Concealed Carry Holder Does the Right Thing saves lives, stops robbery

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Holder Does the Right Thing saves lives, stops robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think the headline is a misnomer. No one actually appeared threatened and the guy opens fire as the robber was leaving. Concealed Carry Holder ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Holder Does the Right Thing saves lives, stops robbery

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I think the headline is a misnomer. No one actually appeared threatened and the guy opens fire as the robber was leaving.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

The minute BG is pointing a gun at the clerk someone is seriously threatened. Along with the the host of other folks standing in range and the others he pointed his gun at.

Had he shot anyone up to the point the CC carrier fired? No. Would he have turned and popped off a few rounds when reached the door had he not been fired on??

Who knows??? Armed BG is a threat to everyone in range as long as he is present and armed. Saw this before, no charges on the cc carrier so no misnomer that I can see.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

No one actually appeared threatened
    Sorry, but I beg to differ. At the least everybody in view of the camera was threatened by the armed BG who was waving his gun around. Especially the clerk.

Some BG's take the money and leave. Some take the money and for seemingly no reason take a life too before fleeing. Some pop off random shots on their way out the door. Thing is, none of us know which BG will do what until, well, he does it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I don't imagine the CC will be charged. But the caption probably should read, "CC Does the Wrong Thing, Saves Lives Anyway."

BUT from what I saw on the vid the robber was no longer actually threatening anyone when the CC engaged. It looked like he was ready to engage and shoot the robber in the back while he was still pointing a gun at customers (I'm OK with that) but that he held fire, possibly due to bystanders out of camera and didn't engage until the robber was technically fleeing.

I probably wouldn't have handled it that way myself. I probably would have remained ready to engage, but to monitor the situation and instead of giving chase would have taken a defensive cover position to protect myself and not fired unless he returned, or turned around and presented a threat.

Too much chance of a well meaning jury being forced to follow the letter of the law and hang the good Samaritan.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    I don't imagine the CC will be charged. But the caption probably should read, "CC Does the Wrong Thing, Saves Lives Anyway."

BUT from what I saw on the vid the robber was no longer actually threatening anyone when the CC engaged. It looked like he was ready to engage and shoot the robber in the back while he was still pointing a gun at customers (I'm OK with that) but that he held fire, possibly due to bystanders out of camera and didn't engage until the robber was technically fleeing.

I probably wouldn't have handled it that way myself. I probably would have remained ready to engage, but to monitor the situation and instead of giving chase would have taken a defensive cover position to protect myself and not fired unless he returned, or turned around and presented a threat.

Too much chance of a well meaning jury being forced to follow the letter of the law and hang the good Samaritan.
    That was from some time ago. I remember seeing a different video of that same robbery that had a couple of more camera angles in it. If you rewatch it the carrier positions himself by a shelf but cant fire because of the large man with his hands up standing between him and the BG and clerk.

In the other video I saw and its been so long I cant provide a link to it the CC carrier moves forward as BG turns toward the door but is still behind the turnstile you see stop him in this one. In the other video its hard to see but the BG appears to see the CC guy and swing his gun to point at him as BG makes for the door and CC guy fires.
    If you look really close in this one you can sort of catch the end of BGs pistol pointing at CC guy for an instant.

At any rate in my state and a lot of others you are legal to use lethal force to stop a felony armed or strong arm robbery. If there were going to be charges on this guy it would have been done long ago. This is not a real recent occurance.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Sorry, but I beg to differ. At the least everybody in view of the camera was threatened by the armed BG who was waving his gun around. Especially the clerk.

Some BG's take the money and leave. Some take the money and for seemingly no reason take a life too before fleeing. Some pop off random shots on their way out the door. Thing is, none of us know which BG will do what until, well, he does it.

This has been done. Merely turning away or heading in the direction where a door happens to be doesn't mean it's over. Not until it's over.

IMO, chasing down a fleeing felon would be something else. But while the violent felon's still in the same room with the same ability to inflict death, it's not hard to put oneself in the shoes of the folks right there at practically "bad breath" distances from the idiot. No way to tell what he's capable of, while just yards away ... no matter what direction he happens to be facing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I think the headline is a misnomer. No one actually appeared threatened and the guy opens fire as the robber was leaving.

The armed citizen fired on an armed fleeing violent felon. He did fine, from what I could see in the video.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Coming in or going out, I don't give a rat's butt for the BG.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If someone points a gun at you, or your wife, would you consider yourselves threatened? Id lay odds that you would. I would.

The BG sweeping the room, and hearding people with his gun was plenty enough in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.

Code Duello is not in effect if the bad guy wants a fair fight, he can rob one of his bad guy buds. Maybe they will want to fight fair, but I don't think so!
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Isn't this the case of the first CC'er using his weapon in Milwaukee? I don't believe he was charged if I recall correctly.

I probably would not have shot, but I wasn't there, and there could be other facts of which we are not aware.

Who am I to say he was not in fear for his life or the lives of others? I wasn't there, and the thief could have simply turned and popped a few rounds "for kicks."
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I don't have a problem with the result....however in my state it wouldn't be a wise move. You just don't shoot in the back in Iowa, period.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    I don't have a problem with the result....however in my state it wouldn't be a wise move. You just don't shoot in the back in Iowa, period.
    If I have a reasonable belief that my life is in danger, I will not wait for the thief to turn and face me before I shoot.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    Depends on where you are in Louisiana . Doing it to one of the Landrieu voters in Orleans, problem. Doing the same thing in Alexandria, not so much.
    oldman45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    If I have a reasonable belief that my life is in danger, I will not wait for the thief to turn and face me before I shoot.
    I might not either, with the understanding I'll probably be spending some time in jail because of our laws. It would depend on the situation. This guy looked like he was on his way out and running away though, and unless he turned to re-enter, Iowa law would have been very unfriendly to the shooter. There hasn't been a test case around here to find out (thankfully). The legislature is going to revisit Iowa gun laws this year, hopefully we'll see improvements, especially with a push for stand your ground.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links