Store owner defends himself from an armed disgruntled ex-employee

This is a discussion on Store owner defends himself from an armed disgruntled ex-employee within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This week, the owner of a sports memorabilia store in Cooperstown, NY (home of the baseball hall of fame) defended himself from an angry former ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Store owner defends himself from an armed disgruntled ex-employee

This week, the owner of a sports memorabilia store in Cooperstown, NY (home of the baseball hall of fame) defended himself from an angry former employee. Vincent Carfagno, the store owner, had fired and reported his former employee, Barry Renet, for embezzling money from the store. Renet returned with a handgun and wearing a ski mask. However, the prepared Carfagno drew his own firearm and shot at his attacker and caused him to flee.
    He was later caught in Richmond, VA.

UPDATE: Man involved in Cooperstown shooting arrested | WBNG-TV: News, Sports and Weather Binghamton, New York | Local

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    This week, the owner of a sports memorabilia store in Cooperstown, NY (home of the baseball hall of fame) defended himself from an angry former employee. Vincent Carfagno, the store owner, had fired and reported his former employee, Barry Renet, for embezzling money from the store. Renet returned with a handgun and wearing a ski mask. However, the prepared Carfagno drew his own firearm and shot at his attacker and caused him to flee.
    He was later caught in Richmond, VA.

UPDATE: Man involved in Cooperstown shooting arrested | WBNG-TV: News, Sports and Weather Binghamton, New York | Local
    Looks like someone needs some range time.

Typical BG tactic get out of a hole by digging it deeper.
    Wolf357 and NONAME762 like this.

Good for him!
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Typical BG tactic get out of a hole by digging it deeper.
    I will also add the employees i have let go never own the problem(s) that got them fired in the first place it is always someone elses fault .

Glad this guy had a lead bullet in him .
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I got fired once, and it was both of our faults--he was a jerk and I wasn't bowing down to him. Never so happy to get the boot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Looks like someone needs some range time.

Really. Inside a store? What are we looking at, 20, 30, 40 feet? I shoot a 9 so first hit to get his attention, second would put him down.

Distinguished Member
    Nice to see the store owner is not even being looked at for a crime. Now in New York...
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Really. Inside a store? What are we looking at, 20, 30, 40 feet? I shoot a 9 so first hit to get his attention, second would put him down.
    Not trying to be combative here but have you ever been the victim of an armed robery? Have you ever been in a shoot out with a bad guy.

To me it would seem that most people that had been in that situation wouldn't comment on the armed shop owners marksmanship especially from just an Internet artical.

I applaud the guy for being prepared. I would be happy with the outcome if I was in his shoes.

When the "S" hits the fan not many people know how they will react. Training and mindset help but nothing can simulate the actual experience. Any newly graduated just hired police officer will have more training that most civilians and most on this board. Still untill they are "in it" they don't know how they will react. Even those with "battle experience" make mistakes at times.

Just saying, lighten up and keep things in perspective.

Good for the store owner. Funny things happen when the adrenaline starts pumpin'.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Not trying to be combative here but have you ever been the victim of an armed robery? Have you ever been in a shoot out with a bad guy.

To me it would seem that most people that had been in that situation wouldn't comment on the armed shop owners marksmanship especially from just an Internet artical.

I applaud the guy for being prepared. I would be happy with the outcome if I was in his shoes.

When the "S" hits the fan not many people know how they will react. Training and mindset help but nothing can simulate the actual experience. Any newly graduated just hired police officer will have more training that most civilians and most on this board. Still untill they are "in it" they don't know how they will react. Even those with "battle experience" make mistakes at times.

If you have done any training other than just what it takes to get you CC and go to the range more than twice a year you have most likely shoot you gun more and have more training than most all LEO's. Just because they have a badge and a gun does not mean they are experts when it comes to guns or gun fighting. Do yourself a favor and don't compare yourself to LEO's and how good they are most aren't.

I do agree no matter how trained you are you don't know just how you will react but training and mindset will make a big difference in your reaction. Train to the point your reaction is automatic and not something you have to think about to get it done. Make it you not a hobby.

Most will say they don't have time but just dry-fire practicing the draw and making a good first hit will be a big advantage when the time comes.

Just Me and my thoughts....
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Poor Sniviling Left Wingers complaining that this World has gone Nuts, Imagine needing a GUN to defend yourself!

I agree this world has gone NUTS! And all the Thugs in it are thinking they can walk all over whomever they want at the point of a gun because they have no fear of being stopped.
    Certainly they do not fear going to Prison! They have revolving doors on them!

That's why we as Law Abiding Citizens need to fight fire with Fire. We have to teach our Children that dishonesty is not a good thing. Arm ourselves and stop the madness lest you and I become the next chalk outline on the floor. Make Armed Robery a fatally dangerous buisness for the Predators.
    Wolf357 likes this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    Poor Sniviling Left Wingers complaining that this World has gone Nuts, Imagine needing a GUN to defend yourself!

I agree this world has gone NUTS! And all the Thugs in it are thinking they can walk all over whomever they want at the point of a gun because they have no fear of being stopped.
    Certainly they do not fear going to Prison! They have revolving doors on them!

That's why we as Law Abiding Citizens need to fight fire with Fire. We have to teach our Children that dishonesty is not a good thing. Arm ourselves and stop the madness lest you and I become the next chalk outline on the floor. Make Armed Robery a fatally dangerous buisness for the Predators.
    Amen to that, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post

I get more range time each week than most LEO's do in 10 years of range qualification,I've seen more than my share of people that buy a gun and ammo load it and never fire a shot expecting the gun to fire flawlessly if they need it and expect to hit the target under high stress,shooting is a perishable skill.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Since there are a couple of posts here sort of knocking LEOs ability to shoot, here are a couple of examples from my LEO days that point in the opposite direction. The first was a patrol officer. Gary was staking out a 7-11 convenience store when the BG entered, pulled a gun and demanded money. Gary stepped out from the back, ordered BG to drop the gun. BG had other ideas and fired a shot at Gary. Gary put two .357 magnum rounds in BG's chest - instantly ending BG's career. In another convenience store robbery - a Circle K this time - a detective named Mike was in the store when the robbery went down. Mike drew his .45 1911, challenged the BG to drop the gun. Instead, BG began to turn the gun toward Mike who responded by firing one round into BG's upper thoracic cavity. BG then dropped the gun, ran out the door and made it across the 4-lane street before expiring.

You might fault Gary for allowing the BG to fire at him first and you might fault Mike for not firing at least a double tap instead of one round, but you can't fault their marksmanship under stress. It was flawless - three rounds fired, three vital area hits.

Interesting side-note: During the post-incident investigation, Gary said he fired one round. He was absolutely sure he had only fired one round, but inspection of his revolver and the BG confirmed he had fired two. Even after being shown this fact, he said he had no memory at all of firing the second shot. Stress does interesting things to our perception. Also note in Mike's case that a .45 ACP to the chest did not immediately stop the BG and did not knock him down. It did kill him, but he was still functional for the time it took him to bleed out internally. He chose to drop the gun and run, but he could have chosen to shoot back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links