Pit bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by PT-111 , I have read stories and been present after the fact at a scene where one family pet Pitt Bull simply ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull Attack

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    , I have read stories and been present after the fact at a scene where one family pet Pitt Bull simply snapped and attacked the owners small child. The little boy was 4 years old and was mauled very badly.

They do not tend to nip when annoyed. They snap and maul. They go for a kill.

Be happy with your Pitt Bulls Packerfan. Treat them well. Just don't trust them 100% with those small children.
    Can I here a great big AMEN especially for the last part!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

I agree with PackerfanXD, you say kill - I say MURDER. I own a pitbull, And A DOG IS A DOG. If you don't train them properly they take on their animal instinct. They are wild animals we have chosen to domesticate. A properly trained dog is a great asset to any family. Pit Bulls are the most affectionate dogs I have owned. As far as dogs attacking kids.... Don't let them be alone with a WILD animal. PERIOD! PIT OR NOT. kids tend to tease dogs, pull their ears try and ride them. Things I'm sure you wouldn't like either and if you were a WILD animal you might revert to your primative ways and attack the problem. Chasing down an already injured animal to keep shooting it two more times is plan MURDER. SHE should be locked up for animal cruelty rather than taken out for drinks when she turns 21.

ADD ON: And to think your one town next to me, I better not go on a run with my pitbull by your house, you might run both of us down.
    Last edited by XD45Golfer; April 10th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: just found out the dog murderer lives near me.
    "The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Wouldn't a dog thats a house pet be a domestic animal?

I always thought a wild animal was one that lives or once lived in the wild, or otherwise undomesticated.
    "Just blame Sixto"

not murder, she prolly was raised that you don't let injured dangerous animals run loose...

the sad part is the owner needs to be the responsible party.

once that pitt got a taste of domesticated goat it should have been collected by the state and humanely destroyed.

just my opinion

An intolerant dog lover here. Intolerant of lousy, lazy owners that don't train and contain their dogs. Dogs are pack animals, and untrained, unsocialized dogs can be very dangerous. Is it necessary to kill or murder (I fail to want to argue a distinction without a difference) a dog that has attacked and or killed any livestock? Humans? Yes. That's that. SSS. If you track and terminate a wounded dog, you've just performed euthanasia. It's simple.

I have three dogs currently. A Doberman, a GSD, and a Dumpster Rescue Gentleman. Two with "bad" reputations. They sleep with us in the MBR, we have a fenced yard, they're trained. I always watch them with strangers, and especially children, just because it is my responsibility. I feel exactly the same about most breeds, but based on my experience and knowledge some breeds rightfully deserve extra close attention.

If any got out and harrased the cattle next door, and the rancher used his Model 94, I'd be frustrated for MY failure, and sad for the dog, but sometimes life just sucks. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Life is pretty simple for a simple guy like me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake View Post
    Im glad she was able to defend her property ect.. and was willing to do so.?But I would like to point out that the type of folks that own a violent animal. And know it is willing and capable of killing for funn and keep it might not be the best sort of folks to begine with. she might want to be verry wary and keep her eyes open just in case they retaliate. i have nothing aginst pitbulls, think there a fine breed of dog when cared for and trained properly but this one sounds like it might have the kinda owners that this breed of dog most offten atracts druggys ect... so please tell her to be verry carefull
    I own 2 american pitbull terriers!
    your assumption about "the type of people" that own these dogs is horse $hit!!!
    I dont do drugs,hell i dont even drink!
    im willing to bet it wasnt even a pitbull! it was probably a dog that "looked like" a pitbull.

I agree that the owner should be held at fault and should pay for the loss and damages.but to say that if you own a pitbull chances are your a "druggy" is crap!

Im assuming you own a few guns so does that make you a criminal?

wow, another case of pitbull bias. i'm going to side with the dogs on this one. i am a former owner of a pitbull (who died of old age), and the aggressive behavior he ever displayed was in DEFENSE OF HIS PACK, ie., myself and family members. he was not good around small children, but it was due to his large size and general clumsiness. by and large, he was an affectionate dog, very sociable, and quite goofy. many dog experts agree that pitbulls do not make good guard dogs because of their sociable disposition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pitbull_Terrier

in a way, pitbulls are seen by the general populace in the same light as many of us here on the forum are: brutish and dangerous beasts, who serve no purpose in society but to do harm. we all know that isn't the case where people are concerned. why is so hard to accept that maybe pitbulls suffer the same "bad press" that gun owners do? i grew up in NYC, where pitbulls were pretty common, but i never knew, saw, or heard of any case where a pit hospitalized or killed anybody; i can't say the same for german sheperds, dobies, and rotties. whenever i did hear or read about a pitbull attack in the news, the facts were pretty consistent: 1. the owner, normally a hoodlum, raised it to be vicious. 2. the dog was abused or neglected. 3. the dog was acting the way any dog would react to a perceived threat.

