Pit bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I agree with you. im glad you said that about the bloodlines and tight breedings. These are the results of people not knowing what there ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull Attack

I agree with you.
    im glad you said that about the bloodlines and tight breedings.
    These are the results of people not knowing what there doing and just breeding for size or collor to make a buck!
    people dont understand that when you cross the same bloodlines to create or achieve a certain color or size that you also intensify the bad genetics even more.

anyhow, I'M done with this topic for now.
    If I offended anyone I appologize,But this is a topic I feel very strongly about! My dogs mean to me as much as my guns do!!
    and i am willing to give them up just as easy!

2. Remove Ads

I live down here in South Texas where a number of violent Dog attacks have occured in recent years, prompting the state legislature to pass a bill stiffening the penalties for owners who have vicious animals that attack other animals or people. I think the issue here is not that specific breeds are bad, because a Dog is like having a child regardless of Breed. I was a German Shepherd owner for 15 years, until Wynken passed away from old age. During his life, he never attacked anyone, and was the constant playmate of my three boys from birth until my oldest was 5. the real issue boils down to control. I have carried a concealed weapon for 25 years, even before there was a law here allowing it. I liken the weapon to a child, because I always have to keep track of it at all times. A dangerous aggressive Dog is the same way. If you cannot secure it, and maintain control of your Dog, bad things will happen. Back in 1995, I had to kill a Dog that attacked me while I was jogging; The owner tried to press charges against me for doing so, but the county DA told him he was lucky I was not filing charges, as he could have been jailed for criminal negligence or assault. Either way, I think that pet owners should be held liable for the damages their animals cause.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i don't mean to rant, but this happens to be a topic a take personally, as a (former) pitbull owner. i hope someday people will see past the "gangsta" image the media has encouraged about these dogs. i hope even more that the people on this forum are wise enough to do it first.
    It's not just with dogs; the media is encouraging and glamorizing "gangsta"-ism in general now. The whole trend of rap music is glamorization of gang activity.

Pitts

I just shot two pitbulls that were walking through my yard on Sun. A dog comes on my land, BANG. No dog problem. I do not put up with owners that do not watch over their pets. You want a dog for a pet? watch it then. Don't ask everyone else too. I am not into "It takes a village" Hillary Clinton thinking about pets or kids.

i guess i should have included this in my last post: i do believe in the protection of life and property, and responsible dog ownership. all dogs, regardless of breed, should be leashed, or at the very least, closely supervised. to let any dog run loose, any dog, is dangerous at worst, and irresponsible at best. i'm not some PETA whacko who thinks "meat is murder". if a pitbull i didn't know was on my property, and was in attack mode, i'd empty a clip, then reload, just be sure. i just don't condone the hunting down of dogs once the threat is gone, and i'm tired of the pitbull bias that's gotten out of control. all dogs are dangerous, or none are.

"Killing an animal is perfectly acceptable if done quickly as possible. In Texas there is no such thing as the concept of murdering an animal......murder is a legal concept for the definition of unjustified/justified killing of a human being.
    I value my livestock (cattle and horses) and health and the well being of my deputies far more than than the free roaming dog("

Great post. About three months ago i was charged by a feral dog while hunting. It was a huge, shaggy white dog-probably a Samoyed. It ate two loads of #6 shot at about 15 feet.

An old of mine who was a former lumber jack in the Florida Cyprus swamps had a little three year old granddaughter bitten by a pit bull. He knew where the dog usually stayed on a neighbor's porch. He asked the people at animal control and they said bring in the animal or its head. He walked up on the porch with a .38 and shot the dog and took out his old case pocket knife and decapitated the animal while the neighbor protested. Put it in a sack and told the dog owner that he should keep the dog fastened up. The head checked out negative. The protagonists in this scenario are long dead but that is the way things used to be done.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    An old of mine who was a former lumber jack in the Florida Cyprus swamps had a little three year old granddaughter bitten by a pit bull. He knew where the dog usually stayed on a neighbor's porch. He asked the people at animal control and they said bring in the animal or its head. He walked up on the porch with a .38 and shot the dog and took out his old case pocket knife and decapitated the animal while the neighbor protested. Put it in a sack and told the dog owner that he should keep the dog fastened up. The head checked out negative. The protagonists in this scenario are long dead but that is the way things used to be done.
    I wish I had done then when the dog attacked the first time, if I had their would not have been a second.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

