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I also fire warning shots but they all hit the target, Dam gun!

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Crap! My warning shot went astray and hit the perp center mass. Dang. I hate when that happens.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's only a warning shot if it misses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Sorry but I agree with the store owner. Had he shot the perp, it would likely have caused the clerk to be shot. When a person is shot, they usually tense up their muscles in a reaction. This could have caused the gun being held on the clerk to discharge.

I have seen (after the fact) where a person hit tightened their grip on their gun and it discharged. Often times, a person is firing their gun as they fall. One police officer I know was shot by a perp during a shootout. The officer put three rounds into the ground where he fell. He survived the shooting.

Then there is the macho factor. How often have you heard someone say that if they were going down, they were taking someone else with them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Sorry but I agree with the store owner. Had he shot the perp, it would likely have caused the clerk to be shot. When a person is shot, they usually tense up their muscles in a reaction. This could have caused the gun being held on the clerk to discharge.

I have seen (after the fact) where a person hit tightened their grip on their gun and it discharged. Often times, a person is firing their gun as they fall. One police officer I know was shot by a perp during a shootout. The officer put three rounds into the ground where he fell. He survived the shooting.

Then there is the macho factor. How often have you heard someone say that if they were going down, they were taking someone else with them.
    This has long been my stance... But the warning shot could have had the same effect as shooting the perp.

My feeling is that you should try to get the perp and his gun(s) off of the target (clerk, whoever) and coming on to you.... As he turns, shoot... A lot!

It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    This has long been my stance... But the warning shot could have had the same effect as shooting the perp.

My feeling is that you should try to get the perp and his gun(s) off of the target (clerk, whoever) and coming on to you.... As he turns, shoot... A lot!

I am not in favor of a warning shot. PERIOD. Causing a distraction works wonders toward getting a gun to be pointed in a different direction. Shouting, knocking something over or even coughing while behind cover are tactics that have been used successfully.

You are 1000% correct in that a warning shot can get someone shot, and often does.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I'm all for warning shots, so long as it is obvious the risk to being turned on in the moments afterward are about nil, and so long as the risk of striking someone over yonder is nil. Trouble is, you'll never know. In the time you're screwing around failing to strike the assailant, you yourself could get shot dead.

To me, it just isn't worth it. The situation is either deadly or it isn't. If it is, then by all means end it. No assurance of ending a thing, by firing into the air or ground, whereas firing into the assailant holds a far greater degree of likelihood of erasing the threat. My quarter's on the more-effective option. But that's just me.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 15th, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Sheepdogbubba likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Good one

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links