Intruders pay price for home invasion

This is a discussion on Intruders pay price for home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes Just a minor observation: Megan is 19, not old enough to own a handgun in most circumstances. Colin's age is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intruders pay price for home invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Just a minor observation:
    Megan is 19, not old enough to own a handgun in most circumstances.
    Colin's age is not mentioned.
    Actually, both are 19 according to the article. I wonder if any charges will come from the age perspective. Hope not, as they were rightfully defending themselves by whatever means possible.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Well done girl!

The girl did an uncommonly good job of keeping her head and doing the right thing. Not sure who trained her, or when, but she knew enough, and had the presence of mind and composure, to find and fire the 9mm pistol effectively to stop the attack in the face of great danger. Confronted an armed robber (with two guns if the story is correct) in a hallway and took effective action to stop him, then went on to the next robber and took action what action she could to protect her boyfriend from death or grave bodily injury.

I'm impressed! That definitely deserves a "well done".

Fitch

Ron
    I don't know about Ohio, but if the "Castle Doctrine" applied, as it does in Florida, then in a home invassion, as occured in this case, I believe that there would be a legal presumption that the homeowner was in fear of her life, and thus the use of deadly force legally justified. She would also be immune from a civil suit for damages. Glad that I live in Florida.

Ron

Its a good thing that this did not happen here in the PRK(Peoples Republic of Kalifornia). Here both 19 yr old would be in jail, on charges of being in possession of a handgun under the age of 21. And for protecting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I want to know why such an incident has to go before a grand jury at all!

I don't know what's involved in a grand jury hearing. Does the girlfriend have to spring for a lawyer to represent her? Is she even supposed to be represented at the grand jury hearing, or is it all one-sided there?
    When the Grand Jury refuses to indict, it brings in the 5th Amendment Double Jeopardy protection.

She won't have to appear (in some states, she CAN'T appear before the Grand Jury) and won't need a lawyer. It is one sided, but it is mainly for the prosecution to present his evidence to see if he has enough probable cause to bring charges. If he does, the Grand Jury indicts and she is arrested and taken to trial, etc. If he does not, or if the Grand Jury feels it is justified, they will not indict, and she is free from worry. The Grand Jury pretty much follows what the prosecutor recommends, for example, justified, unjustified, indict, don't indict, etc.

In TN, if I am ever involved in a shooting, I would want it to be presented to the Grand Jury, since when they find the shooting justified, it immunizes me from civil liability.

(However, I am not a lawyer.)
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Ron
    If you live in a state that has not yet adopted Florida's version of the "Castle Doctrine" it is well worth the effort and fight to try to get your state legislature to do so. In a home invasion or occupied car jacking attempt, it provides significant protection against arrest, confiscation of weapon, indictment, and, as previously stated, immunity from civil suit where deadly force is used.

Ron

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The best part of the article is that she grazed the boyfriend! Maybe that'll make him think twice about opening doors to strangers! That chicj had cojones!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links