Know Your Target-Man Shoots Daughter As A Burglar

This is a discussion on Know Your Target-Man Shoots Daughter As A Burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yes, a self-defense scenario gone horribly bad. Not a lot of details, but not many are needed: Stepfather Shoots 14-Year-Old Stepdaughter in Colorado | HEAVY...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Know Your Target-Man Shoots Daughter As A Burglar

VIP Member

Know Your Target-Man Shoots Daughter As A Burglar

Yes, a self-defense scenario gone horribly bad. Not a lot of details, but not many are needed:
    Stepfather Shoots 14-Year-Old Stepdaughter in Colorado | HEAVY
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Tragic. The girl was coming through the window - probably just snuck out, met up with some friends, then came home later and was sneaking back in. What some teens have been doing for decades.

Lots of ways to possibly avoid this...make sure all are present and accounted for....a quick illumination before taking a shot...
    Jeanlouise and brocktice like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Horrible beyond belief. Anyone who lives with other people in the house, especially teenagers, should know never to assume the noise in the basement is an intruder.

This is the perfect story for the Anti's. I expect to see it all over the main stream.
    Oldpsufan and Eagleks like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

mkh
    Tragic and stupid.

If your daddy carrys a gun then don't sneak into the house through a widow. Man up and come in through a door to get your punishment - that's better than being dead.
    redmc, bigdogtx, Ianthin and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Tragic and stupid.

If your daddy carrys a gun then don't sneak into the house through a widow. Man up and come in through a door to get your punishment - that's better than being dead.
    Particularly if your daddy is an inveterate moron who fires multiple rounds into shadowy figures without the benefit of target identification or clear level of threat.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Horrible beyond belief. Anyone who lives with other people in the house, especially teenagers, should know never to assume the noise in the basement is an intruder.

This is the perfect story for the Anti's. I expect to see it all over the main stream.
    One news source quoted the police as indicating the dad probably wouldn't be charged because of Colorado's "make my day" law.

Man kills stepdaughter, may have thought she was a burglar - CBS News
    Tuco

A good flash light should be part of any home defense. I cannot understand anyone shooting without knowing the target.As has been said, tragic and stupid.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Know your target.
    lionround and Christopher67 like this.

bad, bad, bad.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    We can learn from this without being so judgmental. None of us know exactly how this unfolded. Perhaps the man gave vocal commands and the daughter didn't respond. Perhaps she was wearing something that he wouldn't normally be able to identify her with.

Ultimately, if you live with someone you need to be sure of your target but let's not assume this guy "is an idiot". I'm sure he's going through hell right now.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I live in Colorado Springs and at the time that the shooing happened, lighting should not have been an issue. Unfortunately I think this was another case of shooting without identifying the target.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    We can learn from this without being so judgmental.
    Sorry but I am going to be judgmental. One of the basic firearm rules is "Know your target and what is beyond it". He evidently wanted to kill his stepdaughter or didn't follow this rule. These kind of gun owners make the rest of us look bad. Sure I feel bad that he shot his stepdaughter, but he was the one with his finger on the trigger, he was the one that has the responsibility to make SURE of what he is shooting.

VIP Member
    We can learn from this without being so judgmental. None of us know exactly how this unfolded. Perhaps the man gave vocal commands and the daughter didn't respond. Perhaps she was wearing something that he wouldn't normally be able to identify her with.

Ultimately, if you live with someone you need to be sure of your target but let's not assume this guy "is an idiot". I'm sure he's going through hell right now.
    Agree, don't have all the facts. But knowing your target is key, as is knowing where people are in your house.

I have a plan if there is a break-in at night, and it involves knowing where my loved ones are.

Perhaps the kid made it look like she was in bed, the old Ferris Beuller trick. Who knows. But this still illustrates the importance of having a positive ID on your target.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    What redmc said.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member

Sorry, but incompetence gets no benefit of the doubt. Know your target before you pull the trigger.
    wmhawth and JDE101 like this.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links