Bar Shooting Involving Concealed Carry Person

This is a discussion on Bar Shooting Involving Concealed Carry Person within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened in my hometown of Huntington, WV near to Marshall University. We have had other high profile shootings in places like this and it's ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 2 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 5 Post By airslot
  • 3 Post By tdave
  • 4 Post By Bassindude
  • 2 Post By Chad0724
  • 2 Post By Rocky5000100
  • 2 Post By RoadKill
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 3 Post By BugDude

Thread: Bar Shooting Involving Concealed Carry Person

This happened in my hometown of Huntington, WV near to Marshall University. We have had other high profile shootings in places like this and it's sad.

The good note is that the bad guy shooting has had his shooting career cut short, he's dead.

Story link below.

One Dead, Three Wounded in Shooting at Huntington Bar
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Good guy with gun stops idiot with gun.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

When you have a losing hand upping the ante is not a sound strategy.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and JoJoGunn like this.

I know in most places there are laws about having a gun in a place that sells alcohol or gets more than 51% of income from alcohol. Id assume that that does not apply to employees? Lets hope not. Id hate to see another good guy taken down because of a stupid law. Jim
    84160, rockinit, JoJoGunn and 1 others like this.
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

yay! one more win for the good guys
    gatorbait51 and JoJoGunn like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Bassindude View Post
    I know in most places there are laws about having a gun in a place that sells alcohol or gets more than 51% of income from alcohol. Id assume that that does not apply to employees? Lets hope not. Id hate to see another good guy taken down because of a stupid law. Jim
    Luckily here in Wisconsin, you can carry in places that sell alcohol as long as you aren't consuming alcohol.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Same in Tennessee
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by Bassindude View Post
    It is possible, but there were a couple of cases in recent years where the situation of the "bar shooting" was different and the outcome was also.

We had a shooting and the HPD came after being called. One officer was in the alley behind the bar when a guy came out, gun in hand. Officer ordered him to drop the gun and he refused. Officer shot and killed the guy. Turns out, this guy was in the bar and when the gunfight broke out, he was exiting through the rear. Not to be "racist" but he was black, officer was white. The family of the dead guy sued HPD for the wrongful death and due to the race of the individuals involved. The Officer was found to be not guilty because of the circumstances surrounding the incident. Police did not know all the players involved and had to assume this guy was one of them.

Second incident recently and surprisingly two men got into an "altercation" in the bar. One guy left and the other apparently followed him outside. The first guy retrieved a gun from his vehicle, shot & killed the other guy in front of the now dead guy's girlfriend who had walked out with him. The shooter claimed self defense, the dead guy was unarmed.

Shooter was found not guilty on all counts. Really surprised me, I thought the shooter was toast, but the jury didn't see it that way.

I don't know about this one, it seems like we have had more than our fair share of bar shootings. That's why I usually steer way clear of them in this area.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    It is possible, but there were a couple of cases in recent years where the situation of the "bar shooting" was different and the outcome was also.

We had a shooting and the HPD came after being called. One officer was in the alley behind the bar when a guy came out, gun in hand. Officer ordered him to drop the gun and he refused. Officer shot and killed the guy. Turns out, this guy was in the bar and when the gunfight broke out, he was exiting through the rear. Not to be "racist" but he was black, officer was white. The family of the dead guy sued HPD for the wrongful death and due to the race of the individuals involved. The Officer was found to be not guilty because of the circumstances surrounding the incident. Police did not know all the players involved and had to assume this guy was one of them.

Second incident recently and surprisingly two men got into an "altercation" in the bar. One guy left and the other apparently followed him outside. The first guy retrieved a gun from his vehicle, shot & killed the other guy in front of the now dead guy's girlfriend who had walked out with him. The shooter claimed self defense, the dead guy was unarmed.

Shooter was found not guilty on all counts. Really surprised me, I thought the shooter was toast, but the jury didn't see it that way.

I don't know about this one, it seems like we have had more than our fair share of bar shootings. That's why I usually steer way clear of them in this area.
    The guy followed him out. Intent .

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Didn't many saloons in the Old West start taking guns at the door? Or is that just a cowboy myth?

But that was when virtually everyone with a gun wore it exposed on their hip. I guess a few derringers and other "pocket" guns slipped thru, but I suppose it was pretty hard to effectively CC a Colt Navy or other full sized revolver.

In any event I think the bar keep usually had a sawed off behind the counter in case things got out of hand.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Hey, here is a perfect example of a mass shooting that was stopped by a concealed carrier.

I've had many anti's say, "Give me one example of a mass shooting that was stopped by a concealed carrier." Well, typically, the answer is going to be, "If it was stopped, then how do you know it would have been a mass shooting?" Well, in this case he shot 3 and then was stopped by a concealed carrier. The closest thing I've seen yet to an example to point to when asked by an anti.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Hey, here is a perfect example of a mass shooting that was stopped by a concealed carrier.

I've had many anti's say, "Give me one example of a mass shooting that was stopped by a concealed carrier." Well, typically, the answer is going to be, "If it was stopped, then how do you know it would have been a mass shooting?" Well, in this case he shot 3 and then was stopped by a concealed carrier. The closest thing I've seen yet to an example to point to when asked by an anti.
    Excellent analogy Bug, but will fall on deaf Anti ears for sure. They don't want any firearms at all. They feel that once firearms are not allowed for anyone, the gun violence will magically disappear. Very much like the mentality of Prohibition of bygone years. Stop all the production, sales and consumption of alcohol and guess what, all the bad stuff associated with it goes away. We see how well that worked.

If they really want to stop gun violence, they need to focus on why the violent offenders do what they do and try to stop them. Leave the law-abiding ones alone, we are not the problem at all.

Links