Not a total success story

This is a discussion on Not a total success story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unfortunately the BG was shot after he murdered a college student. He was still shot by a citizen and subsequently captured. -Scott- http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...willcox22.html Texas kidnap ...

Thread: Not a total success story

VIP Member

Not a total success story

Unfortunately the BG was shot after he murdered a college student. He was still shot by a citizen and subsequently captured.

-Scott-

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...willcox22.html

Texas kidnap suspect nabbed in Arizona
    Wounded in Bowie, checks into hospital

Susan Carroll
    Republic Tucson Bureau
    Jan. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

BOWIE - It was before sunrise, before the young woman's body was discovered off a Texas highway, and Richie Chapman didn't suspect a thing as he sat behind the counter in a run-down RV park's general store.

The clerk looked up from his bookkeeping at 5:45 a.m. Friday just as a young man came in looking "calm as can be."

Chapman didn't know police were looking for Johnny Lee Williams in the kidnapping of a 19-year-old Texas college student, captured on a Wal-Martsecurity camera and reported in the national news. advertisement

"We're out here in the middle of nowhere. We have travelers from all over the world come in," Chapman said of the small store in Bowie, a town of 1,500 in vast ranch and farmland in southeastern Arizona. "There was nothing amiss about (Williams), nothing out of place - until he said it was a robbery and started pulling out a gun.

"As I saw the gun coming up, I drew mine, and I fired," said Chapman, 60, a burly retired New York firefighter.

Chapman's reaction might have helped police catch Williams. The suspect initially fled the small town, but authorities caught up with him later when he checked himself in to a Cochise County hospital for a gunshot wound to the shoulder.

Police arrested Williams in the kidnapping and murder of Megan Leann Holden, who was abducted from a Wal-Mart parking lot just after midnight two days earlier. In western Texas, a sheriff's deputy found her body at 8:43 a.m. Friday on the side of Interstate 20. Officials said she died of an apparent gunshot wound.

It was only a few hours later that authorities discovered Williams had driven Holden's truck to the Arizona hospital.

Williams was arrested and booked into Cochise County Jail on one count of aggravated kidnapping, said Don Martin, a Tyler (Texas) Police Department spokesman.

Martin said investigators plan to seek capital murder charges against Williams. He is being held on $1 million bond.

The investigation into Holden's disappearance started Thursday morning when her sister realized she hadn't come home from work, Martin said. Holden's mother filed a missing-persons report Thursday.

Holden, a Wal-Mart employee, clocked out after a late shift at 11:43 p.m. Wednesday night. When police reviewed the Wal-Mart security cameras, the footage showed the abductor loitering outside the store for about 1 1/2 hours before Holden was taken. The tapes show Holden walking toward her truck just after midnight.

"Before she knew what was happening, he pushed her into the vehicle and got in as well," Martin said.

Police put out a regional alert for the vehicle after viewing the footage. Authorities said Williams headed west and ended up in the small general store in Bowie.

Chapman, wearing red suspenders, complained about the media attention to regular customers.

One woman, digging in the ice-cream freezer where the ammunition is stored, said "Hey, Richie, do you have any bullets?"

"I guess you haven't been watching the news," he said, with a chuckle. "I used some today. I gotta buy more. Seriously."

The Associated Press contributed to this article

2. Remove Ads

I heard the camera footage is really distrubing. I hope women learn from it. Really sad story of a young life snuffed out way to early.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Sad at least the guy was caught

Too bad it had to happen in my state.

Links