Ugly: Nashville police investigate claim of self-defense in downtown bar slaying

Ugly: Nashville police investigate claim of self-defense in downtown bar slaying

This is a discussion on Ugly: Nashville police investigate claim of self-defense in downtown bar slaying within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn't know Wayne very well, but met him at music industry events once or twice. We had several mutual friends who knew him very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Ugly: Nashville police investigate claim of self-defense in downtown bar slaying

I didn't know Wayne very well, but met him at music industry events once or twice. We had several mutual friends who knew him very well. He was rough, but he was the kind of guy who let stray cats into his house on cold nights. The guy had a big heart and it's hard to believe he would do anything to warrant being shot. I don't think this story is going to end well.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    I didn't know Wayne very well, but met him at music industry events once or twice. We had several mutual friends who knew him very well. He was rough, but he was the kind of guy who let stray cats into his house on cold nights. The guy had a big heart and it's hard to believe he would do anything to warrant being shot. I don't think this story is going to end well.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
    Well, when people are intoxicated they do all sorts of things they would never do.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Thanks for the reminder. I had heard a bit about this on the radio while on the way back from the beach this morning and wanted to look into it more when I got home but completely forgot about it til now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

From what little I read, they were arguing for a while before the shooting.

You cannot be part of the escalation of a self-defense shooting. You have a responsibility to de-escalate as much as you can and not do anything that can be reasonable expected to escalate. From what I've read so far, it seems they both were long escalating a situation. That would mean the guy is gonna do some serious time.

But, I admit that the sources so far are weak, so for all I know the so called "argument" was the defender simply trying to get away and/or calm the other guy down. It doesn't seem that way at first glance, but I'll admit it as possibility.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Right now, there's not a whole of details out about what happened. All I keep seeing is "an argument over smoking in the bar" - so yeah, that sure doesn't tell much about what happened at all. I'll have to wait until more details come out before I comment further. In the meantime, I'll be saying a prayer for his wife and young son that he left behind.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Well, when people are intoxicated they do all sorts of things they would never do.
    True. I also keep thinking of the old saying, "nothing good happens after 2 AM." We'll have to wait for the medical examiner, and investigating officer's reports. The guy who shot him isn't exactly a pillar of the community though.
    StormRhydr and mano3 like this.

My old football coach always used to say "nothing good ever happens after midnight" - Damn, he robbed us of an extra two hours...
    mano3 and FreeFalling like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    My old football coach always used to say "nothing good ever happens after midnight" - Damn, he robbed us of an extra two hours...
    LOL! I believe you've got the quote correct. After a few years of playing in local bars I think it shifted to 2 AM in my mind ;-). Always seemed like the trouble started at last call.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Attitude, alcohol and guns never make a good combination. I'm sorry for the family who lost a loved one.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    LOL! I believe you've got the quote correct. After a few years of playing in local bars I think it shifted to 2 AM in my mind ;-). Always seemed like the trouble started at last call.
    I've noticed the same thing. The majority of trouble I've seen in bars has been between midnight and 2AM.

VIP Member
    Another version of the story.

Country singer Wayne Mills dies after bar shooting - TODAY.com

Proof again, alcohol and 5 AM not being conducive to good health and a long life.
    mano3 and FreeFalling like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow, I just watched the episode of Spikes "Bar Rescue" that was about this bar and it's owner (The shooter). He didn't come across as the type of guy I would trust with a CPL...

-Rob

I gotta say that the way you approach a situation has a lot to do with the outcome,the fact he shot the guy in the head doesn't look good,it sounds more like an execution and not self defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We'll probably never know the full story. What we do know is that someone is dead for a trivial issue.
    This reminds me of the need to de-escalate issues that come up. Doesn't matter if you are right or wrong if you are dead.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

It seems to me that if you own a bar, that you should be willing to deal with mean drunks. And I dont mean by simply shooting them.

Did I miss the part about the victim being armed? Or the shooter being injured? So far all I picked up was that there was an argument about smoking, and the smoker got shot in the head.

Which, I think we can all agree, is a bit harsh for a smoking violation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links