Shreveport Shooting - Lesson for us!

This is a discussion on Shreveport Shooting - Lesson for us! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...-home-invasion There is another thread about this store so I didn't want to highjack it... I think there is a lesson for all of us ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By SCXDm9
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Sarge65
  • 2 Post By SCXDm9
  • 2 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Shreveport Shooting - Lesson for us!

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...-home-invasion

There is another thread about this store so I didn't want to highjack it... I think there is a lesson for all of us in this store. This kid found her safe in an earlier burglary and came back to force her to open it for him!

Remember your safe is only as good as the hiding place you put it in. When I bought my safe the Locksmith did a good job of explaining how a safe lock only buys time, a good hiding place for your safe keeps your stuff safe. He had knowledge of many cases of robbers returning with better tools and more time to open or take the safe.
    Last edited by SCXDm9; January 7th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Return engagements are frequent, if there is any success on "opening night."

Neighborhoods are at risk as well... If your neighbor was robbed, the odds are more likely that you will be, too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Link not working
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge65 View Post
    Link not working
    fixed it, thanks
    Sarge65 and gatorbait51 like this.

IMO, safes are a "gift and a curse" type deal. They're great to have in the event of a fire or even a flood. Great place to store important documents and also ensures they won't get lost. They keep honest folks honest much like locks do. The downside? When people see one, their first thought isn't "oh, there's probably just life insurance papers, passports, and birth certificates in there" - no, no, no, it's more along the lines of having visions of Indiana Jones type treasure. Huge diamonds, gold, and stacks of cash. The things some people are willing to kill over.

I'm not saying having a safe is a bad idea (speaking of 'general' safes in this post - not gun safes) but I'd definitely suggest hiding it as best as you can if you do have one. It reminds me of an old fable I read back in middle school about a family who's home was never visited by transients or broken into... until they put up a fence. The fence suggested to the travelers and criminals that something worth protecting was inside.
    SCXDm9 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    This is not a story about self defense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links