i 'm not going to say shooting a dog in defense of life and property is wrong; if my dog had ever gone cujo, i'd have put him down in a second. but to actively go out and hunt a dog down just to kill it is just wrong.

i don't mean to rant, but this happens to be a topic a take personally, as a (former) pitbull owner. i hope someday people will see past the "gangsta" image the media has encouraged about these dogs. i hope even more that the people on this forum are wise enough to do it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    You say murder I say killed, I stand by what I say, your's may be sweet little puppies for now, but I pray you do not have any small children, Pits are dangerous it is part of the breed. Further the rule of the Farm is now SSS, so this will not be allowed to happen again. My daughter keeps her dog under control, it is either on a chain, leash, in the house or it's kennel, the owner bears just as much sin as does the dog and should be punished accordingly by law. Remember this when your's get loose and the police come a knocking.
    heres another sheepish statement!

I do have a nine year old and a 2 year old!

my pits are 2 and 3 years old and are the best dogs I ever had.
    you only listen to what the media wants you to hear.
    there is a list of dog breeds that includes the percentage rate of attacks and the pitbull is 3rd from the bottom with labs at the top!!
    why is your sisters dog any different? let me tell you this,if your sisters dog was to get off the chain or out of the kennel and went to someones house and did the same thing ill bet you my last dollar someone will say it was a pitbull to blame!

blame the deed not the breed!!
    you should be knockin on the owners door!

I like Pitt Bulls but I don't trust them around small children. People who own these dogs and let them run free are asking for trouble. We have a apartment building close to us that houses elderly people. these people have small dogs which they walk in our neighberhood. These people are in wheelchairs sometimes. There are 2 pitt Bulls who are running free and it's just matter of time until they attack one of our elderly people or their dog. They have gone after other dogs before. Animal control has been out here but have yet to catch them.
    I'm all for people who do not abuse their dogs and don't let them run free but a lot of people do and this is what gives them a bad reputation. They are just like guns. if abused they can be dangerous.

I agree 110% tom!
    no dogs should be running free regardless of breed.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Last month, my 5 yr old daughter was attacked by a stray dog without provocation. (It appeared to be a pitbull/something mix). He bit her in the face, and tore out one of her teeth.
    That is one of my nightmares. Hope to God your daughter is not permanently scarred (physucally and emotionally) by the attack.

If there was ever a reason to draw and fire, a child in danger is it.

You can only murder a human, a POS dog that has killed a total of 3 prize goats that were pregnant with a total of 5 babies, 1 prize sheep, 1 duck and a barn cat, not only deserved to be chased down after wounding, but should have been allowed to die slowly and painfully as it did to her animals
    i agree that dog needed to be put down, but come on, itsa dog... die slowly and painfully for what nature instilled in it?

the difference between animals and humans is an elevated sense of logic. you can't hold an animal to human standards, and the only thing to gain from makin an animal suffer is some sick sense of personal satsifaction that, if you think is that strong in you, would probably earn you recommendations to seek professional help in the mental area.

the dog had to die. certain breeds of dog have more of a propensity to revert to primal more brutal states of mind, but all do to one degree or another. proper attention and love with any creature will produce results. he11, even lions and tigers can be trained to be loyal and affectionate, and if fed regularly, you'll likely have no problems. those defending their pits and chows, go out and grab yourselves something more exotic, and have fun, for all i care. but when that animal is not in your care, and on someone else's property, doing harm/damage, and you're shocked and suprised it would do such, dont be so foolish as to believe it is a one time event.

once they learn to get loose, they'll do so again, and again. once they learn to hunt, they'll do so again, and again.

have your neighbor buy his/herself a female, unfixed, and let it roam around an outdoor pen, and lets see how far that domestication flys....

sure, the same applies to any breed, but to insinuate all breeds are the same in the head, is crazy talk. i cant believe no K9 officers have jumped in on this, yet.

