Attacked while on fishing trip

This is a discussion on Attacked while on fishing trip within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Glad no one was seriously injured........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Attacked while on fishing trip

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Glad no one was seriously injured.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    BTW, I was struck in the eye with a rock when I was around 7 or 8...
    It busted my glasses and gave me an orbital fracture.....
    I still occasionally pick out small shards of glass that surface....
    Rocks hurt!
    At the time, I was more concerned about getting in trouble over the glasses...LOL
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Welcome from another central Floridian!

Yes, I can remember when you never needed to worry around the water but those days are gone I fear. Hope your friend got a permit as well!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Good thing CCW is off limits at all the lakes near my house. They are all controlled by the Corps of Engineers.

Sure makes me feel safe on the water...

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    Glad to hear you are safe.

You should just chalk it up to kids being kids. Next time let them beat the crap out of you! :)

Ahhh the (lack of) parenting is great these days.
    I must respectfully disagree.

The most dangerous animal is a teenage boy. Put 'em in a group of 10 and you've got a good chance of getting your brains stomped out.
    The Marshmallowist

Glad to hear everyone is OK
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Similar thing happened to me.

About 10 years ago in Wisconsin. Was night fishing with my brother-in-law anchored near a railroad trestle. A couple of punks started throwing rocks at our boat from on top of the trestle. Not marble sized rocks either; from the sound of them hitting the water, they were fist-size to baseball-size. It took us a minute or so to hightail it out of there. A minute is a loooong time when you're being attacked. We had to raise the anchor, start the boat, etc.

That was a very eerie feeling. It was dark so we couldn't see the rocks coming to duck if necessary and the more they threw, the closer they kept getting as they got "sighted-in". By the time we got out of there, some were hitting within 5 feet or less of the boat.

I've had a couple other scary incidents in my life but this is the only one in which I truly feared for my life and could have, and probably would have fired had I been armed. I didn't carry back then and did I mention it was Wisconsin?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
    I must respectfully disagree.

The most dangerous animal is a teenage boy. Put 'em in a group of 10 and you've got a good chance of getting your brains stomped out.
    You disagree? I was being sarcastic, hence the sentence, let them beat the crap out of you...

Most would say "oh kids, let them be kids". That is BS!

You don't need them in a group of 10 or more. Hell one 16 year old raped a person here in front of her two children Ohio in a public park during daylight. PEOPLE are dangerous whether they are 9 or 90. I don't discriminate (age, race, sex, handicap, etc.) when it comes to not trusting people.

Anyways, good luck.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Glad you are both OK

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    You could've been in serious trouble if they would've called the police.

Lucky for both of you no one was seriously injured, and you didn't have to fire at any of them.

Congrats on the CC permit!
    Have to watch out for the lawyers these days too. I can see ‘their side of the story’ had you fired upon them.

“Hey, we were minding our own business, this guy yells at us when all we did was walk by his van. He pulls a gun and opens up on us poor innocent kids. So we threw a rock at them and ran to save our lives. We want a million each.”

Without a CC permit you would have been portrayed as the “wild gun totin’ wacko just itchin’ to shoot up the place for no reason.” You would have been arrested instead of the thieving mob. Glad you have your cc permit.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    glad that both are ok. carry it with you at all time. florida is not what it use to be, now you need your gun at all times.
    Brother you said it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    I agree with CCW9MM. It is not likely that the kids would have called 911, either, after throwing a rock and hitting someone's head.

Out of curiosity what year did this occur?

Does anyone know what would have happened if he didn't have a CCW license and police witnessed this? I think I do.
    Actually in Fl you are within the law to carry with fishing without CWP, And open carry is even legal while fishing , hunting or camping . Most are unaware as most LEO is unaware , But if you read FL statute 790.25 i think it is subsection H you will see that the prohibitions of 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply under quite a few circumstances .

As i said , Most LEO is unaware , And i would not want to be in "test case" position , But there should be an arguable defense .

I am not a lawyer , Or do i wish to ever be one . Please look it up for yourself
    Last edited by speedlinehobbies; December 25th, 2006 at 08:22 PM.
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    One would hope that the arguable defense would not have to come after you or your friend received injury at the hands of a “gang of playful and misunderstood youths” as the lawyers would describe them. Glad that all came out well for you.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    Odds are that if they somehow found the guts to return, it was probably because they came back with a gun of their own!

Glad you and your friend got out of there when you did.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I had a simular problem a few years ago. A friend was hurt when a group of young men attacked us by hitting my friend in the head with a rock. They may be younger and not have any common sense but that is the most dangerous kind. Thank God all I had to do was show a gun to break it up. thank God I did not have to shoot .I did not have a ccw at the time. I'am glad it worker out for you and no one got hurt Now when i go fishing I always carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links