A dog is just like a gun. Not dangerous when controlled by a responsible owner. (including being well-trained while the owner is not home)

I worked for a time replacing electric meters. Usually the home-owners were not present, so I met dozens of unknown dogs every day by trampling thru their backyard alone. Most aggressive dogs? The tiny ones. Of the big dogs, I had trouble with a few, but the one breed I could depend on to be aggressive? Not a pit, or a rottie. A Dalmation.

Pits and Rotweilers get press not because of their aggressiveness, but because of their jaw strength. If a lab or a dalmation bites your hand, you get a wound. If a pit or rottie bites you, you lose fingers. Even though the rottweiler biting you is far less common, the injury is worse, so it gets more negative press.

I would have shot the dog in the same situation. But the breed doesn't really matter, other than their capability to inflict damage.

Most aggressive dogs? The tiny ones
    Yeah but they just shake and pee on you, worst case scenario here is they chew up your tennis shoes.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    A dog is just like a gun. Not dangerous when controlled by a responsible owner. (including being well-trained while the owner is not home)
    I disagree completely. A gun is an inanimate object, and is extremely well-engineered with a couple centuries' worth of knowledge in it. It will not discharge by itself except by very unusual circumstances (like throwing it in a fire).

A dog is a living, intelligent creature. Not as intelligent as a human (well, most of them anyway), but still intelligent and capable of unpredicted action. You can train it all you want, but underneath lies the genetics of a wild, pack-roaming animal.

The physics, chemistry, and mechanics that comprise a firearm and its ammunition are extremely well-understood. The operation of the brain of any mammal is not. Comparing the two is folly.

This is why dogs thought by their owners to be perfectly safe sometimes "snap" and bite children. Why exactly do they do this? Who knows; maybe one day in the far-off future when we fully understand brains we'll have an answer for this, but for now it's all educated guesses.

I worked for a time replacing electric meters. Usually the home-owners were not present, so I met dozens of unknown dogs every day by trampling thru their backyard alone. Most aggressive dogs? The tiny ones. Of the big dogs, I had trouble with a few, but the one breed I could depend on to be aggressive? Not a pit, or a rottie. A Dalmation.

Pits and Rotweilers get press not because of their aggressiveness, but because of their jaw strength. If a lab or a dalmation bites your hand, you get a wound. If a pit or rottie bites you, you lose fingers. Even though the rottweiler biting you is far less common, the injury is worse, so it gets more negative press.
    The press is just reflecting what's really happening to people. If people were being killed and maimed by dalmations, the press would report it. Instead, it's the high bite-strength dogs, because when they attack, death or maiming is the result. It doesn't matter what the frequency is; this is like comparing roller-skating accidents to car accidents. If you fall on skates, you get a scraped knee. If you wreck a car at 80mph, you're probably dead.

What this all amounts to is these particular dogs are a clear and present danger, and have no place in neighborhoods with people and children.

Don't try to equate dogs with guns. A gun in the hands of a responsible adult is just a tool, and is perfectly safe. If the adult can be trusted to not grab an axe and start hacking away at his neighbors, he can be trusted not to shoot them as well. And as a society of humans (not dogs), we entrust our adults with this responsibility, and we punish those who break our trust (though not enough it seems). Dogs don't have the same rights as humans, nor should they. A dog with powerful jaws and a strong body is like a child being given a loaded handgun; how many here advocate giving small children guns to play with unsupervised? This is why I believe these dogs shouldn't be allowed in populated areas. If you want a vicious dog, move out to the sticks.

Yes a dog is a (semi)intelligent creature, not an inanimate object. That doesn't change responsible ownership. Tie it, fence it, post signs, whatever.. Teach it that all humans are dominant to it, it isn't that hard a lesson.

