Like a Good Neighbour, Armed Guy is There!

This is a discussion on Like a Good Neighbour, Armed Guy is There! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A good neighbor thwarted a burglary by catching them and shooting one of the perps after the homeowner was alerted by an alarm and called ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Like a Good Neighbour, Armed Guy is There!

Thumbs up Like a Good Neighbour, Armed Guy is There!

A good neighbor thwarted a burglary by catching them and shooting one of the perps after the homeowner was alerted by an alarm and called the neighbor to investigate.

This neighbor deserves a hearty thank you and maybe some ammo to replace what he used to stop the crime.

Neighbor Stops Home Invaders by Shooting One and Holding Other at Gunpoint
    ArmyCop and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I am torn about this - if nobody was home, wait for the police. Why on earth go "defend" an empty house?

On the other hand, I can see how one might help out a neighbor. False alarms happen, and maybe there was a history for that house.
    Exacto likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array vice87's Avatar
    well i suppose if he goes to investigate and orders the perps to stop and one pulls a weapon, he can defend himself thus halting the robbery in the process and proceeding with his citizens arrest. ?? otherwise i'm wondering how the shooting is justified defending a neighbors property. i dunno.
    the whole world is three drinks behind.

This could go wrong in many ways. Most alarms are monitored and police could have already been dispatched. An arriving officer notices a MWG holding two at gunpoint.

By all means, inspect for the neighbor, but at the first sign of foul play, retreat and be a good witness. I've been in my neighbor's homes... there's nothing worth dying for in there.
    PEF, vice87, Jeanlouise and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDglassman View Post
    This could go wrong in many ways. Most alarms are monitored and police could have already been dispatched. An arriving officer notices a MWG holding two at gunpoint.

By all means, inspect for the neighbor, but at the first sign of foul play, retreat and be a good witness. I've been in my neighbor's homes... there's nothing worth dying for in there.
    Bingo. Even in my own house, if there is an invasion and my family and I are safe in a room, I'm content to wait for the police. If the thieves try to come in the room, I'm shooting, otherwise, I'm avoiding conflict.
    vice87, Jeanlouise, Hodad and 2 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Wait-wait! Was the neighbor a "loved one"? Aren't you supposed to only protect yourself and loved ones? You mean he wasn't charged with felony assault? Brandishing? The cops arrested the BGs instead of the armed neighbor? No?

Oh my. So many will be disappointed. Kudos to the protective neighbor. I'd buy him a steak or two.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I get it...better be safe than sorry for an empty house...wait for the cops and all. But I like, OldVet, am shocked and stoked that the neighbor was not charged but instead let go and the BG got nabbed. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I am torn about this - if nobody was home, wait for the police. Why on earth go "defend" an empty house?
    Why go defend an intruded-upon home, you mean?

Shouldn't really matter whether there were goods inside the building, or anyone occupying it, or anyone home at the time. Not that I'd recommend everyone donning the "Captain America" cape and jumping into the fray, but when it's clearly evident there are crimes going on I can see why someone might opt to get involved.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Neighbor could easily intended to just see if police needed calling and wound up confronting bad guys instead. Neighbor had a right to be there and was prepared - his choice. Whether BG's had a traditional weapon or not, disparity of force comes into play. Kudos to the neighbor. I went to uncle's house to feed dogs while aunt was out of town and he armed the alarm system. I had to go next door to call him as the phone system was taken over by the alarm system. I shut it down, fed the dogs, played with them, and had my dinner interrupted by a deputy 45 min later. This was a high end home with 2x6 studs and you could barely hear the alarm outside. All the alarm did was give them a false sense of security.

VIP Member
    What a coincidence. my neighbor across the street just told me he was going to be gone for Christmas and would I please watch the house for him. I asked if anyone might drop by and he said only his mother to feed the dog and she drives a white jeep I said you are sure? no one else? My daughter and son in law live next door to him so we are all going to keep an eye on things for him. He does not have an alarm system.

Now if I see someone around his house I would just yell at them. If I see someone in his house I call 911. If I'm not sure I might go investigate. I mean is seems silly to call 911 without being pretty darn sure something criminal is going down. If I go investigate I will be armed. If home my son in law will be with me. If we see someone has broken in we retreat and call 911. If the BG sees and confronts me - I'm in Zimmerland. If I see a weapon I will shoot. Darn the torpedoes but if I can retreat to my place I will. But you can see the gray area.

Gives one something to think about. Nice to run through this in our minds now so we don't have to do so in crisis.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Our law says to protect your life, property or the life of others if the threat is not caused by one's own doing, but the neighbor's boy skateboard...mmm I don't know.

Not sure if I'd intervene in that kind of situation other than calling 911, but the outcome was good nonetheless.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Why go defend an intruded-upon home, you mean?

Shouldn't really matter whether there were goods inside the building, or anyone occupying it, or anyone home at the time. Not that I'd recommend everyone donning the "Captain America" cape and jumping into the fray, but when it's clearly evident there are crimes going on I can see why someone might opt to get involved.
    I would like to know more facts. If the neighbor carried normally, and just went to "check things out," and lo and behold, a couple of bad guys were there and threatened him, that's one thing.

But, on the other hand, if there was evidence of the break-in, and he decided to arm himself and then go check the house, then that was fool hardy, in my opinion. If nobody is in the house but the thieves, then nobody is going to get hurt. Wait for the police. Think about it - what a waste if he had been killed - "Sorry kids, Daddy got killed when he went over, alone and without backup, to confront an unknown number of thieves in our neighbors house."

I'm not saying what he did was wrong. I don't know all the circumstances. Regardless, I don't think he should be charged with any crime.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Senior Moderator
    Given that the population of Man, WV is listed as 759 in the 2010 census, and the story locates the event as "just outside of Man," I get the impression that this is "slightly" rural area, and "911" response - IF 911 even works in that area - might not be prompt enough to be useful. Risky? Perhaps, but the self-sufficiency quotient tends to run high in areas like that. Maybe nobody ever told them they're supposed to call the cops. CNN and MSNBC and Piers Morgan probably don't have good market penetration there, either.

Clearly, we don't have much in the way of unshakeable facts. Let's hold off on the coulda/shoulda/woulda speculation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm not sure of the laws in VA but here in TX you can defend someone else's property. That's if you had the right to be there.
    Last edited by seanth468; December 22nd, 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links