I will attempt to not sound like some UN puke; I see both sides of this arguement. I will start by saying that I have owned and trained dogs for 30+ years. I will use an American Water Spaniel that I trained for field and fowl. She was as sweet and polite as any dog I have ever owned. There was an exception, <6 year old children made her nervous and aggressive. I went to a professional trainer (nationally respected) and told him of my problem; he sent me to a breed expert that had the modern lineage on file. He traced my dog back to a specific spaniel that he had experience with. This sire was predominant in her background and was known to be aggressive with great hunting skills. He was introduced in multiple breedings and ended up being the largest percentage of her breeding. He told me that what I got was engineered and suggested that I focus on control and obedience and keep her always under a watchful eye. I did and further worked on reinforcing my pack leader status. I kept her in a fenced enclosure (yard) walked her always on leash and let neighbors with small children know of my fears and potential dangers. When clueless Mommys with their kids in tow would approach to pet her I would tell them that I didn't allow that. They would look at me like I had breasts on my forehead.
    She died of natural causes at the age of 13 and never bit anyone. I doubt she would have had a flawless record if I had not recognized, trained and mitigated for her personality flaws.
    That being said, Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) always states that he rehabilitates dogs and trains people. I would bet several paychecks that I could take a problem Pit and make it into a good dog. The dog could live with me and we would be happy and get along. I would never allow that dog to be put in a situation to fail and would protect it from itself and others. This is why I have been around and hear from people that have great pits, rots and similar dogs. This boils down to the owners of these animals and the balanced nature of their pack, training and ultimate control. People that let there dogs run are looking for trouble, by a buick or someone protecting their property. We all need to be responsible for our decisions whether that is carrying, having children, driving or owning a pet.
    Too often we are victimized by those that can't grasp responsibility as a concept of concern.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    I own 2 american pitbull terriers!
    your assumption about "the type of people" that own these dogs is horse $hit!!!
    I dont do drugs,hell i dont even drink!
    im willing to bet it wasnt even a pitbull! it was probably a dog that "looked like" a pitbull.

I agree that the owner should be held at fault and should pay for the loss and damages.but to say that if you own a pitbull chances are your a "druggy" is crap!

Im assuming you own a few guns so does that make you a criminal?
    I used to own Staffordshire Terriers in the past. Now I own Bullmastiffs. Never had a problem with by boys, not now or ever. Part of which is because they are indoor, family dogs and are NEVER outside unless they are on a leasch, walking by my side. Thus they are very highly socialized and always under my control.

My youngest son weighs over 140 lbs and can run down any athlete in full sprint. Yet he is an angel. Could he be a dangerous, menacing threat to the general public? Sure. But not after being raised in my home. In the meantime, there is not a day that I am not the recipient of unfounded dog bigotry when we are in public. As a result, I have a particular disdain for those that spread false information about dogs when they are dog ignorant.

Anyhoo, I don't think ssssthesnake was referring to anyone that is a responsible dog owner, Staffy or not, but to the poor caretaker that allowed their pet to bring to a demise the goats owned by the OP's daughter. In other words, I'm going to give the benefit of doubt and assume snake was referring directly to the dog that killed the livestock in question when a reference was made to a violent animal and not prototyping the breed itself.

JBrandon's remark that "The dogs are now being poorly bred and sold to less than desirable types of people" could not be overstated, especially that in bold. Inbreeding brings out the very worst personality characteristics of this fine animal, and unfortunately, the same blood lines are commonly crossed many times by among cottage industry "breeders" making some dogs monsters truly. The other part of owning a Staffy is knowing "how" to raise them. It's not as simple as putting out food and water, etc. They are complex animals with personalities and it takes an understanding of the breed for the owner to accentuate the best qualities and minimize the others before they become problems. Very few of your average terrier owners know this.

Know how some of us refrain from saying "assault weapon" because it was intended by the gun control moonbats to be patently inflammatory and to incite a negative value judgement among the sheeple? For the same reasons, I never say "pit bull" because the ones that I've known are not the killers that are expected to be associated with the name. YMMV.

BTW, beautiful dog, PackerfanXD.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

TPO
    We live in North Texas, and the county is about 1000 square miles with less than 8,000 people. It is by definition farming and ranching country. The accepted rule here is SSS (shot them, shovel them and shutup). Some of my best practice comes from coyotes and dogs I spot on my small ranch. The neighbors (closest one is a mile away keeps his dogs in his high fenced yard). He agrees with the 3 S principle. He has had his dogs a long time. Most dogs crossing the ranches in this county are loose dogs of irresponsible owners or dumps. There is a special place in Hell for people who dump animals.
    As Constable for my fair county I have killed several dogs on duty as a Peace Officer. It has gotten now that with "new folks" coming into the county and/or passing thru, that when called out I usually exit my patrol vehicle with my shotgun. I have had lowlifes and dopers sic dogs on me or my deputies. The shotgun ends the problem in a humane manner and then I automatically file assualt on a Peace Officer charges on the owner(s); in addition to whatever other charges they "earned". The sheriff follows the same policy. A dog is nothing more than a mouthful of knives directed by disposition, training and very limited brain power. God gave us the animals to raise, use,eat and care for.....the unfortunate thing is that many folks are dumber than their animals. Animals do not understand vengence, revenge, prejudice and or hatred....those are people dispositions. Killing an animal is perfectly acceptable if done quickly as possible. In Texas there is no such thing as the concept of murdering an animal......murder is a legal concept for the definition of unjustified/justified killing of a human being.
    I value my livestock (cattle and horses) and health and the well being of my deputies far more than than the free roaming dog(s).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links