Was I more wary of the big jaw-strength dogs? You bet. I also used a fair knowledge of dog psycology to judge the intentions/attitude of every dog I met. Dogs change attitude for strange reasons too. I've walked around a house, met the dog, all was fine. Came back 2 minutes later (now wearing a hardhat) and the dog turned into Cujo.

Dogs biting children. Yup, it happens. A good owner can prevent that, other than cases of extreme provocation. Kick any dog enough, and it will bite. Some may run first, but they all will bite eventually.

No, comparing dogs to guns wasn't a perfect analogy. But the basic premise is the same. Responsible ownership prevents most of the incidents, even in the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    I trained retrievers for about 8 years Professionally. I Field Trialled all over the US and parts of Canada. I never had a single person bring me, say, a great dane to train, I never once saw a collie at a field trial, never saw a pit bull at one either. Now, why would you think this happened. All I ever was paid to train were Labradors, Chesepeakes, Goldens, a few Britts, never a pit bull??? I can tell you why, all the others do not have the INSTINCT to retrieve. It must be instinct, I have seen it in 4 week old retrievers. What instinct would you think a Pitt Bull is BORN with, not trained for, BORN WITH??? I can assure you that the best retriever trainer in the world could not make a pit bull retrieve ducks in ice cold water. So it is evidently not a TRAINED response. Folks that wonder why a pitt bull, doberman, rott, and other fighting breeds attack make me sit an wonder about them. What do you think those breeds were BRED for, what instinct do they enter this world with, it ain't retrieving, it ain't playing with babies. Not all Labradors make great retrievers, but, the majority of them succeed at it. Just like not all pit bulls attack animals and people, but, they are ALL born with that instinct.
    D

Cajun, please stop because you dont have your facts correct.
    And for someone who has trained dogs for "8 years" your really doing yourself a disservice.

If we speak of only the pit bulls which were used as fighting dogs, these were never BRED for their ability to attack humans. As a matter of fact, any which showed any aggressiveness towards humans was destroyed, as any aggressive behavior in that bloodline made them worthless.

A pit bulls "instinct" is not to attack a human. If some of the best fighting dogs were also some of the best companions then their "instinct" is to fight other dogs, or pull down large bulls, or boars, but not attack a human.

Again, pit bulls are not "BORN" with the "INSTINCT" to attack humans.
    Last edited by Dihappy; April 18th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Dogs biting children. Yup, it happens. A good owner can prevent that, other than cases of extreme provocation. Kick any dog enough, and it will bite. Some may run first, but they all will bite eventually.

No, comparing dogs to guns wasn't a perfect analogy. But the basic premise is the same. Responsible ownership prevents most of the incidents, even in the big city.
    The problem is that most owners of these dogs aren't "good owners". Even worse, there's little penalty for these people when these dogs do attack.

How about this? Let's start treating these dogs more like guns. If I were to plan out a murder and carry it out, I'd be convicted of 1st degree murder. It wouldn't matter if I used a gun, knife, bomb, or even my bare hands; the penalty is the same. Let's do the same with dogs, and simply presume that any actions taken by the dog are intended by its owner. So if your dogs kills a person, you go to prison for life for 1st degree murder, instead of just getting a slap on the wrist and maybe a civil suit.

Cajun, pits are too smart to go jumping in freezing water after some dead bird.

You remember the TV show "Our Gang"? Petey - was a pit, the buster brown dog?? It also was a pit - they were the quintessential American dog and not used in police work for one reason - they've been bred NOT TO ATTACK HUMANS. Think about it - if you're referring to those who fight pits due to their great tenacity - what would happen to one who latched on to the pit master? I'll tell you, it had a very short life expectancy.

I've worked in the ER, and I see more bites by labs and poodles than pits. Most smaller breeds that bite, people don't come in for. Dogs are are animals, and all need proper socialization and temperament discipline from their owners. Just watch the dog whisperer show sometime, just with a change of attitude by the owner, the dog acts very, very differently.

That logic is the same as saying that AR-15's are only for killing people and should with all other assault weapons be banned.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links