Pit bull Attack - Page 3

Pit bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not really pro or anti-pit bull, but I find it interesting the degree to which the "deed not breed" folks seem to discount biology ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull Attack

I'm not really pro or anti-pit bull, but I find it interesting the degree to which the "deed not breed" folks seem to discount biology in the dog's behavior. Wolves and dogs are the same species, yet they behave very differently. Even when socialized the same way, wolves are still more dangerous than any breed of dog. However, just forty years of selective breeding (pdf) can turn wild foxes into very human-friendly ones, so genetic factors seem to play a big role in dog-human interaction.

I wonder if the ease of breeding in (or out) these human friendly traits may be responsible for these widely differing views of pit bulls, dobermans, etc. While the appearance of the foxes in the study changed when they were domesticated, the breeders there were going only for temperament, ignoring appearance. Domestic dog breeders obviously need to maintain a consistent appearance. If you try, it's probably possible to breed in or out human-friendly traits without much change in outward appearance. Those who say that pit bulls are really very cuddly creatures may have experience with animals bred for friendliness, while those who claim they are the devil incarnate are talking about dogs bred for aggressiveness. Effectively, we could be talking about two different types of dog which get classified as the same breed because they've been selectively bred for the same exterior appearance.

I think genetics probably is a big factor in aggressive dogs, but I think it probably takes place at a much more subtle level than the "breed".

On a side note in a county not too far north of here their was another pit bull attack yesterday, this time it was a teen and several animals, the kid will survive but is real tore up, the County police were hunting them last I heard.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Last month, my 5 yr old daughter was attacked by a stray dog without provocation. (It appeared to be a pitbull/something mix). He bit her in the face, and tore out one of her teeth. He was dead within a minute of the incident. (Winchester RA9TA is GREAT stuff, BTW)
    The beautiful thing about living here in East Tennessee is that when I called the county health dept regarding a rabies test, I got someone with actual down to earth common sense. The guy asked me "you did shoot it, didn't you"? - "Good." - "You didn't shoot it in the head, did you"? - "You shot it in the chest ?- good, that won't affect the lab work. Chop off it's head, pack it in ice and bring it on down to the lab". The second day we got the results - it was negative, thank GOD.
    Much better than living in a city full of hysterical liberals... I LOVE this place!!!

Sounds like i Need to move to TN!!!!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Sounds like she did a great job. You should be proud of her.

I too will be buying each of my kids their first handguns, but the difference is I am buying the guns when they turn 16. They then have 5 years to practice with "their" gun and really learn it inside and out. Then, on their 21st birthday, I will transfer ownership of the gun to them. I will also pay for their CCW class and permit.

You taught her good Dad. You should be proud of her but you should be just as proud of yourself for training her and giving her the ability to protect her life.
    Good job Sir.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Folks, I gotta agree with Gary on this one.

I have, in the past, adopted a "shoot on sight" (at least for unleashed, no owner present specimens that wander into my yard), but I have moderated that stance as age has mellowed me.

Get the kids inside. But if it so much as TWITCHES in the direction of my house, and it isn't pretty firmly leashed, the piece comes out, owner or no owner.

I hate'em.

They're illegal in my little town, anyway.

I had to shoot a couple of Rottweilers that trespassed into my fenced back yard about ten years ago. But I'll post that separately in order not hijack this puppy.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Usually the owner doesn't get what should be coming to them, but I know of 1 person serving a prison sentence because her 3 pit bulls escaped and killed a woman. They were attacking someone else when a Sheriff's Deputy arrived and killed them with his pistol.

Recently I was walking with my wife and saw a large dog barking at us and lunging around in an open garage across the street. It was probably tied up, but I moved my hand near to the grip of my concealed G21. The owner was in the front yard and went in to quiet the beast.

Years ago I read that only the animal's head is required for a rabies lab test. Another reason to carry a knife...

It' too bad the dog had to be murdered. It's one thing to defend ones property, but quite another when you chase the dog down and kill it. Too cruel...

I'm glad your daughter shot the dog and didn't get hurt. Dont forget to sue the dog owner and the city/county. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    It' too bad the dog had to be murdered. It's one thing to defend ones property, but quite another when you chase the dog down and kill it. Too cruel...
    You can only murder a human, a POS dog that has killed a total of 3 prize goats that were pregnant with a total of 5 babies, 1 prize sheep, 1 duck and a barn cat, not only deserved to be chased down after wounding, but should have been allowed to die slowly and painfully as it did to her animals, maybe it is my masochistic tendencies but after being attacked by dogs my self over 3 times in my 55 years it really grinds me when someone feels sorry for a real blood thirsty killing machine and is upset when it is finally humanely put down after being wounded.
    Try living in the country where packs of dogs regularly roam and kill anything they can find, better yet tell it to the teenager that is going to be spending the next few months in the hospital about 25 miles north of here after being attacked by the pack of Pit Bulls. Then maybe after some of your pets have been brutally killed, and kids have been attacked and mauled a few times I bet my next years pay against yours that you will feel different. Yeah I use to feel like that at one time then 30 years in the country changed all that, it was called a reality check.

So what would you have done, let it chew you up while you took it to the vet and spent several K to have it fixed up so we can have it put down by a needle?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but their was just yet another news story of a dog attack on the tube, N the dog attacks are definitely getting out of hand.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

[QUOTE=Sheldon J;265139]You can only murder a human...QUOTE]

I was just wondering how long it would take for the s@(t to hit the Packerfan!

Hey, in our society, dogs are people, too, don'tch know! Ouch! Sorry for insulting the dogs!

PETA alert!

double post

You say kill, I say murder.

If you haven't already guessed, I own a couple of Pitts. They are great dogs. I hate to see one have to be killed because it was mistreated or neglected by whomever. I'm sorry for your goats but I'm also sorry for the Pitt that was probably hungry or abused. Would I let a Pit or any other animal maul something I loved? No, but I don't think I would hunt it down and kill it either when there are other options.

BTW, I'm not PETAs president or whatever, I'm an avid hunter that has respect for animals.

You say murder I say killed, I stand by what I say, your's may be sweet little puppies for now, but I pray you do not have any small children, Pits are dangerous it is part of the breed. Further the rule of the Farm is now SSS, so this will not be allowed to happen again. My daughter keeps her dog under control, it is either on a chain, leash, in the house or it's kennel, the owner bears just as much sin as does the dog and should be punished accordingly by law. Remember this when your's get loose and the police come a knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I pray you do not have any small children, Pits are dangerous it is part of the breed.
    Pits are no more dangerous than a Rottie or Boxer or Chow. The fact of the matter is that labs bite more poeple per year than any of the above listed breeds. And btw, I had my 22 month old neice and 5 year old nephew over this past weekend and both of them were playing with my dogs the whole time (and not always the nicest) but my dogs were raised right and I don't worry one bit. They are protectors and don't have a viscious bone in their bodys. But if a dog, any dog, is abused or neglected, then things like what happened to the goats can happen.

My daughter keeps her dog under control, it is either on a chain, leash, in the house or it's kennel, the owner bears just as much sin as does the dog and should be punished accordingly by law.
    As do I, and most all other responsible pet owners. Absolutely, assuming it's not a stray.

Remember this when your's get loose and the police come a knocking.
    Even if my dogs were to get out and about, they are too friendly to do any harm to anyone so I don't expect the police coming anytime soon. And so I'm not misunderstood, I don't have a problem with shooting the dog. I just wouldn't have chased it down and 'killed' it. And that's all I got to say 'bout that.

I tend to agree with aspects of Sheldon and Packerfans arguments.

I think that Pitt Bulls are more inherently predisposed to being aggressive, especially if they are not raised correctly or abused. But, I have read stories and been present after the fact at a scene where one family pet Pitt Bull simply snapped and attacked the owners small child. The little boy was 4 years old and was mauled very badly.

I think Pitts can be good pets but, I think the risk to the general public outweigh the possibility of them being good pets. I would prefer they be outlawed.

And while it may be true that Labs bite more people than any other breed every year, Pitts do not tend to bite. They do not tend to nip when annoyed. They snap and maul. They go for a kill.

Be happy with your Pitt Bulls Packerfan. Treat them well. Just don't trust them 100% with those small children.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links